Do you recommend I declare myself African?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TIKITEMBO

Re: Do you recommend I declare myself African?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:05 pm

This whole thing kind of reminds me of when I worked for the Census last summer. Latino folk would have to check off the box for Latino but then also check off the box for Caucasian. I got a few dirty looks from that when I said I had to mark them down as both.

I know right? People had to fill this out for a program I worked for and my Mexican descendant co-worker was like "WTF?" She didnt' want to have to check "Hispanic" and "Native American" also but that was the only other thing besides "white" (which she didn't consider herself to be) that made any damn sense. However, she did mention she had family that lived down in Texas (also Latino) that claimed to be white. And I will say when I was living in South America it was a MUCH bigger thing. White people all over the advertisements/in power, and my SO who is biracial (black/white) found that people down there who were darker than him considered themselves white. Spanish ancestry is to be thanked for that conundrum.

Anyway, to the OP, I would say check with adcoms. Don't say your name and even use a new email account if you want to, but I would send this all in an email to them so (1) you have something in writing, and (2) you don't have to explain the whole thing over the phone which would potentially lead to them giving you a gut re-action response. I would imagine that the whitest of lily applicants of Mexican descent (of which there are certainly many: check your celebrities folks) could claim URM...OP if you're in a position where you are like what I stated above (mixed background ancestry, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to claim this even if you're considered white in Libya because you have "lighter" skin). Just like Hispanics in the US, you could very well be labeled black or hispanic in this country but white in another. And if law schools are accepting people from Jamaican and Carribean decent as AA, then that label has been stretched already.

Glock

Postby Glock » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 pm

First, I would like to welcome your family to the United States where we do not discriminate based on race. Except when we do. You will end up in a shittier school than an immigrant black person because the diversity fairies don't recognize your plight and they artificially group you into idiotic categories. The special minorities (like immigrant blacks who are no less underrepresented than you) get the benefit and other disadvantaged minorities like yourself pay part of the tab.

Sorry, you probably would be better served by not checking that box. The downsides can be pretty big when they find out that you are Arab Libyan and not Black Libyan and think that you misrepresented that on purpose. There was a person kicked out of my school several years ago for marking Native American when they did not fit the technical definitions, though they had been raised by Native American parents. Good times. You should find out how they define things precisely and go along with it. On the other hand, if they refuse to give you definitions that is their problem.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm of South African White descent. So I checked AA. Somebody gave me a hard time, so I pulled out the dictionary.

Glock

Postby Glock » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:57 pm

lawgod wrote:I'm of South African White descent. So I checked AA. Somebody gave me a hard time, so I pulled out the dictionary.

Fight the power.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Glock wrote:
lawgod wrote:I'm of South African White descent. So I checked AA. Somebody gave me a hard time, so I pulled out the dictionary.

Fight the power.

Ignore lawgod, he's a troll.

Glock

Postby Glock » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Glock wrote:

Fight the power.

I know. I was just having fun. I do appreciate the notice though.

futurelawstudent1

Postby futurelawstudent1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 pm

It's rather ironic that the same people who argue that race doesn't exist take such a strict approach when defining race in college admissions. Just check Black/African American. No one will hold it against you, and you'll get a ten-point boost on your LSAT score.
Last edited by futurelawstudent1 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Glock wrote:

Fight the power.

You're mean.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:17 pm

lawgod wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Glock wrote:

Fight the power.

You're mean.

And you're boring.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 pm

futurelawstudent1 wrote:It's rather ironic that the same people who argue that race doesn't exist take such a strict approach when defining race in college admissions. Just check Black/African American. No one will hold it against you, and you'll get a ten-point boost on your LSAT score.

Take advice from this guy.

See also:

futurelawstudent1 wrote:
I understand that outright racism is bannable. But what about serious, scientific discussions on race? For instance, are we allowed to discuss the scientific issue of race and intelligence? (Bear in mind that this is not a settled issue but one of the most debated issues in modern science, involving Harvard professors and Nobel Prize winners on both sides of the issue.)

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Emma. wrote:
futurelawstudent1 wrote:It's rather ironic that the same people who argue that race doesn't exist take such a strict approach when defining race in college admissions. Just check Black/African American. No one will hold it against you, and you'll get a ten-point boost on your LSAT score.

Take advice from this guy.

See also:

futurelawstudent1 wrote:
I understand that outright racism is bannable. But what about serious, scientific discussions on race? For instance, are we allowed to discuss the scientific issue of race and intelligence? (Bear in mind that this is not a settled issue but one of the most debated issues in modern science, involving Harvard professors and Nobel Prize winners on both sides of the issue.)

I really hope he's trolling.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:09 pm

swc65 wrote:Why do people keep writing this? It was not invented by white people. The term was invented by an AA in the "I Can" poem. Jesse Jackson stole the term from there and he and the black caucus set out on a campaign to popularize it. The term was initially seen as a way for AAs to identify themselves and obtain a little more control over how they are viewed in society. True is doesn't make complete sense but it was supposed to represent the African heritage of blacks.

OP knows the answer to his question. Don't be dishonest or misleading. If you know that calling yourself an AA will make people think something that is not true, you are misleading them.

I wrote it due to my own ignorance and laziness to actually look it up so my bad. Other than that, I agree with you 100%.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Ya, and didn't you significantly under perform your numbers?

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Sick burn.

It's been stated before, but don't try and pull the AA card on this to try and get URM status. It should be beneath you.

This reminds me a lot at looking at legislative intent within the law, something that all good little 1L students will learn about: look at the intent of the law (or in this case policy) when it was enacted and try and find out what it's aim was. Granting URM's an easier ticket to law school (numbers wise) was aimed at diversifying the school and giving those without equal means a chance to law school. So, if you're white, you lived a middle-class white life, you were born in America, you had the same access to law school advice/programs/etc. that every other white kid did, put that you're white.

You're just going to piss people off attempting to get a leg up where you don't deserve one.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:01 am

Affirmative action debates will result in bans. This thread had avoided it so far (amazingly) but the rule here will be strictly enforced.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:02 am

Cartman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Sick burn.

Wut?

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 am

I think most law schools anticipated you. When I filled out my applications I seem to remember that there were boxes that said "African American (Black)" and other more specific varieties of African American as well. I'm not 100% positive, but I think that was the deal. The LSAT check box is not the end of the race check boxes you are going to be checking.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 am

Cartman wrote:Sick burn.

It's been stated before, but don't try and pull the AA card on this to try and get URM status. It should be beneath you.

This reminds me a lot at looking at legislative intent within the law, something that all good little 1L students will learn about: look at the intent of the law (or in this case policy) when it was enacted and try and find out what it's aim was. Granting URM's an easier ticket to law school (numbers wise) was aimed at diversifying the school and giving those without equal means a chance to law school. So, if you're white, you lived a middle-class white life, you were born in America, you had the same access to law school advice/programs/etc. that every other white kid did, put that you're white.

You're just going to piss people off attempting to get a leg up where you don't deserve one.

As a textualist, I'm pissed at you.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:13 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Sick burn.

Wut?

I'm congratulating you on a witty insult. Oh nevermind!!!!
HamDel wrote:I think most law schools anticipated you. When I filled out my applications I seem to remember that there were boxes that said "African American (Black)" and other more specific varieties of African American as well. I'm not 100% positive, but I think that was the deal. The LSAT check box is not the end of the race check boxes you are going to be checking.

Another poster mentioned something along these lines about Columbia's applications - more fuel for the OP to avoid checking the AA box.
rad law wrote:
Cartman wrote:Sick burn.

As a textualist, I'm pissed at you.

You and Scalia both <3

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:19 am

URM

--ImageRemoved--

Non-URM

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:21 am

Cartman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Ya, and didn't you significantly under perform your numbers?

Sick burn.

Wut?

I'm congratulating you on a witty insult. Oh nevermind!!!!

U stupid, bro?

It's not a witty insult, or an insult at all. He posts that he was fine putting down AA as a north african white guy and was fine. I, having recalled seeing that he seriously under performed his numbers, bring that up to counter his assertion in effort not to mislead the OP.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 am

[/quote]
U stupid, bro?

It's not a witty insult, or an insult at all. He posts that he was fine putting down AA as a north african white guy and was fine. I, having recalled seeing that he seriously under performed his numbers, bring that up to counter his assertion in effort not to mislead the OP.[/quote]

Well fine, if you don't want to call it an insult then don't, I don't give a shit. The way you phrased it was as a pithy, dry remark than certainly appeared as an insult. No where in it did you even mention not wanting to mislead the OP.

Hey, if you've got sand in your vag you should go wash it out.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:10 am

bceagles182 wrote:
NYCbound35 wrote:Via wikipedia

Caucasian - The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid[1]) has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia and South Asia.

North Africa - North Africa or Northern Africa is the northernmost region of the African continent, linked by the Sahara to Sub-Saharan Africa. Geopolitically, the United Nations definition of Northern Africa includes seven countries or territories; Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, and Western Sahara.

You are Caucasian. Don't play games with the law schools, it won't work in the long run.

Sweet source. They're nothing wrong with saying you are African-American when you have strong African Ancestry. The fact that it's from Libya rather than from Nigeria is irrelevant, as is skin color.

Don't say you are black, but definitely say you are African American. You're more African American than the vast majority of the black population in this country.

No. Just no. Sorry, OP, you're not African American in the racial sense of the term that we in America use it. In America, "African American" became the politically correct term for the racial group of people who were formerly known as black, negro or colored. This group of people is comprised of descendants of African Slaves from sub-Saharan Africa.

And yes sub-Saharan African immigrants get a pass because they are in the same racial category. Additionally, when you see a black African immigrant, for the most part, people will just assume they are black in this country. I highly doubt this is the case when people see you out in public.

Yes, technically you can say that you are "African-American" when you are talking about your nationality, but so can a Dutch kid from South Africa. Racially, you are a Caucasian in the same sense that the Dutch kid is. The rule of thumb for situations like this is: if you have to ask, don't put it.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:18 am

Duh guys. African-American clearly applies to everyone from Africa just like Caucasian clearly applies to people that are from the Caucasus Mountain Region.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:48 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:White North African claiming to be African American = white Russian claiming to be Asian.

If I lived in India for a little while, am I part Asian?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”