Should I submit an addendum for 7 pt. LSAT score jump?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cartman

Should I submit an addendum for 7 pt. LSAT score jump?

Postby Cartman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Hello fellow TLSers,

Some schools recommend that you do - and for the ones that do recommend it for a score jump of over 5 points I will absolutely submit one. However, I also have a massive upward GPA trend (to the tune of a 3.78 in the last two years, or since I transferred from a community college to a university) from a pitiful 3.32 once my poor first year of college was factored in, so I want to submit an addendum addressing that as well. I don't want to get addendum crazy, however, or go too overboard.

So, for colleges who do not specify whether or not one should submit an addendum for a major LSAT score discrepancy (I went from a 162 to a 169) would it still be a good idea to submit one, even if I plan on submitting one for grades? And if so, would it be wise to combine both of them onto one page, or submit them separately?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Blessedassurance

Re: Should I submit an addendum for 7 pt. LSAT score jump?

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Last edited by Blessedassurance on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:44 pm

I think it depends on why you scored lower the first time. Personally, I had an 8 pt jump and didn't write an addendum at all because the reason was that I didn't study enough the first time. I suppose if that's your reason and you can write that in a way that doesn't come across as stupid (for taking a test unprepared), then go for it.

protein

Postby protein » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:30 am

If you have a legit reason for scoring poorly the first time (illness etc), definitely write an addendum

Some schools say they take the average of your LSATs, but can be convinced otherwise through an addendum

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks for the good advice. As for the reason behind the jump, I had been scoring consistently higher on PT's and just didn't perform on test day. I really think it had something to do with the testing conditions (desk's smaller than an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper). Obviously, I don't want to put stuff like that down - it just looks like I'm making excuses for the first score. I think I can craft an addendum explaining the score discrepancy while making it look like a positive thing, something along the lines of:

As for the score discrepancy between my first and second LSAT scores, I am constantly trying to improve and better myself. I do not like to settle on performances that I feel could have gone better. As such, I decided to put in a strong effort to improve upon my first score.

Something along those lines anyways - but it wasn't due to illness. Frankly I really think it was just the test center (and maybe some early jitters etc. etc.) but I also studied a lot more the second time around (did the PS bibles etc.). So, in everyone's advice, is two addendum's alright? One for the grades and one for the LSAT score discrepancy? I think that should be all I need - I just don't want to go overboard.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Hmmm....so I saw another thread debating whether or not to add an addendum for an LSAT score jump, and many people voted "no" that sending one was not a good idea. Seeing as my score discrepancy was also not due to illness, but merely to the desire of wanting to study more and give another shot, should I also not add an addendum? I know at least one of the schools I plan on applying to suggests submitting an addendum if there's a 5+ point jump, so I have to for that school. What about for schools that don't say anything on the subject?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:26 pm

mistergoft wrote:Didn't read op, but generally it's said that you should let the score speak for itself.

Yeah, that might be a good idea. Should I at least write an addendum for the school that suggests I do if there's a 5+ point gap? For the other schools I suppose I don't need to. Anyone else agree or have any experience?

Thanks!

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Last edited by Blessedassurance on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Cartman wrote:Hmmm....so I saw another thread debating whether or not to add an addendum for an LSAT score jump, and many people voted "no" that sending one was not a good idea. Seeing as my score discrepancy was also not due to illness, but merely to the desire of wanting to study more and give another shot, should I also not add an addendum? I know at least one of the schools I plan on applying to suggests submitting an addendum if there's a 5+ point jump, so I have to for that school. What about for schools that don't say anything on the subject?

If you write an addendum, do not use the unprepared excuse. It is the truth in most cases, but it is not a particularly good excuse.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:46 pm

if the school really wants the addendum for the LSAT score jump, they may ask for it. I saw a few people in the last cycle who were asked for it, but I believe these were schools that asked for it originally, but the applicant did not provide it. So yeah, if it's built in the application, do it. If it's not, just let it be. Like I said, I didn't include one and found no difference in my cycle from what was expected (at least not in a negative way).

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Just wanted to add that I also had a 7 point jump and after a lot of deliberation, didn't write an addendum for the same reason sarahlawg didn't - I was having trouble writing it in a way that didn't sound like an excuse. My cycle as well wasn't negatively affected at all by the lack of addendum.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:25 am

kazu wrote:Just wanted to add that I also had a 7 point jump and after a lot of deliberation, didn't write an addendum for the same reason sarahlawg didn't - I was having trouble writing it in a way that didn't sound like an excuse. My cycle as well wasn't negatively affected at all by the lack of addendum.

This seems to be the general consensus - thanks for the advice and personal story input! I will write one for Lewis and Clark, then, because they ask for one. I also might write one for University of Washington, since they average multiple scores and I might try to see if I can get them to consider my higher one - I haven't decided for sure, though. For the rest I guess I'll pass.

Thanks so far for all the input, and if anyone else wants to share their story keep em' coming!

LawSchoolGuru

Postby LawSchoolGuru » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:01 pm

What if you were taking 3 college classes while you were also studying for the LSAT? Good/bad reason for addendum?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

LawSchoolGuru wrote:What if you were taking 3 college classes while you were also studying for the LSAT? Good/bad reason for addendum?

Terrible reason.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:16 pm

kazu wrote:Just wanted to add that I also had a 7 point jump and after a lot of deliberation, didn't write an addendum for the same reason sarahlawg didn't - I was having trouble writing it in a way that didn't sound like an excuse. My cycle as well wasn't negatively affected at all by the lack of addendum.

Just to give an additional point of reference. I had an 8 point jump overall, and I submitted addenda for my GPA and my LSAT. They were both short and to the point. I reviewed them several times to make sure they said nothing extra besides that my LSAT increased because I persisted to find a way to study for it that worked for me. My GPA addendum said that my grades junior year were lower than usual as I was taking all of my classes in French at a university that tends to give lower grades than the US standard. I sent these to each school that I applied to, and I don't believe they had a negative effect on my cycle. I was just giving context about myself, and I did my best to make it not sound like an excuse.

Either way, you will probably be fine. I would submit a simple addendum if the school asks for it anywhere on their website or suggests that they would not outright take the higher score. Otherwise, I agree with Kazu- I don't think it will hurt at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”