Law School and Licensing for a convicted Felon

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DigitalID6

Law School and Licensing for a convicted Felon

Postby DigitalID6 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:08 pm

I am a convicted felon who wants to go to law school and become a criminal defense attorney. In my late 20's, I had a successful business and was making substantial money. When the economy failed, I made some extremely poor choices which resulted in me pleading guilty to three felonies. The three felonies where two counts of use of another persons identity and grand theft. I lost everything. Because of my experience, I want to become a criminal defense attorney. I am now in my early 30's.

I have been accepted to the U of Washington pre-law school. It will be four years before I am even headed towards law school. I am seriously working to change my life. I started a foundation and I work with the special olympics, all positive circumstances for the ethics board.

I want to get admitted to the Bar in Washington. My convictions are out of California. What are my chances? Any advise? I am going to consult with a lawyer, and work to get them reduced to a misdemeanor. I am not sure if this will help.

Any advise will help.

CanadianWolf

Re: Law School and Licensing for a convicted Felon

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 pm

How do 3 felony convictions under two different statutes get reduced to misdemeanors years later ?

You need to speak with an attorney who specializes in bar disciplinary matters in Washington state.

One aggravating factor is that you were in your late 20s---and not just a wild teenager---when the offenses were committed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:16 pm

DigitalID6 wrote: Any advise will help.

Spell "advice" correctly.

Also:

consult with a lawyer

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Definitely consult with a lawyer. Since these convictions are for fraud/theft, they're more likely to come back to hurt you (than, say, a possession charge), though only someone who has experience in the area can give you a real answer.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:38 pm

DigitalID6 wrote:. . . I started a foundation and I work with the special olympics, all positive circumstances for the ethics board. . .

FLAME

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”