Feeling Inadequate.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kwais

Re: Feeling Inadequate.

Postby kwais » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:13 pm

scammedhard wrote:
kwais wrote:I must say I don't get this shit. This whole "giving up 3 years of income" BS. What do you want to DO with your life? If you want to be a lawyer, I seriously doubt that at 45, after 20 years of practice, you will be saying "shit, if only I had made that 70k 20 years ago"
Life is long bro, NOTHING has passed you by at 26. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a pussy. The only question you should be asking yourself is do you want to be an attorney. I yes, go to law school, if not, don't. But don't make any decisions based on the next three years of potential earnings.

Only the next three years? Going to law school (or not) impacts one's career prospects for the remainder of one's career, not just three years. I think that is the main issue here.

Understood, but OP seems to believe that he/she will graduate with no debt, meaning that their job prospects will only improve and there will be no biglaw or screwed situation. When someone takes on 200k debt, thereby narrowing the reasonable range of post-grad options, then the job prospects issue is far more important. So again, I say that the only question is whether OP wants to be a lawyer, not whether they are negatively affecting their consulting career

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Why is everyone acting as if having a lot of debt is a big deal? Ever heard of IBR?

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:11 pm

scammedhard wrote:
Maxmillion wrote:Yes, I am 23. Most of my friends have jobs with delloite or pwc. The t30 meant a school ranked in the top 30 or now, 25.

I know that the decision to attend (or not) law school is a hard one, and I think in TLS you are most likely going to get wishful and overly optimistic thinking about it. On top of that, TLSers understand little about the actual legal profession as they have not yet graduated from law school (or even attended it). Therefore, I think it would be valuable for you to get the opinions from actual JDs at "JD Underground" (--LinkRemoved--).
Good luck.

The people at JDU, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, are the types that were just going to be losers in life no matter what path they chose.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:38 pm

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:34 pm

sd5289 wrote:To OP: re-fucking-lax.

I'm turning 27 in September and I'll be in the application cycle for next year's fall class (meaning I'll turn 28 right after I start). You're 23. I'm not sure about you, but I'm very happy I took the time away from school, started working professionally in the field to make sure I enjoyed it, developed the understanding that student loans are not these magical nebulous things that you get to ignore for the rest of your life, and simply enjoyed life before finally saying yes to becoming an attorney. I even had my first LSAT score expire (that was NOT planned though...it was a very fun moment when I realized I had to take the damn thing again) before I made this decision. I personally feel like WAY too many people jump into law school because they "don't know what else to do," which is not a good reason to go to law school. It's hard, it tends to cost a lot of money, and you have to sacrifice other parts of your life in order to do it. This was a natural progression that I knew I'd eventually end up doing even before the market tanked, but still, saying goodbye to an income and spending ludicrous amounts of money is not something to be taken lightly.

So while it may appear like everyone you know around you has it great, keep it in perspective. First off, they may not even like what they do but they're so stuck in it now that they have no choice but to keep going. Second, this isn't about them; it's about you and what you want to do.

What kind of job do you have that has allowed you to gain experience in the field? Paralegal? My strategy for the next 3 years is kind of similar to what you've done, I guess.

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Your friends are at D&T and PwC only making 70? Must not be in their Advisory practices. Also, I don't remember who posted that consultants top out at 100k, but that's false. Senior Associates (lower on the totem than Managers) make over that, no problem. Unless you go BigLaw you won't top a consultant, but hey, you're not in it for the money, amirite?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:19 am

ViIIager wrote:Your friends are at D&T and PwC only making 70? Must not be in their Advisory practices. Also, I don't remember who posted that consultants top out at 100k, but that's false. Senior Associates (lower on the totem than Managers) make over that, no problem. Unless you go BigLaw you won't top a consultant, but hey, you're not in it for the money, amirite?

Associate titles are usually for those with MBAs or a significant number of years. It changes somewhat shop to shop though. Most fresh undergrads won't come close to a biglaw salary in consulting working for 3-4 years while OP is in law school.

Maxmillion

Postby Maxmillion » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 am

Most of my friends are working in biz advisory or federal practice. I thought consultants were a dime a dozen in a way? The fact that Villager says that 100K is simple is really a bit of a shock to me.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:55 am

The starting salaries are ~65-75k now, with total comp. coming up close to $100k at the very top firms. It would be surprising to me if very many of the kids who started out at BCG, McKinsey, Booz, or Oliver Wyman were making much more than a first year biglaw associate after 3-4 years. Raises just aren't usually that steep, that is why the same people go back for an MBA after a few years just so they can make $170-200k.

http://managementconsulted.com/consulti ... -post-mba/

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:57 am

HarveyBirdman wrote:What kind of job do you have that has allowed you to gain experience in the field? Paralegal? My strategy for the next 3 years is kind of similar to what you've done, I guess.

Yep. In nonprofit legal services so unlike a lot of paralegal jobs, I've actually been able to do real legal work (under the supervision of a staff attorney of course) like drafting affidavits, collecting and analyzing evidence for U-Visa and VAWA applications, drafting petitions for various Family Court cases, etc. I've also been lucky in that I administer the agency's partnership with the police and DA's office, so I'm directly involved in the criminal cases from the point of arrest to the final disposition as well. I love it, and I'm kind of sad that I'll have to leave it this time next year.

Plus, I got to live a little before losing all the non-work/school parts of my life for at least 3 years. :)

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:23 pm

^ Yeah, it does sound great. For me though it's going to be actually getting that first real job, whether law related or not, that's going to be tough. Breaking on through to the other side. I graduate from college in 5 months...guess the military's always there as a backup, but I dunno.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”