Intl students LSAC ranking breakdown.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justwondering123

Intl students LSAC ranking breakdown.

Postby justwondering123 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:05 pm

So far (im currently in my first undergraduate year- expecting results in 2 weeks) the grades i have received in my first year are mainly 2.2./2.1's which I know LSAC calculate as 'above average'

All i want to know is say with two 1's in the second and third years- i.e. 2 superior lsac ratings would this equate to an overall rating of 'superior'

If any past international students have used such a service it would be really useful if you could provide your breakdown and overall ranking, to help me in my predicament.

justwondering123

Re: Intl students LSAC ranking breakdown.

Postby justwondering123 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:23 am

anyone?

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:05 pm

First of all, there is not a lot of transparency in the way that the LSAC award rankings to international students, so the straight answer is that I don't know.

However, I think that they will do one of the two things:

1. If your uni classifies your degree as a First, LSAC will call it Superior, whereas if your uni gives you a 2.1, LSAC will call it Above Average; OR

2. LSAC will look at your overall average. If it's 60-70, you'll be above average, and if it's 70+, you'll be Superior.

Of course, there's a lot of overlap between 1 and 2, and depending on your university's system, they may be exactly the same. You can't be sure how it'll work out but, to give yourself the best chance, you have to get a First overall.

justwondering123

Postby justwondering123 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:30 pm

tvt86 wrote:First of all, there is not a lot of transparency in the way that the LSAC award rankings to international students, so the straight answer is that I don't know.

However, I think that they will do one of the two things:

1. If your uni classifies your degree as a First, LSAC will call it Superior, whereas if your uni gives you a 2.1, LSAC will call it Above Average; OR

2. LSAC will look at your overall average. If it's 60-70, you'll be above average, and if it's 70+, you'll be Superior.

Of course, there's a lot of overlap between 1 and 2, and depending on your university's system, they may be exactly the same. You can't be sure how it'll work out but, to give yourself the best chance, you have to get a First overall.

When you say average do you mean a 'mean' i.e. a calculation of all three years worth of overall grades divided by 3 (the years my LLB is) then producing a average. Or some other method?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”