LORs - academic v WE Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
freestallion

Silver

LORs - academic v WE

Post by freestallion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been out of school for a year, and I have one good academic LOR from my thesis supervisor. I could go back and ask some of my professors from senior year, but I doubt they would remember me enough to give me a good recommendation. At most I feel like I'd probably get a generic letter from them.

However, I have a lot of good work/internship experience and have supervisors who like me and are willing to write pretty compelling letters-- and I think their letters speak better to my interests/passions in public interest law.

One of my internships was basically a research internship, so it draws upon a lot of academic skills in research, writing, etc.

Would it hurt to have 2 work experience LORs and only 1 academic? or 1 of each?

Or should I go back and get a second letter from a prof who probably barely remembers me now... =/

I am applying for the t-14 and I know for Northwestern work experience LORs are probably fine.. just curious about the others.

Thanks!

bdubs

Gold

Re: LORs - academic v WE

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm

One year is not a lot of time. Not having 2 academic LORs will look suspect to T14 schools, except Northwestern which doesn't really ask for LORs at all.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm

That's really frustrating. I guess a generic and boring academic LOR is better than a really good professional one? :(

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 pm

freestallion wrote:That's really frustrating. I guess a generic and boring academic LOR is better than a really good professional one? :(
I think 3 LORs is the best, and 2 academic and one professional is a good combination for someone with a year of experience.

With 3 letters it's probably ok if one is somewhat generic and just says you are a good student. I think it's more of a check the box thing.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 pm

freestallion wrote:That's really frustrating. I guess a generic and boring academic LOR is better than a really good professional one? :(
I'm going to disagree. For most schools you only need 2 LORs, so one academic and one professional would be fine.

In the instance a school requires three, I think 2 academic and 1 professional would be better than > 1 academic and 2 professional though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Moxie wrote:
I'm going to disagree. For most schools you only need 2 LORs, so one academic and one professional would be fine.

In the instance a school requires three, I think 2 academic and 1 professional would be better than > 1 academic and 2 professional though.
I agree that you could tailor it to the school's requirements, but many in the T14 "strongly encourage" 2 academic LORs. If you are getting generic LORs that aren't school specific it would seem to make sense to at least have 2 academic letters available.

--LinkRemoved--

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:33 pm

bdubs wrote:
Moxie wrote:

I agree that you could tailor it to the school's requirements, but many in the T14 "strongly encourage" 2 academic LORs. If you are getting generic LORs that aren't school specific it would seem to make sense to at least have 2 academic letters available.

--LinkRemoved--
Thanks for the response. I guess for the most part, I will go for 2 academic and 1 professional LORs. Not ideal for me, but hopefully it won't hurt my application.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:36 pm

freestallion wrote: Thanks for the response. I guess for the most part, I will go for 2 academic and 1 professional LORs. Not ideal for me, but hopefully it won't hurt my application.
Just because you file a letter with LSAC doesn't mean you have to use it. I had 3 letters available, but only sent 2 with some of my applications. I think you can have as many letters on file as you please, so feel free to request multiple professional ones and use them with the schools that seem to be more accepting of them.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:18 pm

You'd be surprised how some professors may remember you even years later. I applied 4 years out of school and managed to reconnect with old profs. Is there anyone who you took multiple classes with or a small seminar or who really liked you?

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:19 pm

I used two academic LORs and an extracurricular LOR and it definitely did not hurt me. Three is fine, just don't send them a ton.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”