Do you recommend I declare myself African?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Do you recommend I declare myself African?

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:I was just having this discussion with my friend who lives in our rental house (black guy). Had a good laugh about the idiocy of the term itself.

It is a pretty stupid term, since it invokes geography but is used to represent race. However, the poor choice of language doesn't excuse OP from actually answering the question truthfully, and if the question is asking about racial identity, the fact that the term is stupid doesn't change the fact that he's misrepresenting his race by checking black when he's white.

Oh, I agree with you completely. I said it's a really bad idea to check that box. If there is a box for "other", I would just check that and explain if he really didn't want to check white.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:39 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:I personally don't think it's accurate to say you're African American if you're white and you were born in the USA. If you were born in Libya, that would be a different story, however.

It's absolutely right if he has African blood in him.

The whole "African American" thing is just stupid, anyway. It encompasses everyone from Africa or it's just a stupid, pointless term. Can't be both ways. I was just having this discussion with my friend who lives in our rental house (black guy). Had a good laugh about the idiocy of the term itself.

Where do you draw the line? If he's white, he's of Eurpoean descent and just lived in Africa for a few generations.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:39 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Is African American actually a real race, though? Because then you are saying they are a different race than African Africans.

"African American" refers to racially black people of African origin who live in the U.S. Someone already provided the Wikipedia definition. Just scroll up.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Is African American actually a real race, though? Because then you are saying they are a different race than African Africans.

"African American" refers to racially black people of African origin who live in the U.S. Someone already provided the Wikipedia definition. Just scroll up.

I know. It wasn't a question about admissions. Just a general question. Because it separates them from actual Africans, which makes zero sense to me.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:41 pm

:roll:

It is incredibly ignorant to just start throwing the term African American at everyone with dark skin.

Black people are black.
White people are white.
African American people are American with African ancestry. Libya is in Africa. End of story.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:41 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:I personally don't think it's accurate to say you're African American if you're white and you were born in the USA. If you were born in Libya, that would be a different story, however.

The whole "African American" thing is just stupid, anyway. It encompasses everyone from Africa or it's just a stupid, pointless term. Can't be both ways. I was just having this discussion with my friend who lives in our rental house (black guy). Had a good laugh about the idiocy of the term itself.

Where do you draw the line? If he's white, he's of Eurpoean descent and just lived in Africa for a few generations.

The term African American in and of itself is stupid is the point.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:42 pm

bceagles182 wrote::roll:

It is incredibly ignorant to just start throwing the term African American at everyone with dark skin.

Black people are black.
White people are white.
African American people are American with African ancestry. Libya is in Africa. End of story.

Pretty much.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:42 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Oh, I agree with you completely. I said it's a really bad idea to check that box. If there is a box for "other", I would just check that and explain if he really didn't want to check white.

Ah, yeah. Gotcha.

He could write a Diversity Statement. There's nothing preventing him from doing that, and it would still let him represent his background and hardships. But if he's white he should probably indicate white. I think it would actually look bad to a law school to check "other" and then write an explanation that says you're not following the directions because you're protesting the accepted definitions of words. The practice of law requires respecting the established definitions of words and phrases, even if they make little sense.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Black people are black.
White people are white.

He wasn't even born there, though. Technically his ancestors are European immigrants to Africa. If I trace one of my distant ancestors back to having lived in Africa briefly, can I claim it as well?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Black people are black.
White people are white.

lol. AA is a term invented by white people in America so they didn't feel racist calling black people black. People with Libyan ancestry living in America are both African and American but they are not supposed to be represented by the term AA. Everybody understands this, even people like OP who are trying to cheat the system, which is why if OP did it he would be willingly misrepresenting himself.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:44 pm

I think if you're a light skinned Libyan you should definitely say you're African American. If you feel uncomfortable, add an addendum that states that you are from Libya, and leave it at that. What's the law school going to do--turn you away once they realize you're a light-skinned Libyan and not a dark-skinned Libyan? Just because the law school can't put a picture of you among a group of white-skinned students discussing some academic subject under a shady tree in their recruitment materials doesn't mean you shouldn't get the benefits of affirmative action.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:

The term African American in and of itself is stupid is the point.

The term is stupid, but the point of this thread is which box he should check.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Oh, I agree with you completely. I said it's a really bad idea to check that box. If there is a box for "other", I would just check that and explain if he really didn't want to check white.

Ah, yeah. Gotcha.

He could write a Diversity Statement. There's nothing preventing him from doing that, and it would still let him represent his background and hardships. But if he's white he should probably indicate white. I think it would actually look bad to a law school to check "other" and then write an explanation that says you're not following the directions because you're protesting the accepted definitions of words. The practice of law requires respecting the established definitions of words and phrases, even if they make little sense.

Good point.

This whole thing kind of reminds me of when I worked for the Census last summer. Latino folk would have to check off the box for Latino but then also check off the box for Caucasian. I got a few dirty looks from that when I said I had to mark them down as both.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:46 pm

bceagles182 wrote:African American people are American with African ancestry. Libya is in Africa. End of story.

This is not the established and understood definition of "African American" as it appears on law school applications, which is what OP was asking about. End of story.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:46 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:The term African American in and of itself is stupid is the point.

The term is stupid, but the point of this thread is which box he should check.[/quote]

I think it's already been decided that he should probably check the white box.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think if you're a light skinned Libyan you should definitely say you're African American. If you feel uncomfortable, add an addendum that states that you are from Libya, and leave it at that. What's the law school going to do--turn you away once they realize you're a light-skinned Libyan and not a dark-skinned Libyan? Just because the law school can't put a picture of you among a group of white-skinned students discussing some academic subject under a shady tree in their recruitment materials doesn't mean you shouldn't get the benefits of affirmative action.

Why's it gotta be a shady tree, bro?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Cavalier wrote:Just because the law school can't put a picture of you among a group of white-skinned students discussing some academic subject under a shady tree in their recruitment materials doesn't mean you shouldn't get the benefits of affirmative action.

lol. So true

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:African American people are American with African ancestry. Libya is in Africa. End of story.

This is not the established and understood definition of "African American" as it appears on law school applications, which is what OP was asking about. End of story.

Well then the "established" definition is racist, so I would point that out if they ever gave me trouble for it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think if you're a light skinned Libyan you should definitely say you're African American. If you feel uncomfortable, add an addendum that states that you are from Libya, and leave it at that. What's the law school going to do--turn you away once they realize you're a light-skinned Libyan and not a dark-skinned Libyan? Just because the law school can't put a picture of you among a group of white-skinned students discussing some academic subject under a shady tree in their recruitment materials doesn't mean you shouldn't get the benefits of affirmative action.

Well, he'd have to spend the rest of his life avoiding talking about his race. You can get disbarred for lying on your application, even if you only admit to it years later.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Well then the "established" definition is racist, so I would point that out if they ever gave me trouble for it.

Yes I'm sure throwing a hissy fit over something is a great way to defend yourself against willful misrepresentation.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Well then the "established" definition is racist, so I would point that out if they ever gave me trouble for it.

Do you think an institution that is based on ethics and honest representations is the right place for someone who thinks their personal opinion about a definition gives them the right to deliberately lie?

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Cavalier wrote:What's the law school going to do--turn you away once they realize you're a light-skinned Libyan and not a dark-skinned Libyan?

Withdraw your acceptance? Report you to LSAC and the bar?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Well, he'd have to spend the rest of his life avoiding talking about his race. You can get disbarred for lying on your application, even if you only admit to it years later.

It's not a lie. He's from Africa and now he's coming to America; he's African American. Just because his African ancestors may have came to Africa from Europe many generations ago shouldn't make him any less African. This is about diversity after all, not merely judging people by the color of their skin.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Do you think an institution that is based on ethics and honest reputations is the right place for someone who thinks their personal opinion about a definition gives them the right to deliberately lie?

I don't know what else to tell you other than the fact that it's not misrepresentation to say you are you African American when your ancestors are African. It's just not.

The definition is racist. He is more African than the vast majority of black people in this country.
Last edited by bceagles182 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:What's the law school going to do--turn you away once they realize you're a light-skinned Libyan and not a dark-skinned Libyan?

Withdraw your acceptance? Report you to LSAC and the bar?

lol. yeah right.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”