odd job as undergrad, not sure if should put it in resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dsosah

odd job as undergrad, not sure if should put it in resume

Postby dsosah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi, I currently have a job that is in a completely different field than my major. Its a job in the medical field, I took it because it was good money with just training, and it helps me pay the bills while I'm in school, but I'm not remotely interested in a career in the medical field. The problem is that my major is Art History (yeah, not remotely related), and now I want to go to law school.
Now I don't know whether to include this in my resume for the law school applications. This is the only job I've had for the last 3 years, but I'm afraid that if I include this is going to look like I don't know what I want or something, or that I've been wasting my time the whole time I was in college with this job.
It's a job that requires a decent amount of responsibility and knowledge, so I don't know if this would help, but again it has nothing to do with either art history or law school.
What to do you guys think? any thoughts welcome.

Bildungsroman

Re: odd job as undergrad, not sure if should put it in resume

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Just put it on. Everyone works jobs in high school and college that aren't in the same field they plan to make a career in, law schools understand that people have bills to pay and having a law school suspicious about why you were in this job (which they won't be, because they're not idiots) is still way better than having a blank work history.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I say definitely include it. It sounds like great WE and I don't think it matters at all that it's unrelated to your UG major. After all, how many jobs are there these days that require a degree in art history?

Pretty Lights

Postby Pretty Lights » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

The law firm recruiter that is currently answering questions on this site was asked a similar question. He said that you would come across as having drive and a strong work ethic. Especially since some students don't even work during school.

dsosah

Postby dsosah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 pm

good points everybody, thanks a lot. :)

nids333

Postby nids333 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:20 am

I concur with everyone else! You can also put a spin on it by making your bullet points illustrate skills that somewhat relate to law school. These skills include various interpersonal ones. Let me know if you need help! I held a job for three years reviewing resumes in Undergrad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”