Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justbubbles
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby justbubbles » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 pm

Yale and quite a few other T14s do. Why not Harvard? They only state their 25-75th range, but no max/min range. :?

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby lawgod » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 pm

They don't need 50 billion applications.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:26 pm

They don't think it's important, or even useful? I don't think it's a big deal. Also max is 4.0+ and 180.

User avatar
futurelawyer413
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby futurelawyer413 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 am

I dont think any law school discloses their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby glewz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:I dont think any law school discloses their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted

Stanford discloses full LSAT & GPA ranges

User avatar
iamnooneelse
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby iamnooneelse » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:36 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:I dont think any law school discloses their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted


Chicago does.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby boosk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 am

links?

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby glewz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:28 am

boosk wrote:links?

http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/deg ... /viewbook/
second to last page

User avatar
iamnooneelse
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby iamnooneelse » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:47 am

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 am

Unless I misunderstand the OP, I thought we wanted lowest admitted LSAT/GPAs combos. The UChi profile represents the range of the actual matriculating class. Not the full range of those admitted but may have chosen to attend another institution.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:08 am

Because then more fresh UGs with a 3.5 and 165 would apply to Harvard and think that their pre-law society soft will get them acceptance to Harvard.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby booboo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:13 am

shock259 wrote:Because then more fresh UGs with a 3.5 and 165 would apply to Harvard and think that their pre-law society soft will get them acceptance to Harvard.


How is this bad? More application fees for auto dings.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:17 am

How is this bad?


Having to read every one of them.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:22 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Unless I misunderstand the OP, I thought we wanted lowest admitted LSAT/GPAs combos. The UChi profile represents the range of the actual matriculating class. Not the full range of those admitted but may have chosen to attend another institution.

True, but I imagine it gives a pretty good idea. How many people under 3.1 could there be saying "thanks, but no thanks" to Chicago?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:27 am

booboo wrote:
shock259 wrote:Because then more fresh UGs with a 3.5 and 165 would apply to Harvard and think that their pre-law society soft will get them acceptance to Harvard.


How is this bad? More application fees for auto dings.

Could go the other way

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am

Samara wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Unless I misunderstand the OP, I thought we wanted lowest admitted LSAT/GPAs combos. The UChi profile represents the range of the actual matriculating class. Not the full range of those admitted but may have chosen to attend another institution.

True, but I imagine it gives a pretty good idea. How many people under 3.1 could there be saying "thanks, but no thanks" to Chicago?


I hear you and my first inclination is to agree with you. I'm just saying it does not actually represent what the OP is looking for. But let's not forget that a lot of people even with low stats routinely decide to attend a lower-ranked institution with $$$ or for regional/personal reasons. Also people may just be uniformed and simply not realize the opportunities they have with a Chicago acceptance and choose to go elsewhere. So it's quite possible that a substantial amount of admitted applicants may be left out of that Class of 2013 profile.

justbubbles
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby justbubbles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Unless I misunderstand the OP, I thought we wanted lowest admitted LSAT/GPAs combos. The UChi profile represents the range of the actual matriculating class. Not the full range of those admitted but may have chosen to attend another institution.


Good point.

Let's also keep in mind that schools don't have to disclose and report "special" scores and grades (eg. accommodated undergrad/test scores, international LSAT and GPA without an accurate conversion metric, special undergrad programs for special interest groups, etc) with the rest of the incoming class.

But it's still a good indicator of things no less; much better than the 25th-75th median ranges IMO.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Shame.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 pm

I think it is a useless indicator. Unless you are a special case, it won't be you getting in. And if you are a special case it's not a good enough sample. The guy who cured cancer with his 19 inch penis might have gotten into HLS witha 161, but that doesn't mean he coudn't have still gotten in with a 155.

GimmeThatJD
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Why doesn't Harvard disclose their lowest LSAT/GPA admitted?

Postby GimmeThatJD » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:11 am

Desert Fox wrote:I think it is a useless indicator. Unless you are a special case, it won't be you getting in. And if you are a special case it's not a good enough sample. The guy who cured cancer with his 19 inch penis might have gotten into HLS witha 161, but that doesn't mean he coudn't have still gotten in with a 155.



+1




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigeast03, cowabunga, stratton_oakmont, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests