Which UG should I transfer into?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legaleagle9
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby legaleagle9 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:00 pm

UC Davis vs Sf State

UC Davis Pros: More prestigious, top-10 public school, more recognized, better school overall

SF State Pros: Less expensive, closer to home, will be much easier to get a higher GPA

UC Davis Cons: More expensive, will have to move away from home and pay for cost of living, more competitive, will be harder to get better grades

SF State Cons: Not very well respected, Not even a ranked school, much less prestigious, respected, recognized then UC Davis

Which school would be the smarter choice for me?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:02 pm

The cheapest one. Some schools offer full transfer scholarships. Such a school would be the right choice if you have the grades. If you aren't doing great grade wise or don't want law school then maybe there is some debate.

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 pm

the general consensus on TLS is: get 4.0 UGPA by going to the easier school (and save up money)
because prestige of your UG does not matter (you might as well stay at the school you are currently in if that would be easier financially and GPA-wise)

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3880
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:18 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:the general consensus on TLS is: get 4.0 UGPA by going to the easier school (and save up money)
because prestige of your UG does not matter (you might as well stay at the school you are currently in if that would be easier financially and GPA-wise)


+1

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:20 pm

cheap and easy is TCR

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Just to throw it out there, quality of education is worth considering, even if it's outweighed by everything else.

User avatar
baconpuffs
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby baconpuffs » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

ladybug89 wrote:Just to throw it out there, quality of education is worth considering, even if it's outweighed by everything else.
Not if you're an English/Poli Sci/Philosophy/Other useless humanities major, which you should be if you want to maximize UGPA.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby Corwin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Are you paying for your undergrad? Also, I wouldn't be 100% sure that it is easier to get better grades at SF state than at UC Davis. A lot depends on your major. For example, I took a few English classes when I did my undergrad. I found it was harder to get an A from the worst English teachers than the best because the worse teachers did not do a good job communicating their expectations.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:cheap and easy is TCR

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Whichever you think you'll be happiest at if the cost isn't significantly more than the others. I tend to better academically when I'm happy with the rest of my life.

pwyoung
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby pwyoung » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:31 pm

AreJay711 wrote:The cheapest one. Some schools offer full transfer scholarships. Such a school would be the right choice if you have the grades. If you aren't doing great grade wise or don't want law school then maybe there is some debate.


Such as?

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

pwyoung wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:The cheapest one. Some schools offer full transfer scholarships. Such a school would be the right choice if you have the grades. If you aren't doing great grade wise or don't want law school then maybe there is some debate.


Such as?


I'm curious as well. When I was looking to transfer, I found that there were far fewer scholarships available to transfers and those that were available required an AA degree.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnMzungu, guybourdin, slimjims27, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests