2011-12 Cycle Fee Waiver Tracking

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jungminnee

Re: 2011-12 Cycle Fee Waiver Tracking

Postby jungminnee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 pm

texas by email

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 pm

jungminnee wrote:texas by email

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

The tone of the Texas email was a little off-putting IMHO. It read like a reprimand instead of the usual friendly optimism from other schools. Weird, being in Texas an all to not have pleasantries. Not to mention repeating the deadline twice in the span of 3 sentences and not a single nice thing to say...even about themselves. Really strange to me in comparison to the other fee waivers. I mean you have Michigan's Dean personalizing a note to a lot of candidates and from Texas, I get "A preliminary review....only extended to November 1....In case you can't read and comprehend simple English." Maybe I've been in PR too long.
Last edited by MumofCad on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Dany wrote:
Cornelius wrote:Really? Wtf NU? I would have thought there was just a cutoff for LSAT score where people above it got a waiver.

No. It's largely hit-or-miss.

I sent a request, we'll see what happens. Hopefully my splitter GPA won't keep me from receiving a waiver.

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:57 pm

dakure wrote:NU and Hidden at NYU

same here. Really wishing getting a fee waiver was actually (positively) correlated with getting in. Right now I don't feel like typing in all the info to check for Penn hidden waiver. Oh also... just got an email from UT. agree w/ those who said the email was kind of unfriendly.

Anyone know if we should be expecting something in the mail from NYU if we got the hidden waiver? Would be kind of exciting to get a viewbook. I mean another personal note would be great but its not fair to hold everyone to Michigans standards :)

To you guys who are "scared" to go through with checking for hidden fee waivers-- Check out the link below. I think its a little different this year but if you follow these directions you will not accidentally pay & submit. The directions are clear but worst case scenario, if it ends up that you DON'T have a waiver... well, you can't accidentally submit it unless you accidentally type your credit card information in. If you DO have a waiver, you will get "Screen 4.2" from the guide below. I know that screen is the same this year cause I JUST checked for NYU. You can't proceed/submit unless you check that certification box. I totally understand the apprehension.... but just follow the directions and you will be fine.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129078

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Can someone post the Texas email? I didn't get a Texas fee waiver (kind of glad honestly, because I just submitted my app earlier and would be pissed if I missed saving $80 by a few hours) and am interested to see the negative tone of it.

Englander742

Postby Englander742 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Can someone post the Texas email? I didn't get a Texas fee waiver (kind of glad honestly, because I just submitted my app earlier and would be pissed if I missed saving $80 by a few hours) and am interested to see the negative tone of it.

I didn't think it was all that bad, but certainly nothing special.

UT Fee Waiver E-mail wrote:A preliminary review of your credentials indicates that you would be a competitive applicant for The University of Texas School of Law. Although we cannot guarantee your admission, we will waive your application fee provided you apply by November 1, 2011, which is prior to our general admission deadline of February 1, 2012. For your convenience, we have included a link to our 2011-2012 Admissions Bulletin . You can download a 2012 UT Law application or apply electronically through LSAC.

If you apply by mail, you must include a copy of this e-mail with your application. To accept our fee waiver offer, you must apply by November 1, 2011. Our early decision admission program is nonbinding. Regretfully, we cannot refund your application fee if you have applied to us prior to this CRS offer.

Please contact Sam Riley, our Director for Admission Programs, at (512) 232-1200, if you have questions regarding UT Law, our admission process, or if you would like to schedule a tour of the Law School. We wish you continued success in your academic endeavors and we look forward to receiving your application.

Respectfully,

Monica Ingram
Assistant Dean for Admission and Financial Aid

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:59 pm

so_fetch wrote:To you guys who are "scared" to go through with checking for hidden fee waivers-- Check out the link below. I think its a little different this year but if you follow these directions you will not accidentally pay & submit. The directions are clear but worst case scenario, if it ends up that you DON'T have a waiver... well, you can't accidentally submit it unless you accidentally type your credit card information in. If you DO have a waiver, you will get "Screen 4.2" from the guide below. I know that screen is the same this year cause I JUST checked for NYU. You can't proceed/submit unless you check that certification box. I totally understand the apprehension.... but just follow the directions and you will be fine.

I just updated this with new steps and images from the new applications so hopefully it's a bit more relevant.

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Dany wrote:
so_fetch wrote:To you guys who are "scared" to go through with checking for hidden fee waivers-- Check out the link below. I think its a little different this year but if you follow these directions you will not accidentally pay & submit. The directions are clear but worst case scenario, if it ends up that you DON'T have a waiver... well, you can't accidentally submit it unless you accidentally type your credit card information in. If you DO have a waiver, you will get "Screen 4.2" from the guide below. I know that screen is the same this year cause I JUST checked for NYU. You can't proceed/submit unless you check that certification box. I totally understand the apprehension.... but just follow the directions and you will be fine.

I just updated this with new steps and images from the new applications so hopefully it's a bit more relevant.

You go, Dany! As someone who was very scared the first time I tried it... thank you very much :D

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:19 pm

No problem at all. :D

AtticusJimbo

Postby AtticusJimbo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:41 pm

x-posted from the NYU 2012 thread, because this one seems a little more active and probably a better place to post this question

so, i'm reapplying this cycle after first applying in the 09-10 cycle. in that cycle i got a fee waiver from NYU and was admitted in the first round of acceptances. i was hoping for another fee waiver this time around (updated my CRS and have been receiving waivers here and there from other schools including u of chi) but didn't get one, and last night sent an email requesting one, saying i was admitted last time i applied, have these and these stats etc. today got back:

Thank you for your e-mail. CRS fee waivers are only available for the cycle during which it was granted. It is possible that you will be referred to our school again by CRS and you may receive a fee waiver later in the cycle, but there is no guarantee. Should you qualify for the CRS fee waiver once again after you submit your application, you may be reimbursed for the cost.

should i go ahead and submit then? i'm not sure what they mean by "may be reimbursed," or how realistic that is, but i really would like this waiver and am disappointed not to have gotten it. thanks for any input

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm confused that people are getting waivers from Texas, because this is what I was told a few weeks ago when I solicited one:

Thank you for your interest in The University of Texas School of Law. UT Law does not offer merit-based fee waivers. Our application fee waiver may be granted to an applicant who can establish documented economic need. To be considered for the fee waiver, you need to have the JD application and the Fee Waiver application in by November 1. You do not have to apply for the Early Decision November 1 deadline; you can mark Regular Decision on the application form. But, do not apply electronically through the LSAC if you are asking us for an application fee waiver since you will be required to pay with a credit card and we do not issue refunds. You can access both the JD application and Fee Waiver application forms through the Admissions link at...

???

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 pm

erikjc wrote:I'm confused that people are getting waivers from Texas, because this is what I was told a few weeks ago when I solicited one:

Thank you for your interest in The University of Texas School of Law. UT Law does not offer merit-based fee waivers. Our application fee waiver may be granted to an applicant who can establish documented economic need. To be considered for the fee waiver, you need to have the JD application and the Fee Waiver application in by November 1. You do not have to apply for the Early Decision November 1 deadline; you can mark Regular Decision on the application form. But, do not apply electronically through the LSAC if you are asking us for an application fee waiver since you will be required to pay with a credit card and we do not issue refunds. You can access both the JD application and Fee Waiver application forms through the Admissions link at...

???

I had a similar situation with BU. Do some of these schools lie when it comes to waivers?

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 pm

edit: NM, I saw that someone else posted it.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 pm

minnbills wrote:
erikjc wrote:I'm confused that people are getting waivers from Texas, because this is what I was told a few weeks ago when I solicited one:

???

I had a similar situation with BU. Do some of these schools lie when it comes to waivers?

I got that same email and thought the same thing. I actually think they just twist words a bit. In their email response, they said they do not offer merit-based waivers, but in the email to those given one, they say you are "a competitive applicant" and will waive the fee. They never actually say they are giving you a merit-based waiver (although it seems to be implied).

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:I got that same email and thought the same thing. I actually think they just twist words a bit. In their email response, they said they do not offer merit-based waivers, but in the email to those given one, they say you are "a competitive applicant" and will waive the fee. They never actually say they are giving you a merit-based waiver (although it seems to be implied).

Yeah I solicited one and they told me they only give waivers for financial need. They never even metioned merit waivers or anything like them.

It really doesn't reflect well on the school. I'm disappointed they turned me down but I would have really appreciated them being straight with me. The way I see it, it's like: "if there's smoke there's fire." I've been wondering what else they they're dishonest about. I know it's just a fee waiver but the admissions department is the face of the school for applicants.

When I sent a request to BC they got back to me within 20 minutes (whereas BU took 2 days) and were very clear that they don't give out merit waivers. Contrasting those two experiences pretty much solidified BC over BU for me.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:45 pm

minnbills wrote:
BigBlueLaw wrote:I got that same email and thought the same thing. I actually think they just twist words a bit. In their email response, they said they do not offer merit-based waivers, but in the email to those given one, they say you are "a competitive applicant" and will waive the fee. They never actually say they are giving you a merit-based waiver (although it seems to be implied).

Yeah I solicited one and they told me they only give waivers for financial need. They never even metioned merit waivers or anything like them.

It really doesn't reflect well on the school. I'm disappointed they turned me down but I would have really appreciated them being straight with me. The way I see it, it's like: "if there's smoke there's fire." I've been wondering what else they they're dishonest about. I know it's just a fee waiver but the admissions department is the face of the school for applicants.

When I sent a request to BC they got back to me within 20 minutes (whereas BU took 2 days) and were very clear that they don't give out merit waivers. Contrasting those two experiences pretty much solidified BC over BU for me.

I felt the exact same way about Texas. It completely turned me off on applying to them, even though they are just using tricky language. I don't like it either way. Georgetown got back to me and told me flat out, we can't grant you one. I didn't mind that at all. The way UT did it was like having a girlfriend tell you she doesn't give blowjobs on the first date and then finding out she gave everyone on the basketball team without even knowing their names.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:
minnbills wrote:
BigBlueLaw wrote:I got that same I felt the exact same way about Texas. It completely turned me off on applying to them, even though they are just using tricky language. I don't like it either way. Georgetown got back to me and told me flat out, we can't grant you one. I didn't mind that at all. The way UT did it was like having a girlfriend tell you she doesn't give blowjobs on the first date and then finding out she gave everyone on the basketball team without even knowing their names.

lol that's one way of putting it. I'm probably not going to apply to BU at this point, and I had been considering EDing there just a month ago.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm

If I'm applying for a needs based waiver but I have yet to take the LSAT (taking in Oct.), would it be worth sending out emails to schools explaining my financial situation and saying that I can provide my and my mother's documents demonstrating the need? Or would this be a waste of time without any stats? I know needs based waivers are based on needs but it seems like a lot of schools may be stingy in distributing them

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:55 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:If I'm applying for a needs based waiver but I have yet to take the LSAT (taking in Oct.), would it be worth sending out emails to schools explaining my financial situation and saying that I can provide my and my mother's documents demonstrating the need? Or would this be a waste of time without any stats? I know needs based waivers are based on needs but it seems like a lot of schools may be stingy in distributing them

Have you tried getting the LSAC waiver? That's the one you want if you can get it.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:If I'm applying for a needs based waiver but I have yet to take the LSAT (taking in Oct.), would it be worth sending out emails to schools explaining my financial situation and saying that I can provide my and my mother's documents demonstrating the need? Or would this be a waste of time without any stats? I know needs based waivers are based on needs but it seems like a lot of schools may be stingy in distributing them

Go ahead and send them out. They'll send you an email with the form you need to complete. You don't need to input any LSAT info, just your LSAC account number.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

Have you tried getting the LSAC waiver? That's the one you want if you can get it.

Faxing out the info to them tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath though since they seem to be really tight with them.

takehold

Postby takehold » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:42 am

Finally got Michigan via mail today...so for those of you who got skipped in the first big wave, don't lose hope.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 am

takehold wrote:Finally got Michigan via mail today...so for those of you who got skipped in the first big wave, don't lose hope.

def hoping you aren't just part of that wave and got it late : )

80eight

Postby 80eight » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:41 am

I conquered my fears and checked for an NYU hidden waiver-- yay!! Is it possible for me to delete things now so it doesn't say I'm 100% complete? That freaks me out, knowing that I attached a random file for my personal statement etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”