Help me, ready to killself.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dhbzz

Help me, ready to killself.

Postby dhbzz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm

So I am getting cold feet about attending a TTT in New York. I have a decent scholarship there but do not want to attend there, it is a shitty school. I am re evaluating whether I want to attend law school right now but I graduated with two useless liberal arts degrees (psychology/history), have no internship/work experience, and am 80K in the hole from undergrad. On top of that I am fucking living in my parents basement. I am at a loss of what to do. Yes, I know I am a fucking loser asking for advice anonymously on an internet forum but I have not slept the last few days and have had dreams of suicide. Perhaps I am going crazy? What the hell do I do with myself? Don't care if you leave asshole replies, maybe someone will have a decent idea.

tfer2222

Re: Help me, ready to killself.

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I don't have specific advice, but everyone on tls is going to tell you the same thing: do not go to (this? any?) law school. You'll only be digging yourself into a deeper hole.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:08 pm

dhbzz wrote:So I am getting cold feet about attending a TTT in New York. I have a decent scholarship there but do not want to attend there, it is a shitty school. I am re evaluating whether I want to attend law school right now but I graduated with two useless liberal arts degrees (psychology/history), have no internship/work experience, and am 80K in the hole from undergrad. On top of that I am fucking living in my parents basement. I am at a loss of what to do. Yes, I know I am a fucking loser asking for advice anonymously on an internet forum but I have not slept the last few days and have had dreams of suicide. Perhaps I am going crazy? What the hell do I do with myself? Don't care if you leave asshole replies, maybe someone will have a decent idea.

How decent of a scholarship are we talking? And is the school NY metro or upstate?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Find a job where you can work your way up and slowly pay off your debt. Even Burger King counts.

dhbzz

Postby dhbzz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:13 pm

metro and its about 25K/yr living at home so it will cost me about 65K in loans total. I do want to practice law I always have, but it just doesn't seem like the right time. It is scary doing financial aid paperwork while reading article after article about how poor the legal field is and will be for the near future.

Went to a respectable undergrad, did well, 3.7. Sucked at LSAT even though I took a powerscore class and studied for 4 months took PTs, etc. Where did I go wrong? Is there anything I can go back to school for other than law?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 pm

dhbzz wrote:metro and its about 25K/yr living at home so it will cost me about 65K in loans total. I do want to practice law I always have, but it just doesn't seem like the right time. It is scary doing financial aid paperwork while reading article after article about how poor the legal field is and will be for the near future.

Ok. So you're St.John's/Blyn/Hofstra. Yeah, it's a tough market out there; you'll either do well, network and get a good job or you won't. You might be a good candidate for taking a couple of years and working in the field before you make the leap to law school. But that decision should've been made 6 months ago. You're a month and a half out from starting school, suck it up.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 pm

psychology is not a useless degree. apply to do an MA/MS and become a therapist.

schooner

Postby schooner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 pm

dhbzz wrote:So I am getting cold feet about attending a TTT in New York. I have a decent scholarship there but do not want to attend there, it is a shitty school. I am re evaluating whether I want to attend law school right now but I graduated with two useless liberal arts degrees (psychology/history), have no internship/work experience, and am 80K in the hole from undergrad. On top of that I am fucking living in my parents basement. I am at a loss of what to do. Yes, I know I am a fucking loser asking for advice anonymously on an internet forum but I have not slept the last few days and have had dreams of suicide. Perhaps I am going crazy? What the hell do I do with myself? Don't care if you leave asshole replies, maybe someone will have a decent idea.

Don't feel like it's the end of the world to take a year working a non-career job, if that's what it takes to get what you want. FWIW, there's absolutely no way I would have gotten the LSAT score I got during undergrad. I needed to be out and working for it to happen. During college, I was a stressed student trying to finish classes and a thesis, with absolutely no time or drive to really focus on the LSAT. Once I was out of an academic environment, LSAT prep became fun. It changed my whole perspective. Once I stopped seeing it as this awful obstacle I had to overcome, I was able to practice effectively.

Think long-term, and you'll see that one or two years in a throw-away job is far better than a lifetime struggling to find a job you enjoy and can make a living at. If you are having suicidal thoughts, seek some counseling as well. Everyone could use it at some point.

Summary: Parent's basement--> Awesome LSAT score ---> T1 school. Ain't no thang but a chicken wing, mamacita.

skw

Postby skw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 pm

You can go into sales with any degree. Software sales is one of the most lucrative options, but ANY sales job will teach you valuable skills you can use later in a legal or just about any career. I spent 12 years in sales. You start out making a pittance, but if you are good, you end up making far more than even Big Law associates. Based on my sales career, I will be attending law school and writing a check for all expenses (tuition and living). There are other areas you can utilize a similar plan of attack, but accept you must start at the bottom and work your ass off. It is possible (even in this economic climate) to get a job and work your way up and save money and pay off debt. You may even discover along the way what it is you really want to do with your life. When that happens, if you put in the work ahead of time and you have earned and saved, your path will be easier and you will sleep better.

bmili

Postby bmili » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Last edited by bmili on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhbzz

Postby dhbzz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 pm

thanks for the responses. i have been looking at sales jobs on websites considering that is all that is available for those with no experience and no useful knowledge. I thought about getting a masters in psychology, but if I can't take care of myself I don't see how I will be able to take care of others.

I know this is something I should have decided a while ago, but I didn't hear back from all schools until late April. I knew this would be a poor choice of school and knew I would end up in this exact position.

and my school will offer a deferral but i will lose the scholarship if I defer. Goes to show the kind of school it is. I have talked to several recent graduates, 3 of which have jobs, one with an insurance company they worked for prior to LS, once with the county we live in (dad connections) and one in a small personal injury firm... they all have told me that "some of my friends have jobs and some don't" and I think that translates into my three friends being the exception rather than the rule.
Last edited by dhbzz on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm

These are some good ideas.
You might even defer while you think about it. (Although, I tend to think you should make the decision now to spare yourself the torture of making it again in a year.)

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Don't do it. Go to see a psychiatrist. /thread

BoriquaEsquire

Postby BoriquaEsquire » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 pm

First of all, take a deep breath and don't kill yourself. If you're having feelings of suicide, you should see a therapist...no, really.

Second, law school is a big life decision. If you don't feel like it's the right time or the right school don't go! I can't stress that enough.

If you want to be a lawyer, the first thing you're going to have to do is get out of your parents' basement. I graduated from UG, relaxed for 2 weeks, and then started filling out job applications. I made it like a full-time job. Every day I would get up early, get showered/dressed, and then I would sit down at my computer from 9am-5pm (with a lunch break) and just send out applications. Try not to be picky. Send out a resume to anything you find remotely interesting. Try to send out 25 resumes a day. If that's too many, set some goal, but make it ambitious. You can even take breaks on the weekends if you're really disciplined during the week.

I graduated with a 3.4 from Princeton and it took me 4 months of doing this after graduation before I got a job (that was in 2009, mind you). I didn't send out 25 resumes a day...I sent out about 10 a day...but in the end I had applied to about 700 jobs, 15 of which I interviewed at.

Once you've gotten full-time employment, do one of two things...continue the job search for better employment or start to work up your LSAT score. Which you choose to do really depends on you, but if it were me, I'd work on the LSAT. This is when discipline is really important because you're going to come home from work all tired and have to sit down at your desk and start studying, but that's what it takes.

Pretty much anyone can work up their LSAT score with enough studying (provided you are a native english speaker).

It is July, if you have done all of this by, say, the time you get your October LSAT back, start applying to law school. Apply to a bunch of 3rd tier schools and a bunch of schools you'd rather go to. Don't be too ambitious. Aim for schools like Fordham, BU, or American and then throw in a couple of top-10 schools provided your LSAT score comes up. Include your work experience from this year on your resume, even if it's sales or retail.

I think if you do this, in the end you'll be really happy with what you accomplish. Good luck!

schooner

Postby schooner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:13 pm

dhbzz wrote:metro and its about 25K/yr living at home so it will cost me about 65K in loans total. I do want to practice law I always have, but it just doesn't seem like the right time. It is scary doing financial aid paperwork while reading article after article about how poor the legal field is and will be for the near future.

Went to a respectable undergrad, did well, 3.7. Sucked at LSAT even though I took a powerscore class and studied for 4 months took PTs, etc. Where did I go wrong? Is there anything I can go back to school for other than law?

You need to be real with yourself, you say that you always wanted to practice law but then you ask if there is anything you can go back to school for other than law. I would advise you to take a year off and re-think things. I'm in a similar position as you minus the undergrad debt burden and it makes a world of difference. If I'm not in the top 1/3 of my class 1st year and my prospects look dim I'l probably drop out with 15k in debt and go after something else.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 pm

IF you are having suicidal thoughts- go to a therapist, or at least your primary care physician. This is serious.

ITs not the end of the world living at home after graduation. like others said- start applying and get a job- so you are doing something.

As for law school- if you arenot happy graduating there at median- dont go. SOunds like this isnt the school for you. Withdraw and re assess what you need to do to get into a good school for you. Talk to a career counselor and take some tests to see what you like and dont like( personality tests or something like that- it may help set you in the right direction) OR just research what is available and go from there.

Dont lose hope.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Don't go to school. Don't bother deferring. You can get yourself into the same school again if you need to do so. Don't feel bad for living in your parent's basement. There are people who got Lathamed as first years that are now living back with their parents. Be proud of what you accomplished so far. Don't compare yourself to the guy who has to choose between Yale or Harvard - you can be successful and have already achieved a lot.

You know that not going to school is the right choice or you wouldn't be posting here. If you want to re-apply you can get all the advice you need right here.

Get yourself outside everyday doing something constructive.

I don't think you should feel like a loser for asking advice on this forum. Many of the people here know what they are talking about and are more expert than college pre-law advisers or the paid consultants who overcharge kids for basic stuff.

Remember that you are in control of your feelings. Do not allow yourself to give into despair.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:21 pm

you will be fine man, just take some time to take control of your life, law school will always be there

protein

Postby protein » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:47 pm

With a 3.7, I would really look at improving my LSAT score

If you could score 165+ you'd be looking at $ from some good schools. With 170+, you'd be getting $ from T13 schools.

You don't need to settle for a TTT with that GPA. You can do it!

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Don't go to this school and don't even defer. Try to get some work experience - start sending out resumes like crazy and apply to jobs. It's ok that you're living with your parents - people from Ivy leagues and top schools are doing this too.

You have a good GPA and this can help you a LOT. Try retaking the LSAT and maybe get a private tutor. Powerscore is good but sometimes you just need a LOT LOT lot of practice. I took basically every practice test known to man and some several times. It helped! The class didn't help as much. So maybe try that?

Get a job and maybe try doing something like paralegal work - not glamorous or that great but it will give you an insight into the legal field!

Legal Baller

Postby Legal Baller » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Man the fuck up and figure it out.

clbig

Postby clbig » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 pm

All the advice so far, has been right on. I wouldn't worry too much about waiting to go to law school. I'm starting law school myself later in life.

The one piece of advice that has always stuck with me is this: it's easier to find a job when you have a job. I run a small department, but when I'm looking to hire someone, I really don't care where they've worked as long as I see they can and have held a job. Even if you have to wait tables or work at Burger King, you will feel better just by getting out of the house and having some money that you've earned. You'd be surprised at connections you can make either through coworkers or customers.

When I first graduated from undergrad, I waited tables for about six months, but made sure I sent out resumes every day! I was then hired as a paralegal and had a decent salary. Looking for a job is a full-time job, and most employers, knowing how bad this economy is, will not hold it against you for taking any type of job in the meantime. At least I don't. You have 80K in debt already. I'd wait a couple of years, get some work experience, retake the LSAT, and re-apply. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”