EDIT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I Go or Should I Stay Now

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4

Fadedjoebreezy

New

EDIT

Post by Fadedjoebreezy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Last edited by Fadedjoebreezy on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Gold

Re: Frustration

Post by kwais » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm

I think it matters where you are thinking of going, and with what scholarships, although, you said you don't want to be an attorney, so perhaps the matter is settled.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Fadedjoebreezy wrote:So I am once again I am in limbo land w/ law school (Note: Last year I decided to put it off again after acceptances). This year I thought it was my time to go. I am 27 (4 years out of college), been employed as a legal assistant since graduation for two large east coast plf's firms. I even worked out a transfer that would allow me to work and go to school part-time to help with the expense. The initial burden of the expense troubled me the most, but I thought (probably like many others) that I could pay it all off and back through hard work. I now find myself questioning whether I want to be involved in the practice of law at all. After working for two firms, I have no desire to be an associate or even a partner at a law firm of any type. I ideally would work in criminal defense like my father, but I perceive that as a tremendous gamble given the 150k plus debt I would be carrying with me after graduation. I feel it will affect my relationship with my SO and my family. I would barely have the time for anything but study and work. I don't know if I could keep that up for four years, and I am hesitant to take a gamble like that. I have talked and listened to many, but I find most are trying to push me into going because they feel I was "destined" to be an attorney, that I would be good at it, and the "what else would you do" comments are thrown in there. I don't know if any of those comments hold any water, but I am skeptical if I could look myself in the mirror at the end of the day and say I am happy about going to school. I am not sure if there is more of a rant, a ramble or just a call for advice. Any thoughts are appreciated.
What the heck is your question? Go or stay where?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:20 pm

If you want to do criminal defense go a your state school and get a full ride or a sweet deal with in-state tuition. That can cover the expense worry if you don't want Biglaw.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Fadedjoebreezy wrote:After working for two firms, I have no desire to be an associate or even a partner at a law firm of any type.
Uhhh, then don't go to law school ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Also your question is worded in a way that the responses you get are meaningless.

l'aviadora

New

Post by l'aviadora » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:34 pm

Don't go. If you do insist on it, don't take out loans to pay for it. Get a full ride.

From what you said, it seems like you don't really want to go to law school, but other people are trying to influence you that this is the best thing for you. They won't be the ones studying their asses off for three years, risking an established career (if you decide to go full time and quit your job), and taking on massive student loan debt.

Did you get any scholarship offers the last time that you applied?

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Should I go or should I stay?

Yes.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 pm

tl;dr

Want to continue reading?