Applying now, what to do until F2012?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theaether

Applying now, what to do until F2012?

Postby theaether » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:25 pm

So applying this October for Fall 2012 enrollment leaves me with almost 15 months of time. I was considering applying to paralegal positions and wanted to know if that would be time spent wisely, or if I should try for some consulting jobs with my econ degree.

Another question: put LSAT on resume for recent college grad for applying to paralegal positions yes/no? It's above 99 percentile. Most of the responses I've read in the archives here that adamantly hated the idea argued that the person was already in law school and had 1L grades to show employers, a case which doesn't apply to me.

bk1

Re: Applying now, what to do until F2012?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Find something that you would enjoy doing or that will make you money. In either case it's not really going to affect your law school apps.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:58 pm

theaether wrote:So applying this October for Fall 2012 enrollment leaves me with almost 15 months of time. I was considering applying to paralegal positions and wanted to know if that would be time spent wisely, or if I should try for some consulting jobs with my econ degree.

Another question: put LSAT on resume for recent college grad for applying to paralegal positions yes/no? It's above 99 percentile. Most of the responses I've read in the archives here that adamantly hated the idea argued that the person was already in law school and had 1L grades to show employers, a case which doesn't apply to me.

I put my 97th percentile LSAT on my resume. I'm almost positive that a number of call backs I received from finance firms was related to this because my LSAT score was one of the main talking points during the interviews. From my personal experience, definitely throw a 99th percentile LSAT on your resume. It distinguishes you from the crowd.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:00 pm

This is especially the case if you were like me and took a month or so off to study for the LSAT. Employers will ask why you have the gap in your resume and a 99th percentile score is great justification, at least if I was doing the hiring--which I will be in a month or so.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Sounds like a fun conversation in the interview:

Employer: "So, what is an LSAT?"

Interviewee: "The test for law school admissions. I scored in the 99th percentile!"

Employer: "Oh, so you're going to law school next year? Don't call us, we'll call you."

theaether

Postby theaether » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds like a fun conversation in the interview:

Interviewee: "The test for law school admissions. I scored in the 99th percentile!"

Employer: "Oh, so you're going to law school next year? Don't call us, we'll call you."

Yes this is true. But I have seen postings for paralegal positions that specifically look for applicants who can demonstrate that they are seriously interested in going to law school. I'm not sure which situation is more common.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah my post was for entry level jobs in general, not necessarily paralegal work where future law school attendance is the norm.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:19 am

Order of importance:

1)Whichever pays more if the difference is significant.
2)Whichever you'll be more happy with.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds like a fun conversation in the interview:

Bingo!

However, if you are lucky enough to secure employment, make your money and throw as much of it into a savings account as you can. I've been out of school for a few years working in the legal field, and I'm counting my blessings that I'll have a pretty sizable savings account this time next year before I quit and start law school.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Yeah my post was for entry level jobs in general, not necessarily paralegal work where future law school attendance is the norm.

Yup, I was trying to answer OP's question "put LSAT on resume for recent college grad for applying to paralegal positions yes/no?" so it would look like we're on the same page. Most law firms know that cheapest/best way to fill entry level positions are filled by smart kids on their way to T6 (like OP's LSAT score indicates) who want to boost their law apps and don't mind being paid a little less than would otherwise be the case to have your firm name on their resume.

My case was special because entry-level finance positions at competitive banks tend to have a high turnover; if you don't meet your numbers, you're gone. They're much more interested in your intellectual ability rather than how long you'll be there for. They know that if you can't meet quotas, you'll be out of a job and if you can... it'd be difficult to turn down a high 6 figure and the possibility of a 7 figure job within a couple years.

I wouldn't put my LSAT score if I was applying for retail or customer service where employee turnover costs the company money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”