How hard is it to get into yale on a serious note.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123

How hard is it to get into yale on a serious note.

Postby justwondering123 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Like i know i will have to have a 4.0 GPA and at least 173 on the lsat's

But extra curricular and other sides outside academia what makes an individual stand out?

Has any members of here been admitted to Yale?

thecilent

Re: How hard is it to get into yale on a serious note.

Postby thecilent » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Omgz yale!!

Based on your op, you have virtually 0 shot at Yale. I sincerely hth

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Yale? Piece of cake. Now try getting in to a top rated school like cooley....

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:06 pm

lsat is not plural. That shit drives me nuts. LSAT.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:16 pm

justwondering123 wrote:

Flame

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:17 pm

jstubbs wrote:lsat is not plural. That shit drives me nuts. LSAT.

No but as the OP correctly noted it is possessive. Learn your apostrophe rules dumbass.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:28 pm

duckmoney wrote:
jstubbs wrote:lsat is not plural. That shit drives me nuts. LSAT.

No but as the OP correctly noted it is possessive. Learn your apostrophe rules dumbass.

hahaha

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:39 pm

lol.
Last edited by Shammis on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Okay so I'm going to answer this seriously since there might be lurkers who could use the information:

Yale uses a process where applications go one of 2-3 pathways--either Dean Asha thinks you're amazing and admits you directly, or you go through faculty review. I think there might be a third path where Dean Asha decides you have no shot and you are directly rejected, but I'm not sure. At faculty review, three profs are given your application in a larger stack and you're rated from 1-4. If you get a total score of 12, you're in. 11 you're either in or waitlisted. I think 10 is waitlists and rejects and everything below that is rejected. So there's a lot of sort of randomness just because different profs will react to your applications.

That being said, you can draw a couple things from this:
1) Academics and academic LORs are going to be really important. For most admits, it's going to be a *professor* assessing them. Because of this, I think the professor LORs are especially important at Yale in a way they aren't elsewhere since they're talking professor to professor.
2) Though there are stories every year of some person who had a low GPA or a low LSAT score getting in, they're still exceptions. If you look at the charts, your best odds really do come when you have a high 3.9+ GPA and LSAT score. This makes sense since these are academic indicators. If you have a lower GPA or LSAT, by all means apply since you might be the exception, but in terms of maximizing your odds, it's good to just maximize these.
3) Other than that, they like to see activities that indicate that you're someone who is likely to make some sort of "mark". So, impressive work experience or accomplishments while in undergrad do count, but it's not like anyone can tell you do X club, etc. etc.

Also, Dean Asha has noted all sorts of grammatical things she's a stickler for on her blog, so getting your grammar correct on your application will be important.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:34 pm

justwondering123 wrote:Like i know i will have to have a 4.0 GPA and at least 173 on the lsat's

But extra curricular and other sides outside academia what makes an individual stand out?

I've said this on another thread recently — but there isn't necessarily any single standout quality that is required for admission to Yale. Assuming your numbers are in a realistic range, just make sure to frame your application in a way that makes clear all that you have to offer as a student. For example, if your letter writers will be able to talk about your abilities as a student, make sure your essays/resume call attention to your other accomplishments. Every year, Yale admits a wide range of applicants from all walks of life — the trick isn't to find those magic soft factors that will make you a shoe-in, but to draw attention to how your specific talents, whatever they may be, will make you a good law student and a fit for Yale Law.

With that said, the first point made by the previous poster — that Yale, perhaps more than most schools, is very interested in how applicants performed in academic environments — is true. This is important to emphasize in a Yale application, as long is it doesn't come at the exclusion of other important aspects of your resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”