High GPA 164 LSAT....Takeover?????

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ttunsehc

High GPA 164 LSAT....Takeover?????

Postby ttunsehc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 pm

I got a 3.86 GPA, 164 LSAT. I am thinking about taking the LSAT over. What would you do in my situation?

I scored 171 on a couple of PTs but I also scored very low on just as many high 150s. As I took more PTs my score did seem to improve but I had resolved that my LSAT could go either way.
The main reason I would like to take over the LSAT is because of the section in which I missed the most questions.

Total missed = 19
LG = 1
LR1 = 2
LR2 = 6
RC = 10

Granted the RC for the June 2011 test was hard but -10 seems like an outlier. I had never missed ten on any practice tests. In fact the most I had missed was 6 on about 15 or so PTs. And before I received my score I had thought that RC was one of my strongest sections.
But, I was never very comfortable with LR; I couldn't grapple with the stimuli like others, so it was always a crapshoot as the wide gulf between my two LR sections exemplifies.
LG was always my strongest point.

Should I just eat up my LSAT score, apply early, depend on my high GPA, my summa cum laude B.A, and a good personal statement?
Would anyone retake?
Given what I have written, what are the chances of going up/down?

Thank you.

yngblkgifted

Re: High GPA 164 LSAT....Takeover?????

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 pm

IBT retake response!

sold123

Postby sold123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:17 pm

That's funny. I was in the almost same exact situation. My RC would be between the range of (2-4), and I always considered it my strongest section, but on the two actual exams I took, I received -9 and -10 wrong respectively. I attribute it to stress, as I could feel the actual level of my Reading Comprehension going down. Normally I would usually finish with 3-5 minutes remaining, but on test day I would always find myself at the verge of guessing on the last couple of questions on the RC section. I always wondered if seeing some type of psychiatrist/psychologist might help, but never pursued it.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 pm

But seriously...

OP, unless you are a URM, which I am assuming you are not, I'd retake. The RC does sound like an outlier. It may have been nerves. Try the power score bibles and re-take this thing in October. Law schools take the highest score anyway, and October will give you plenty of time to still get your applications in relatively early. Don't waste that GPA. Get into the upper 160's and you could crack the T!4. 170+ and you could crack the T10 and well you get the idea....

ttunsehc

Postby ttunsehc » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 am

Yea I think the bad score on the RC resulted from hardest section + fifth section (fatigue) + nerves

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”