Getting UG Academic Records Expunged Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kreemo_Kid

New

Getting UG Academic Records Expunged

Post by Kreemo_Kid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Hello all, I started a thread yesterday inquiring about whether or not to attempt not reporting a transcript with bad grades from the UG I attended before my current one. The feedback I got has all warned me not to attempt such a thing as I will suffer extreme consequences down the road. This has led me to try and find another course of action and I have settled upon attempting to have the original grades (4 F's a C and a C-) expunged after retaking the courses. Those bad grades were the result of a gaming addiction and I have not transferred the F's and C's to my current UG. Should I transfer them and retake the courses at my current UG and then petition to have the originals expunged, or do I need to go back to my first UG to retake the courses and request the originals be expunged? Does anyone have any knowledge on the probability of success for petitioning grades to be expunged at a small private college?

P.S. I am an AA male and my GPA aside from the failed classes and C's is a 3.7 with lots of room to improve. I have my eyes on T6 and potentially HYS so I don't really have the option of just eating the F's.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Getting UG Academic Records Expunged

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 pm

It won't work. Some people have successfully had grades turned from F's to W's because they never attended the classes, but if you did indeed earn an F then you most likely have to live with it. LSAC treats repeated courses the same way that they treat totally different courses, both grades count.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:16 pm

I don't know if you can get academic records expunged. It's like you're asking for a retrocative withdrawal from a school you do not even attend anymore. I don't know if such a thing can be done especially when your excuse is a gaming addiction, and not a death in the family or something more out of your control. Don't take this the wrong way, but it just sounds like you don't want to take responsibility for your actions.

What is your GPA even with these poor grades? You can calculate it here: http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

If you have at least a 3.3 (possibly a 3.2) you still have a shot a the T6, including HYS (well, really just H), if you score a 172+ on the LSAT.

You're probably wasting your time with this grade issue and I doubt that you can do anything ex post. You need to focus on what you can control, namely, the LSAT.

Kreemo_Kid

New

Post by Kreemo_Kid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:47 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I don't know if you can get academic records expunged. It's like you're asking for a retrocative withdrawal from a school you do not even attend anymore. I don't know if such a thing can be done especially when your excuse is a gaming addiction, and not a death in the family or something more out of your control. Don't take this the wrong way, but it just sounds like you don't want to take responsibility for your actions.

What is your GPA even with these poor grades? You can calculate it here: http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

If you have at least a 3.3 (possibly a 3.2) you still have a shot a the T6, including HYS (well, really just H), if you score a 172+ on the LSAT.

You're probably wasting your time with this grade issue and I doubt that you can do anything ex post. You need to focus on what you can control, namely, the LSAT.
I have heard that if you retake a class and only the new grade appears on the transcript the LSAC will count the new grade only. What I mean by having them expunged is petitioning to have only the new grade show up on my transcript after I retake the classes. Also if my cumulative GPA aside from the failed transcript is above a 3.8 will law schools view the F's as an isolated incident or would it be strictly about the cumulative numbers in this case?

l'aviadora

New

Post by l'aviadora » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Negative...both grades will count. It will have the effect of averaging the two. If you attended the class and earned the F, it will stand. If you stopped attending the class and couldn't/didn't (with good reason) drop it, you might be able to get retroactive withdrawal. You'll have to come up with a much better reason than a gaming addiction. Hopefully there is one, since you'll likely have to provide extensive documentation, it just depends on the school. Don't try to lie on this one either. It could come back on you. Unfortunately, there is no easy way out. Many people applying to law school are in this situation. As Gaia said, just focus on the LSAT and application package and do the best that you can. Good Luck, OP!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:05 pm

tbh, I don't think any school simply erases Fs and Cs just because you've retaken a class. Does a petition like that even exist? The new grade will show up on the transcript, but the fact that you took the class for a second time will also be evidenced on your transcript. In that sense:
bdubs wrote: LSAC treats repeated courses the same way that they treat totally different courses, both grades count.
Unless you do something very risky (and quite frankly, stupid) and decide to not send this transcript to LSAC, you cannot get rid of the fact that you have these poor grades, I'm sorry to say.

Your second question is kinda weird because you seem to refuse to accept that those grades will be counted. Though your current UG GPA may be a 3.8, your cumulative LSAC GPA (the only one that matters) will not be a 3.8. Write an addendum to explain the Fs and Cs, and schools will assess those grades accordingly. But like you acknowledged, LS admissions is a numbers game. The Fs and Cs will only hurt as much as it brings down your LSAC GPA.

Again, figure out what your GPA will be with these grades counted. If you have at least a 3.2/3, you still have chance at the T6 only if you have a 172+ LSAT score.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm

If the school actually takes the F off the transcript LSAC will never know. The question is, will the school actually do this?

That is a extremely specific question, that even if TLS knew which school you are talking about, it still couldn't answer.

Why don't you make some calls?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why don't you make some calls?
he has a gaming addiction. telephone conversations are probably a little too close to actual human contact.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 pm

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why don't you make some calls?
he has a gaming addiction. telephone conversations are probably a little too close to actual human contact.
OP you can level up to a level 2 Aspie if you send and email. Level 5 if you make the call. Level 10 if you don't stammer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Even if you transfer the classes and retake at your new university, you still need to turn in a transcript to the LSAC from the first college where you got the F's and C's. If you try to cover this up it will lead to nothing but problems down the line. How would you like to graduate from a T6 with debt only to find out you did not pass character and fitness and so cannot practice law. You just need nut up and accept responsibility for you bad grades. Write an addendum and get over it.

This reminds me of that scene from Tommy Boy: "... all because you wanted to save a couple extra pennies on brake pads"

aerogear

New

Post by aerogear » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 am

Kreemo_Kid wrote:Hello all, I started a thread yesterday inquiring about whether or not to attempt not reporting a transcript with bad grades from the UG I attended before my current one. The feedback I got has all warned me not to attempt such a thing as I will suffer extreme consequences down the road. This has led me to try and find another course of action and I have settled upon attempting to have the original grades (4 F's a C and a C-) expunged after retaking the courses. Those bad grades were the result of a gaming addiction and I have not transferred the F's and C's to my current UG. Should I transfer them and retake the courses at my current UG and then petition to have the originals expunged, or do I need to go back to my first UG to retake the courses and request the originals be expunged? Does anyone have any knowledge on the probability of success for petitioning grades to be expunged at a small private college?

P.S. I am an AA male and my GPA aside from the failed classes and C's is a 3.7 with lots of room to improve. I have my eyes on T6 and potentially HYS so I don't really have the option of just eating the F's.
Why does it matter if you are an AA or not?

If its at a CC then most if not all will allow you to do a one time retroactive withdrawal.

Other than that, you are S.O.L because your gaming addiction isn't an extenuating circumstance. Even if you were to retake the courses, your Fs are still calculated into your LSDAS GPA. (mentioned above).

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:00 am

aerogear wrote:
Kreemo_Kid wrote:Hello all, I started a thread yesterday inquiring about whether or not to attempt not reporting a transcript with bad grades from the UG I attended before my current one. The feedback I got has all warned me not to attempt such a thing as I will suffer extreme consequences down the road. This has led me to try and find another course of action and I have settled upon attempting to have the original grades (4 F's a C and a C-) expunged after retaking the courses. Those bad grades were the result of a gaming addiction and I have not transferred the F's and C's to my current UG. Should I transfer them and retake the courses at my current UG and then petition to have the originals expunged, or do I need to go back to my first UG to retake the courses and request the originals be expunged? Does anyone have any knowledge on the probability of success for petitioning grades to be expunged at a small private college?

Other than that, you are S.O.L because your gaming addiction isn't an extenuating circumstance.
I would contact your previous college and let them decide what are extenuating circumstances or not.

Xixak

Bronze

Post by Xixak » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:44 pm

1.) Lol @ gaming addiction, just sell your console and stop playing. I love video games too it's not that hard. Why the hell did you even bring it to school with you?
2.) Yeah aside from my 4 Fs one semester I have a 4.0.
3.) You should've had your eyes on T6 and HYS while you were winning that 15th straight championship in 2K13 dude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Please define gaming addiction in a way that distinguishes yourself from everyone guy in college ever

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:12 pm

I thought OP meant gambling addiction rather than video game addiction. Neither is a good excuse, but the latter is a lot funnier. I hope the OP makes a thread for his addendum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”