Realistic Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
colbarfran

Realistic Schools

Postby colbarfran » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:09 am

I am trying to put together a list of schools to apply to this fall so I can start writing my essays. I am having trouble because of discreptancy between my GPA and LSAT score. My GPA is only a 3.1 (Though it steadily improved after a lousy fresman year). My LSAT is a much more respectable 170. I know the LSAT is worth more, but I am struggling to identify what schools should be my realistic schools and which for my 'reach' schools. Should I am be aiming for the top or will my GPA kill me there?

I am currently looking at schools between rank 25 and 65 roughly right now. Am I aiming to high or too low?

Thanks for the help compadres..

citykitty

Re: Realistic Schools

Postby citykitty » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 am

Our numbers are similar. Apply to WUSTL. Based on past cycles those numbers should be an auto admit with a decent scholarship. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com to see what people with similar numbers have been getting into and scholarship info.

drs36

Postby drs36 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:21 am

yep, lawschoolnumbers.com Think about ED'ing. Any WE? A 3.1, 170 got Northwestern.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 am

drs36 wrote:yep, lawschoolnumbers.com Think about ED'ing. Any WE? A 3.1, 170 got Northwestern.

Probably the exception and not the rule, though. Should be good for some T25s though.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 am

TTH wrote:
drs36 wrote:yep, lawschoolnumbers.com Think about ED'ing. Any WE? A 3.1, 170 got Northwestern.

Probably the exception and not the rule, though. Should be good for some T25s though.

Still, if the OP has WE it benefits him to at least try and apply ED. Pretty sure OP will get WUSTL w/money.

I got NU with a 2.79/173 RD (though off the waitlist) so a 3.1/170 ED may get in next year.

colbarfran

Postby colbarfran » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the help guys. One question, though others will follow soon as I do more research based on your suggestions, is what does 'WE' mean?

Thanks!

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

colbarfran wrote:Thanks for the help guys. One question, though others will follow soon as I do more research based on your suggestions, is what does 'WE' mean?

Thanks!

Work Experience

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:36 am

colbarfran wrote:I am trying to put together a list of schools to apply to this fall so I can start writing my essays. I am having trouble because of discreptancy between my GPA and LSAT score. My GPA is only a 3.1 (Though it steadily improved after a lousy fresman year). My LSAT is a much more respectable 170. I know the LSAT is worth more, but I am struggling to identify what schools should be my realistic schools and which for my 'reach' schools. Should I am be aiming for the top or will my GPA kill me there?

I am currently looking at schools between rank 25 and 65 roughly right now. Am I aiming to high or too low?

Thanks for the help compadres..

I think the only schools outside of T6(of which I have no idea) that your gpa will really affect you are cali schools. I think you have a good shot at EDing Michigan, UVA, GTown and a slim chance at ED duke and ED Upenn. Good shot at EA Cornell. I don't think you should waste an ED on UCLA. You are likely in at USC. I have not really stalked Vandy's LSN so would not know as I don't like Nashville. For schools you could get a full ride at that I have looked at Miami, Stetson, Cardozo and Brooklyn. For schools you could get good money at, WUSTL, Fordham, Emory and Tulane again these are just options I have looked at.

colbarfran

Postby colbarfran » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:40 am

citykitty wrote:Our numbers are similar. Apply to WUSTL. Based on past cycles those numbers should be an auto admit with a decent scholarship. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com to see what people with similar numbers have been getting into and scholarship info.

Thanks I will apply to this school. How come WUSTL is so highly ranked yet easier to get into to similiar type schools?

colbarfran

Postby colbarfran » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 am

mjcaccio wrote:
colbarfran wrote:Thanks for the help guys. One question, though others will follow soon as I do more research based on your suggestions, is what does 'WE' mean?

Thanks!

Work Experience

Ok thanks. I am hoping that will help me. I have been an RA and SEnior RA for three of my four years and worked a ton of part time jobs at college. Not sure if that will work in my favor but can't hurt too much.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 am

colbarfran wrote:
citykitty wrote:Our numbers are similar. Apply to WUSTL. Based on past cycles those numbers should be an auto admit with a decent scholarship. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com to see what people with similar numbers have been getting into and scholarship info.

Thanks I will apply to this school. How come WUSTL is so highly ranked yet easier to get into to similiar type schools?

I wouldn't say it is necessarily easier to get into, but it is just a very LSAT friendly school which works into your favor. It seems like if you score a 168 you are in.
Last edited by Punisha20 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:48 am

Punisha20 wrote:
colbarfran wrote:

I wouldn't say it is necessarily easier, but it is just a very LSAT friendly school. It seems like if you score a 168 you are in.

Easy is a relative term, I mean its not easy for most people for get 168+ on the LSAT which is pretty much all it takes for WUSTL. They just like high LSAT scores. I would say that you would get some acceptances in the 14-30 range (although the Cali schools would be a tough sell with a low GPA).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 am

Punisha20 wrote:
colbarfran wrote:

I wouldn't say it is necessarily easier to get into, but it is just a very LSAT friendly school which works into your favor. It seems like if you score a 168 you are in.

This. WUSTL is very splitter (and I believe reverse splitter) friendly. They don't really have a GPA floor like other schools and they are fairly generous with money. Also, WUSTL's rank doesn't really mean anything considering it is a strong regional school and thus is a peer of most schools ranked 19 through 40ish.

colbarfran

Postby colbarfran » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:55 am

Gotcha. That is good to know. I am trying to compile a list of top schools that are LSAT splitter friendly. Cali schools don't seem to be as such. I have heard BC is really big on the GPA over the LSAT. Anybody know if that is true? That is one of my top choices. What about Wake Forest, UNC, and UC Boulder? Thanks again guys

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:55 am

colbarfran wrote:Gotcha. That is good to know. I am trying to compile a list of top schools that are LSAT splitter friendly. Cali schools don't seem to be as such. I have heard BC is really big on the GPA over the LSAT. Anybody know if that is true? That is one of my top choices. What about Wake Forest, UNC, and UC Boulder? Thanks again guys

Just look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

colbarfran

Postby colbarfran » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:56 am

Also Indiana Bloomington

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:59 am

Apply to any tier one law schools that interest you except for the top 6. You may be placed on several waitlists so that law schools can evaluate their quantity & quality of applications during that cycle. If next year is shows another decrease in applications, then you will recieve a lot of good news.
Yesterday I reviewed several tier one law schools & was surprised to see several taken off waitlistswith sub-2.8 GPAs.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:14 am

colbarfran wrote:
mjcaccio wrote:

Thanks!

Work Experience

Ok thanks. I am hoping that will help me. I have been an RA and SEnior RA for three of my four years and worked a ton of part time jobs at college. Not sure if that will work in my favor but can't hurt too much.

You need 1-2 years of full time, post-undergraduate work experience to have a shot at getting into Northwestern.

colbarfran

Postby colbarfran » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:23 am

Thank you all for putting me on to the lawschoolnumbers site. It was very helpful and I compiled a list to apply to this fall from it. However I would like your opinions on the LSAC Calculator. The LSAC predictor and the lawschoolnumbers data often did not line up for me. Any ideas why?

Thanks!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 am

colbarfran wrote:Thank you all for putting me on to the lawschoolnumbers site. It was very helpful and I compiled a list to apply to this fall from it. However I would like your opinions on the LSAC Calculator. The LSAC predictor and the lawschoolnumbers data often did not line up for me. Any ideas why?

Thanks!

LSAC predictor uses an outdated regression that averages LSAT scores. It also doesn't control for URMs very well IIRC. It's definitely less reliable than lawschoolnumbers.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:34 pm

UIUC is pretty LSAT-splitter friendly

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”