Deferral policies in the T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pkrtbx

Deferral policies in the T14

Postby pkrtbx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

I have been researching deferrals on all of the T14's websites but many of them don't give very clear info on the subject. Columbia's seems to be 1-2 years "no questions asked" which is awesome; does anyone have any info about other T14s that are known to be liberal with deferrals?

r6_philly

Re: Deferral policies in the T14

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:00 am

pkrtbx wrote:I have been researching deferrals on all of the T14's websites but many of them don't give very clear info on the subject. Columbia's seems to be 1-2 years "no questions asked" which is awesome; does anyone have any info about other T14s that are known to be liberal with deferrals?

They are all pretty liberal if you ask timely. Remember the deferral is binding.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 am

Do any T14's allow you to defer scholarships?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07 am

mickeyD wrote:Do any T14's allow you to defer scholarships?

It depends on the candidate but I know a couple people personally with pretty easily obtained $ deferrals (simply asked). Not full scholarships - but I can't imagine it would be different since they obviously want you a lot.

Don't quote me about every T14, but I don't remember seeing a school with a policy that prohibits scholarship deferral.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 am

Just call each school you are interested in and ask them.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:16 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:Just call each school you are interested in and ask them.

Answers will be different as an prospective applicant as opposed to an admit.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:37 am

r6_philly wrote:
futurelawyer413 wrote:Just call each school you are interested in and ask them.

Answers will be different as an prospective applicant as opposed to an admit.

Good call, thx for qualifying.

pkrtbx

Postby pkrtbx » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:44 am

Thanks guys!

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:48 am

r6_philly wrote:
pkrtbx wrote:I have been researching deferrals on all of the T14's websites but many of them don't give very clear info on the subject. Columbia's seems to be 1-2 years "no questions asked" which is awesome; does anyone have any info about other T14s that are known to be liberal with deferrals?

They are all pretty liberal if you ask timely. Remember the deferral is binding.

Really? How sure are you about this?

"After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class." - LSAC
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:50 am

1. that passage only talks about deposits, it doesn't state that school 1 can't revoke admission offer
2. LSAC has no enforcement power

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:00 am

Harvard let me defer very easily, just by writing a short letter explaining why, and signing a form to say I wouldn't apply anywhere else. I also had to send in another form in January confirming my intent to enroll in the fall. (I could have, at that time, asked for another year's deferral)

Michigan was going to allow me to defer and to keep the Darrow scholarship (this had to be voted on by the committee that awards Darrows, but Dean Z said they unanimously agreed to defer it).

NYU would have let me defer, but wouldn't have deferred my scholarship ($62,500)

Chicago... if I recall correctly, was going to let me defer my scholly, but I can't remember for sure.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:14 am

r6_philly wrote:1. that passage only talks about deposits, it doesn't state that school 1 can't revoke admission offer

That's not the point here. We're talking about binding deferrals, so the question is whether other schools would respect the deferral as they would a school's ED contract.

I don't know whether LSAC has enforcement power, but this was cited by Yale Admissions so...?

--> Where do you get the info that a deferral is binding? (and mandates an exclusive relationship with hypothetical school 1)

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:20 am

If you apply to a school ED and are accepted, is deferral still an option?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 am

glewz wrote:
r6_philly wrote:1. that passage only talks about deposits, it doesn't state that school 1 can't revoke admission offer

That's not the point here. We're talking about binding deferrals, so the question is whether other schools would respect the deferral as they would a school's ED contract.

I don't know whether LSAC has enforcement power, but this was cited by Yale Admissions so...?

--> Where do you get the info that a deferral is binding? (and mandates an exclusive relationship with hypothetical school 1)

On binding deferral: you sign a contract promising not to apply anywhere else as a condition of them holding your seat until next year. So you are free to break the contract, but then they won't hold you a seat. I am not sure what other schools will do with your contract, I don't think this happens enough for it to be a problem. I see what you are saying now. I was cautioning that the deferral is binding with the school that grants it.

YLS blog: read the Michigan blog about this: http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=44
you can also read the bylaws yourself

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 am

Sheehan wrote:If you apply to a school ED and are accepted, is deferral still an option?

Some people say yes at some schools, although I feel that ED's case isn't stronger since the applicant may have been borderline in the first place. It's probably case by case as all other deferral requests.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:34 am

r6_philly wrote:
glewz wrote:

On binding deferral: you sign a contract promising not to apply anywhere else as a condition of them holding your seat until next year. So you are free to break the contract, but then they won't hold you a seat. I am not sure what other schools will do with your contract, I don't think this happens enough for it to be a problem. I see what you are saying now. I was cautioning that the deferral is binding with the school that grants it.

YLS blog: read the Michigan blog about this: http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=44
you can also read the bylaws yourself

Interesting article - thanks for the blog btw, never knew Michigan had one as well.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:38 am

glewz wrote:Interesting article - thanks for the blog btw, never knew Michigan had one as well.

NP, I like Dean Z's the best actually.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”