2011-12 Cycle Fee Waiver Tracking Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Imogene

New

Re: 2011-12 Cycle Fee Waiver Tracking

Post by Imogene » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm

I disagree. My highest LSAT is a 165, and I received fee waivers from University of Pennsylvania and Mich! :) (unsolicited) I realize it is prolly all yp, but I am happy regardless.

bro2baseball

New

Post by bro2baseball » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:10 am

indigomachine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
bro2baseball wrote:My stats are 3.61/165. I took the LSAT for the first time in October.

So far I have received via email (in reverse chronological order):

UPenn (just got it 30 min ago)
Kentucky
Catholic
Tulane
Miami
Indiana-Bloomington
Denver
Colorado-Boulder
Notre Dame
Michigan State
BYU
Iowa
Emory
Florida State
Cincinnati
Minnesota
UConn
Temple
Richmond
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgetown
Cardozo
William & Mary

I have also solicited waivers, based on financial need, from:
Boston College
Boston University
I think you mean Penn State
^This

Nope. I know the difference between Penn and Penn St, thanks very much. I did get a Penn State waiver 11/16, by the way.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:16 am

bro2baseball wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
bro2baseball wrote:My stats are 3.61/165. I took the LSAT for the first time in October.

Kentucky
Catholic
Tulane
Miami
Indiana-Bloomington
Denver
Colorado-Boulder
Notre Dame
Michigan State
BYU
Iowa
Emory
Florida State
Cincinnati
Minnesota
UConn
Temple
Richmond
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgetown
Cardozo
William & Mary

Boston College
Boston University
^This

Nope. I know the difference between Penn and Penn St, thanks very much. I did get a Penn State waiver 11/16, by the way.
I thought you meant Penn State too; I had received a Penn State waiver minutes before you posted. Anyways, congrats on getting that U of Penn waiver, that was one of the only schools I didn't receive a waiver for (that one, Northwestern, and NYU).

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:01 pm

UWisconsin, Northeastern.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:02 pm

bro2baseball wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Kentucky
Catholic
Tulane
Miami
Indiana-Bloomington
Denver
Colorado-Boulder
Notre Dame
Michigan State
BYU
Iowa
Emory
Florida State
Cincinnati
Minnesota
UConn
Temple
Richmond
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgetown
Cardozo
William & Mary

Boston College
Boston University
^This

Haha yeah I was in the same boat. Got Penn State a few min before the post and got UPenn like a day or two before, so I figured they wouldn't do another scan the same week. Congrats though! That's awesome :)

I'm pretty happy with my fee waiver's this cycle, though a little bit bummed about no waiver from CCN.

Haven't been keeping up with this, but got Michigan via snail mail a few days ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeylikesit

Bronze

Post by mikeylikesit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:41 am

I had checked for a hidden NYU waiver a few weeks back when most people discovered them and didn't have one - but today when I submitted I had a waiver. Coooooool.

TheGoodDoctor

New

Post by TheGoodDoctor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:30 am

What do schools have to know to give fee waivers? I took the October LSAT (165) and received several waivers (UCLA, U Wash, W+M, Michegan, BU to name some of the top ones) from October to Mid November. However, I only just paid for CAS and sent my transcripts a couple days ago on November 22nd.

The only other way schools would have known my GPA is through the self-reported range that you can enter on the LSAC CRS form (I reported 3.75< because I'm a 3.94). Thus, the only definite criteria the schools above could have judged me on was my October LSAT.

Did I shoot myself in the foot by not formally reporting my GPA sooner? Or do schools just use the LSAT Score and GPA Range from CAS?

I'm pissed at myself because I feel like I should have gotten a lot more T50 waivers than I did. Is there any chance that schools check back with CRS this late in the game and might send out another wave of them after seeing my GPA?

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:13 am

TheGoodDoctor wrote:What do schools have to know to give fee waivers? I took the October LSAT (165) and received several waivers (UCLA, U Wash, W+M, Michegan, BU to name some of the top ones) from October to Mid November. However, I only just paid for CAS and sent my transcripts a couple days ago on November 22nd.

The only other way schools would have known my GPA is through the self-reported range that you can enter on the LSAC CRS form (I reported 3.75< because I'm a 3.94). Thus, the only definite criteria the schools above could have judged me on was my October LSAT.

Did I shoot myself in the foot by not formally reporting my GPA sooner? Or do schools just use the LSAT Score and GPA Range from CAS?

I'm pissed at myself because I feel like I should have gotten a lot more T50 waivers than I did. Is there any chance that schools check back with CRS this late in the game and might send out another wave of them after seeing my GPA?
You can always solicit

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Also got a Northwestern one this morning, glad for that as I was really considering applying but their $100 fee is steep as all hell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:02 pm

If I only just signed up for CRS today, will I still get offered fee waivers? 177 LSAT. Really hoping for waivers at Columbia, NYU, and lower-tier T14.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:10 pm

jd5 wrote:If I only just signed up for CRS today, will I still get offered fee waivers? 177 LSAT. Really hoping for waivers at Columbia, NYU, and lower-tier T14.
I'd email them your stats, explain you just recently signed up for CRS. Don't waste your time waiting.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Kansas

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Don't mean to necro this thread but did anyone else get the fee waiver today from Charlotte SoL that lists your exact numbers?

"Hello XXXXX,

Based on your LSAT score of 17X and your 3.XX you may qualify for one of our merit scholarships of at least $29,000. I have even higher scholarship funds available for our spring class starting at the end of January and because I know that this would be sooner than you were planning I also have some moving expense reimbursement funds up to $2,000 (for spring only).

If the spring is not an option for you, our fall 2012 application is also currently available. Both our spring and fall applications are FREE and no fee waiver code is needed when you apply online at the LSAC website."

First email I've gotten that actually has my two numbers in it. For some reason I assumed CRS only gave schools ranges of scores... not our exact numbers. Will probably unenroll now that I've applied to all the schools I want to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsatwizkid

New

Post by lsatwizkid » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:46 pm

Yeah LSAC gives them exact numbers. I know of someone who got the same email.

campos

New

Post by campos » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:39 am

Personalized attention done poorly is an ugly thing.

Got this one one at 8:06 AM:
Recently, I had the great pleasure of visiting your beautiful state of Oregon. I was not only impressed by the state but by the students that I visited.

I would like to invite you to apply to Mississippi College School of Law. We are a small law school, that is really more like a small community. We are in the capitol city of Jackson, MS. This puts us in the middle of a "ton" of attorneys, 2 blocks from the State Capitol and 2 blocks from the Federal Building.

Please glance at our website (law.mc.edu) and see if you might be interested in our law school. Also you can look at our newspaper online (clarionledger.com) to see if Jackson might interest you.

If you apply online, we will waive the application fee.

Please do not hesitate to contact me either by phone or email if you have any questions/concerns about our school or law school in general.

Hope to hear from you soon!
And this one at 1:07 PM:
Recently, I had the great pleasure of visiting your beautiful state of Washington. I was not only impressed by the state but by the students that I visited.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately can't include the comic sans font for full effect. Yikes

lsatwizkid

New

Post by lsatwizkid » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 am

haha..classic!

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Just got a fee waiver from Duke and I took the LSAT in October. When I didn't get one then I wasn't that offended because I thought Duke had a 3.5 GPA cut-off for fee waivers (as well as early admission). I wonder if it is because of the app drop or if its because I am the type of person they send this to when it's late so they can reject me and show how selective they are :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 am

Just got a waiver (unsolicited) from Columbia. Wha??? I am substantially below their medians (168/3.3x), and have not received waivers from any other T14 schools, let alone CCN. Is this just aggressive yield protection? I can't think of any other explanation.

Should I spend the $16 for what will almost certainly be a rejection?

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

omninode wrote:Just got a waiver (unsolicited) from Columbia. Wha??? I am substantially below their medians (168/3.3x), and have not received waivers from any other T14 schools, let alone CCN. Is this just aggressive yield protection? I can't think of any other explanation.

Same, and I'm not going to bother. I have no interest in helping them boost their selectivity numbers.

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am

Cornelius wrote:
omninode wrote:Just got a waiver (unsolicited) from Columbia. Wha??? I am substantially below their medians (168/3.3x), and have not received waivers from any other T14 schools, let alone CCN. Is this just aggressive yield protection? I can't think of any other explanation.

Same, and I'm not going to bother. I have no interest in helping them boost their selectivity numbers.
Also got the fee waiver... I'm going to apply although I have a 168.
I wasn't supposed to be accepted at NYU with my lsat and I was, so why not try Columbia?

jwahba

New

Post by jwahba » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Unagi wrote: Also got the fee waiver... I'm going to apply although I have a 168.
I wasn't supposed to be accepted at NYU with my lsat and I was, so why not try Columbia?

This is a good sign. If a top school like Columbia is trying to boost its numbers by offering fee waivers to people below their 25th percentile lsat, it means that schools below them are also probably desperate. That means that this cycle may be kind.
Last edited by jwahba on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vto35

Bronze

Post by vto35 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Cornelius wrote:

Me too and I share the sentiment...why would they be sending waivers 15 days before the end of the cycle like they haven't already filled their class?

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:19 pm

campos wrote:Personalized attention done poorly is an ugly thing.

Got this one one at 8:06 AM:
Recently, I had the great pleasure of visiting your beautiful state of Oregon. I was not only impressed by the state but by the students that I visited.

I would like to invite you to apply to Mississippi College School of Law. We are a small law school, that is really more like a small community. We are in the capitol city of Jackson, MS. This puts us in the middle of a "ton" of attorneys, 2 blocks from the State Capitol and 2 blocks from the Federal Building.

Please glance at our website (law.mc.edu) and see if you might be interested in our law school. Also you can look at our newspaper online (clarionledger.com) to see if Jackson might interest you.

If you apply online, we will waive the application fee.

Please do not hesitate to contact me either by phone or email if you have any questions/concerns about our school or law school in general.

Hope to hear from you soon!
And this one at 1:07 PM:
Recently, I had the great pleasure of visiting your beautiful state of Washington. I was not only impressed by the state but by the students that I visited.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately can't include the comic sans font for full effect. Yikes
I checked out clarionledger.com to see if Jackson may interest me.

Headlines include:

Pardoned killer may fight return to Mississippi
Pedestrian struck, killed in Brookhaven 1:04 PM
Jackson police investigate shooting 10:39 AM
Reward offered in Vicksburg man's beating in Jackson 10:17 AM
Pass Christian woman charged in fatal I-10 crash 10:13 AM

I'm sure Jackson's a nice place, but linking to local news may not provide an accurate picture.

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Gee thanks, Northwestern. Just got your fee waiver. I had planned to apply a month ago, but you didn't give me a waiver then - and $100 is outrageous. So, since UChi sent me their fee waiver a MONTH ago, I chose them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”