Redemption and top LS admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
schooner

Re: Redemption and top LS admissions?

Postby schooner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:42 am

85047 wrote:
schooner wrote:
85047 wrote:Please bear in mind that this happened a very long time ago.

Yeah, but you still don't think you did anything wrong enough to warrant expulsion. There's no humility in your attitude. It doesn't sound like you want to go to any decent law school so you can practice law; instead it sounds like you think you deserve to go to HYS so you can 1) prove the expulsion was wrong and unfair and 2) "reclaim" the prestige that you think was stolen from you.

You already have a great day job and career. Focus on that.

You are correct on all accounts. If I did get a HYS degree I may just go back to same job I have now. About 1/3rd of my colleagues are non practicing attorneys from top tier LSs.

Re humility? Yes, Yes. I am sorry for what I did. It was wrong. Fullstop.

But what’s illogical about the possibility that a transgression was not handled equitably. There is injustice in this world. Life ain’t fair. Most people who have seen the details of this situation agree. I am sure that others have no sympathy.

In your personal statement, you can write about your expulsion for cheating (and having to bear through your great, well-paying job next to HYS law grads) as a prime example of all the injustice in the world. That will go over well with the admissions committees.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:46 am

85047 wrote: Re humility? Yes, Yes. I am sorry for what I did. It was wrong. Fullstop.

But what’s illogical about the possibility that a transgression was not handled equitably. There is injustice in this world. Life ain’t fair.

When I was being interviewed for suitability and my Top Secret, the federal agent that conducted my Background Investigation said something to the effect of, “These people did not like you and screwed you. This is not what I normally see with this type of stuff.”

Your writing style tells me you weren't born in America. Either that, or you spent your formative years in foreign lands. I would know :P However, for the love of God and all things holy, quit referring to yourself in the third person repeatedly. It affects your prose in a manner unlikely to sit well with your targeted audience.

That said, I don't think you will find the answers you are looking for in this forum. You should probably contact the admissions office directly. Are there factors that prevent you from completing your bachelor's? I'm thinking completion of a bachelor's cuts down on the negatives the adcomms would have to overlook and can only enhance your application. As is, you are dealing with the lack of a UG degree, in addition to your past transgressions. Why not eliminate one?

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:57 am

schooner wrote:Yeah, but you still don't think you did anything wrong enough to warrant expulsion. There's no humility in your attitude.

That's what I don't get about any of this. OP, if plagiarism doesn't warrant expulsion from college (Ivy or otherwise), then I don't know what does. You were hardly "unfairly wronged," and any remaining bitterness towards the "kangaroo court which enacted the banishment" is grossly misplaced. You made a mistake. You suffered the consequences as a result.

That said, you have since concocted one hell of a glass of lemonade from life's proverbial lemons. Perhaps now you should just enjoy your drink.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:01 am

Dp you have an undergrad degree? If not, then this thread is pointless. You need an undergrad degree to enter law school.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:03 am

Shit, I'm trying to convince people with a real shot at law school not to go. It's a fucking bloodbath.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 am

no amount of real life experience can make up for both 1.)expulsion and 2.) having no undergraduate degree.

Postby 85047 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:21 am

almightypush wrote:
schooner wrote:Yeah, but you still don't think you did anything wrong enough to warrant expulsion. There's no humility in your attitude.

That's what I don't get about any of this. OP, if plagiarism doesn't warrant expulsion from college (Ivy or otherwise), then I don't know what does. You were hardly "unfairly wronged," and any remaining bitterness towards the "kangaroo court which enacted the banishment" is grossly misplaced. You made a mistake. You suffered the consequences as a result.

That said, you have since concocted one hell of a glass of lemonade from life's proverbial lemons. Perhaps now you should just enjoy your drink.

Thanks for your reply.

As someone who is all too familair with this issue, the short answer is that it is highly unusual for an Ivy League school to expel an ugrad for a first offense. UVA is a different story.

Situations analogous to that of the OP normlly result in suspension; with some even rating probation. Grad students can (and are) bounced for the 1st offense.

This is not relevant. It happened and it does not matter if one thinks its "fair" or not.

Postby 85047 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:33 am

mjcaccio wrote:Dp you have an undergrad degree? If not, then this thread is pointless. You need an undergrad degree to enter law school.

Maybe. It may be best not to make blanket statements when dealing with "niche" applicants.

But there is no way the OP without a degree and with the mentioned infraction would be granted admission.

Let's assume--to make things easier-- that the OP earned a ugrad degree.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 am

lol still referring to yourself in the third person. these trolls get funnier every year

Postby 85047 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:45 am

$1.99 wrote:lol still referring to yourself in the third person. these trolls get funnier every year

Can we please just consider the facts presented and not be distracted by annoying writing styles or whatever else?

A troll, not a troll, it's not really important. What is important--particularly to those with disciplinary records-is what, if anything, can be done to atone for past sins in the eyes of elite professional schools?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:48 am

But there is no way the OP without a degree and with the mentioned infraction would be granted admission.

Art thou daft?

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:49 am

85047 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:lol still referring to yourself in the third person. these trolls get funnier every year

Can we please just consider the facts presented and not be distracted by annoying writing styles or whatever else?

A troll, not a troll, it's not really important. What is important--particularly to those with disciplinary records-is what, if anything, can be done to atone for past sins in the eyes of elite professional schools?

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:51 am

85047 wrote:
$1.99 wrote: A troll, not a troll, it's not really important. What is important--particularly to those with disciplinary records-is what, if anything, can be done to atone for past sins in the eyes of elite professional schools?

Surely, you jest! To troll or not to troll: that is the question.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:52 am

85047 wrote:
mjcaccio wrote:Dp you have an undergrad degree? If not, then this thread is pointless. You need an undergrad degree to enter law school.

Maybe. It may be best not to make blanket statements when dealing with "niche" applicants.

So you admit this whole scenario is fabricated? Or you're installing conditions that will get you a more positive result despite being further removed from reality?

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:03 am

It bothers me that someone who writes/thinks of himself like this is runnin' around out there diplomatin' in shit.

The credited response for OP is 1) Ask some who can actually answer this question, AKA the law schools themselves.
2) Get a MPA or someother real path into politics.

Postby 85047 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
85047 wrote:

So you admit this whole scenario is fabricated? Or you're installing conditions that will get you a more positive result despite being further removed from reality?

No, it's not fabricated. Unfortunately.

The OP does not have a ugrad degree. The background is accurate.

Thanks for your replies. I hope people don't completely dillute the utility of this thread.

I am sorry for the convoluted and awkward writing style. Really. The OP wants to make this as anonymous as possible.
Last edited by 85047 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:18 am

hahaha foolio iglesias, you made me chuckle with your third person writing once again!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 am

85047 wrote:

"Niche" applicants? Schools are very explicit, there are NO exceptions to this rule. I believe it has something to do with the ABA.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 am

85047 wrote:I hope people don't completely dillute the utility of this thread.

Eh, I think you've done a good enough job yourself.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:50 am

I don't know what else you want us to tell you. We don't know the answer to how to fix this - contact the admissions offices or ethics experts and ask them.

schooner

Postby schooner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 am

85047 wrote:

Your first step must be to go back to college to get a bachelor's degree. It's silly to debate what kinds of softs you need when you can't meet this basic requirement. Your desire to bypass the bachelor's degree requirement demanded of all applicants, IMO, reflects the same mindset that led you to cheat in the first place!

Finish your undergrad degree with a 3.9 GPA and a 178+ (or some other ridiculously high stats), and then you can worry over how to convince the elite schools to consider you.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 pm

I type posts while I'm taking a shit and the writing sounds better than the OP's.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:02 pm

LOL @ telling OP, known plagiarist, to enter politics.

85047, Inspired trolling, but not precise. 5 out of 10 for your troubles. See taxguy for how to really get it done.

Now to flame: Hey dickhead please quit referring to OP when you yourself are the OP. You don't have a UG degree > you're not going to law school > you arent earning a JD > you're not passing the bar > you're not gonna be an attorney. Ever.

Leave those who are alone.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”