Which UG should I transfer into?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legaleagle9

Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby legaleagle9 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:00 pm

UC Davis vs Sf State

UC Davis Pros: More prestigious, top-10 public school, more recognized, better school overall

SF State Pros: Less expensive, closer to home, will be much easier to get a higher GPA

UC Davis Cons: More expensive, will have to move away from home and pay for cost of living, more competitive, will be harder to get better grades

SF State Cons: Not very well respected, Not even a ranked school, much less prestigious, respected, recognized then UC Davis

Which school would be the smarter choice for me?

AreJay711

Re: Which UG should I transfer into?

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:02 pm

The cheapest one. Some schools offer full transfer scholarships. Such a school would be the right choice if you have the grades. If you aren't doing great grade wise or don't want law school then maybe there is some debate.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 pm

the general consensus on TLS is: get 4.0 UGPA by going to the easier school (and save up money)
because prestige of your UG does not matter (you might as well stay at the school you are currently in if that would be easier financially and GPA-wise)

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:18 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:the general consensus on TLS is: get 4.0 UGPA by going to the easier school (and save up money)
because prestige of your UG does not matter (you might as well stay at the school you are currently in if that would be easier financially and GPA-wise)

+1

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:20 pm

cheap and easy is TCR

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Just to throw it out there, quality of education is worth considering, even if it's outweighed by everything else.

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

ladybug89 wrote:Just to throw it out there, quality of education is worth considering, even if it's outweighed by everything else.
Not if you're an English/Poli Sci/Philosophy/Other useless humanities major, which you should be if you want to maximize UGPA.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Are you paying for your undergrad? Also, I wouldn't be 100% sure that it is easier to get better grades at SF state than at UC Davis. A lot depends on your major. For example, I took a few English classes when I did my undergrad. I found it was harder to get an A from the worst English teachers than the best because the worse teachers did not do a good job communicating their expectations.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:cheap and easy is TCR

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Whichever you think you'll be happiest at if the cost isn't significantly more than the others. I tend to better academically when I'm happy with the rest of my life.

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:31 pm

AreJay711 wrote:The cheapest one. Some schools offer full transfer scholarships. Such a school would be the right choice if you have the grades. If you aren't doing great grade wise or don't want law school then maybe there is some debate.

Such as?

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

pwyoung wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:The cheapest one. Some schools offer full transfer scholarships. Such a school would be the right choice if you have the grades. If you aren't doing great grade wise or don't want law school then maybe there is some debate.

Such as?

I'm curious as well. When I was looking to transfer, I found that there were far fewer scholarships available to transfers and those that were available required an AA degree.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”