Applying again 6 months later: Pros/Cons? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ml047

New

Applying again 6 months later: Pros/Cons?

Post by ml047 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 pm

I applied very late during this past cycle and submitted a desposit and signed an enrollment form to a not so great school...

As of last week, I've decided to give my LSAT one more shot in October and reapply.

So, my questions are;

(1) Does it really matter if I don't have any work or interning experience this summer? Can I sit at home and just focus on my LSAT or will that look bad? (My resume is filled with internship/volunteer/leadership experiences)

(2) When I reapply to schools this fall, when asked if I was previously enrolled in law school, what do I respond? I mean, technically I have signed an enrollment form, but I'm withdrawing it and not actually attending...so do I need to disclose this?

(3) I applied very late last cycle, meaning my professors submitted my LORS just this past March...Can I use the same LORS or do my professors have to resubmit, and...leading into my next question

(4) Does it look bad that my application package is basically identical except HOPEFULLY for the addition of a greatly improved LSAT score?

I'm sorry if these questions have already been answered in other threads!

bk1

Diamond

Re: Applying again 6 months later: Pros/Cons?

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm

I did this recently (put a seat deposit down in March, found TLS in April, realized I made a mistake and withdrew from a bad school, retook in June, reapplied in September).

1. I doubt they will really care that much. I mean when you apply you will basically only have a 4 month gap (from graduation till your application date) and that isn't that big a deal. That being said, you should at least try to find a job to support yourself over the next 14 months or so before school starts. Even if it's a part time gig just do something.

2. No, you were not previously enrolled (putting a seat deposit isn't the same as attending school).

3. You can use the exact same LORs.

4. Not at all. I used the exact same LORs and it turned out well. What really matters is that huge LSAT bump. I would rewrite your PS and other essays since using the same ones smacks of laziness. I did feel how you feel, that because they already rejected me that they would do it again even with a much better LSAT but that is not the case at all.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:16 pm

bk is CR. I only want to emphasize that you shouldn't worry about the resume gap. Find something to do part time like he said because you reach a point of diminishing returns on the LSAT, but dont' feel like you need to do something special for the AdComms or that anything you do in that timeframe will impress them.

ml047

New

Post by ml047 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Thank you for your quick responses!

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has done this, and that others have been successful :) (obviously, i need to improve my score lol)

For now, thankfully, my parents are willing to house and feed me until october, but as for doing something just to keep my sanity, im learning to play the guitar so hopefully that, the gym, netflix, and these forums will keep me occupied until the exam!

Thank you for your advice :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am

I didn't even retake and it worked out much better this cycle than last (applied super late).

i revised essays and got new LOR from the same writers.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 am

I re applied to a school that rejected me the cycle before. Re took the LSAT, re wrote the essays, used the same LORS and was accepted with a 75% scholly. Was lucky to stay with the job I had before ( decided to re take and re apply before i gave notice) and sent out the application in november with my october score.

You are not enrolled at the school until your loans have been distributed and you are still on the active roster for the first class session ( and are able to attend classes there).

IF you are not going to work- make sure to do something with your time. while it may not be a big issue to get into schools, future employers may ask about it later. Use the time to focus on a hobby or get in shape, or travel, or teach yourself something new ( an instrument, foreign language, whatever)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”