Application Fees (Any free ones out there?)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clarawater

Application Fees (Any free ones out there?)

Postby clarawater » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:41 am

The title says it all... I realized I will be paying about $800 in application fees. Anyone know of any schools that give an opportunity for a free application or if there is any way to get a free app. (other than fee-waived) for apps?
I know it may be completely unrealistic, but just thought I'd ask! :)

descartesb4thehorse

Re: Application Fees (Any free ones out there?)

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 am

clarawater wrote:The title says it all... I realized I will be paying about $800 in application fees. Anyone know of any schools that give an opportunity for a free application or if there is any way to get a free app. (other than fee-waived) for apps?
I know it may be completely unrealistic, but just thought I'd ask! :)

If your stats are good, you'll get free ones. If you don't get them automatically or if they aren't hidden (How to Find Hidden Waivers), you can request them. They won't start coming out for a few more weeks I'm guessing, with T1 (at least T-14) starting around September 1.

You'll still pay the $12 LSAC report fee for each school you apply to. I can't think of any that are just generally fee (without a waiver) off the top of my head, but they're probably all T4. Maybe like Akron or something?

ETA: This is, of course, assuming you've chosen the option in CRS on the LSAC website to share your information with schools.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:03 am

This past year, UIUC did not charge a fee to apply. No idea if they plan on doing this again.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:48 am

There are a few threads that deal with this, but most have been locked. A few good resources:

--LinkRemoved-- (you can sort by price of app)
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =2&t=87204 is a good thread, too.

EDIT: Also, descartes has good advice (and a witty name), so do that, too. I got a TON of hidden and requested fee waivers. In fact, I only got turned down for a fee waiver from two of the fifteen or so schools I requested one from. But be careful, the $12 fees add up!
Last edited by swilson215 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:49 am

Also in a previous thread:

vegenator wrote:I know that in the link above, if you sift through the pages there are a couple of spots where people (including me) discuss the lists. But, I think these things get muddled and are hard to find - so I'll happily post again :D

Top 100:
Illinios, Washington & Lee, George Mason, U Utah, Case Western, Baylor, Brooklyn, Loyola (chicago), Chicago Kent, William Mitchell.
T3: Cleveland State, New York Law School, Akron, Arkansas - LIttle Rock, Pacific McGeorge (I believe you have to fill out a survey on their website?), University of Saint Thomas in Minneapolis, Toledo
T4: Florida Coastal, Golden Gate, John Marshall, Cooley, & Tulsa
Unranked: Irvine, Drexel

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”