Community College transcript debacle

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bball1997

Community College transcript debacle

Postby bball1997 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:22 pm

So I got a 174 on my June LSAT, which along with a 3.8 GPA makes me competitive at a couple of the T6 law schools I am really interested in attending. I just found out, however, that the community college where I audited two classes the summer before I started undergrad screwed up and gave me a letter grade for one of the classes. It was an F because I was on vacation for the first half of the class and did not turn in a number of the assignments. I already checked and this drops my LSAC GPA from over a 3.8 to right at a 3.7. I'm obviously going to call the school up tomorrow and try and get them to change it but because I took the classes several years ago I'm worried they won't have the paperwork/documentation anymore and would be unwilling to change it. If I am unable to get them to change it, will writing an addendum help at all in this scenario?
Last edited by bball1997 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4for44

Re: Community College F***ed up

Postby 4for44 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:31 pm

I would hope the CC would help you out, but not sure the affect on Apps. Seems like a situation that wouldnt be uncommon...

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 pm

I'd still bet at least 1/3 of CCN is a lock.

bball1997

Postby bball1997 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks for the optimism guys, has anyone had any experience trying to get this sort of thing off their transcript?

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 am

A lot of times if you have been out of the CC for more than 2-3 year you can get a forgiveness that changes it to a W

l'aviadora

Postby l'aviadora » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am

I'm currently working on a similar situation. It's from a UG rather than a CC, so that may make a difference. They're being complete hardasses about it but I still may have a shot to get it changed to a W. When you registered for the class, were you registered as an auditing student? If so, they shouldn't have given you a grade. They should be able to figure that part out fairly easily since most registration is computer based now. Try the CC website to see if you can log into their intranet. Pull up your CC transcript to see if either of the classes that you took show as audit on there. If not, see if you can get into your old registration info. If that fails, see if you can find your financial statement. You would have paid the audit rate for the classes rather than the full tuition, so that should answer any questions they might have. Good luck! :)

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:02 am

Even if they change it to a W LSAC will treat it as a 0 out of however many credits the class was. Same thing happened to me with a CC. The difference being...a 3.7 is nothing to be worried about, especially with your LSAT score...congrats man and enjoy the T6

l'aviadora

Postby l'aviadora » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:40 am

False...there is a difference in how LSAC views grades like WF and WU and how they treat W. W is not a penalty grade. It just means withdrawn. WF is a penalty grade which means it will count as an F. The main issue is that if this was an audit class, the OP shouldn't have any grade at all, positive or negative.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 am

It depends on if your institution is one that has punitive Ws or not (if so, it'll be a 0. If not, then no)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”