0L Summer job at the law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlabamaIceman

New

0L Summer job at the law school?

Post by AlabamaIceman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:45 pm

I've found a few schools that are on my radar for my cycle this fall that offer summer workstudy-style employment pending FAFSA receipt and such. Does anyone have any experience with these or know if that sort of thing is a (good) possibility for a 0L like myself who might be interesting in getting the hell out of my current city and living in the city in which I'll be studying in the fall? (Likely on the other side of the country as well).

Wouldn't hurt to earn a few bucks either, but from what I see of the upper limits on summer earnings, it wouldn't be but a handful of change above living expenses for the summer in most urban areas.

bk1

Diamond

Re: 0L Summer job at the law school?

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Seems like a pita to move now and then move again in a year when you could avoid the first move by just finding a job where you live now.

AlabamaIceman

New

Post by AlabamaIceman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:50 pm

bk187 wrote:Seems like a pita to move now and then move again in a year when you could avoid the first move by just finding a job where you live now.
I'm a rising senior, hopefully it would only mean moving once to a new city at the start of next summer and then (probably) again within the same city at the start of the school year.

And bro, I live in Alabama. I mean, come on. I would take a major pay cut to be able to experience L.A. or D.C. or even NYC for a summer without yet having the full stress burden of 1L year.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Well looking at your numbers I don't think there is even close to a guarantee that you will be moving to the same city for school since you'll probably be weighing competing offers, though it is possible that you won't have to.

Since you want to experience living in some place you've never been I would definitely do it for that reason.

AlabamaIceman

New

Post by AlabamaIceman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Well as for the multiple offers thing, from what I understand any workstudy employment position through the respective university would be contingent on actually accepting an offer to attend there and receiving an offer for such a position based on the same financial aid info that would be used in the fall.

Ergo, weighing the offers (if there any worth weighing) would necessarily be completed before I have the chance to pursue an avenue like this.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:21 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:Well as for the multiple offers thing, from what I understand any workstudy employment position through the respective university would be contingent on actually accepting an offer to attend there and receiving an offer for such a position based on the same financial aid info that would be used in the fall.

Ergo, weighing the offers (if there any worth weighing) would necessarily be completed before I have the chance to pursue an avenue like this.
Well then I'm out of my element since I have no idea about these workstudy programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”