Work Experience - Govt. Job v. Non-Profit Job

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arjun

Work Experience - Govt. Job v. Non-Profit Job

Postby arjun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm

I graduated with a degree in poli sci in May and am currently weighing my options for work. I have the option of going to Washington DC and working in the press/comms office of a member of congress within leadership or a national campaign committee. Alternatively, I can stay in California and work at a non-profit...an organization that opens and runs charter schools. Both jobs pay about the same, and I'll be applying to law school this fall, so either way I'll only be at this job for the next year.

Also, I have a 3.77/173. So far, my "story" is education related, as all of my past work/volunteer experience is education related.

Just wondering which one of these jobs would be best for my application as far as "work experience" goes.

splitmuch

Re: Work Experience - Govt. Job v. Non-Profit Job

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:54 pm

arjun wrote:I graduated with a degree in poli sci in May and am currently weighing my options for work. I have the option of going to Washington DC and working in the press/comms office of a member of congress within leadership or a national campaign committee. Alternatively, I can stay in California and work at a non-profit...an organization that opens and runs charter schools. Both jobs pay about the same, and I'll be applying to law school this fall, so either way I'll only be at this job for the next year.

Also, I have a 3.77/173. So far, my "story" is education related, as all of my past work/volunteer experience is education related.

Just wondering which one of these jobs would be best for my application as far as "work experience" goes.

There is probably no tangible difference between these jobs except the exceedingly unlikely event that you get to know that member of congress and he or she writes a rec for you

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:58 pm

splitmuch wrote:
arjun wrote:I graduated with a degree in poli sci in May and am currently weighing my options for work. I have the option of going to Washington DC and working in the press/comms office of a member of congress within leadership or a national campaign committee. Alternatively, I can stay in California and work at a non-profit...an organization that opens and runs charter schools. Both jobs pay about the same, and I'll be applying to law school this fall, so either way I'll only be at this job for the next year.

There is probably no tangible difference between these jobs except the exceedingly unlikely event that you get to know that member of congress and he or she writes a rec for you

Even if this is the case - unless you get to know him/her very well - prof recs are still better. OP, there probably isn't a discernible difference except for one that gives you something to talk about in an interview or write about in your PS

schooner

Postby schooner » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Which job will give you more substantive responsibilities? I'd go with that.

You will probably have a higher quality of life (e.g., predictable, sane working hours) at the California non-profit, though. On the other hand, if you're planning to get a work-related recommendation letter, DC (including the Hill) is full of attorneys. Also, if you intend to work in education, getting legislative + press experience will be very valuable.

BTW, great stats and great job snagging employment right after graduation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”