Could this improve my lsac gpa? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Could this improve my lsac gpa?

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:09 am

Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Could this improve my lsac gpa?

Post by bdubs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 am

Yes, you are required to provide them if they are college level courses taken prior to receiving you bachelors.

I think they regularly have a people who didn't fully comprehend the policy or forgot about courses send in additional transcripts to update their academic summary reports.
Last edited by bdubs on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 am

Yeah, you actually have to disclose these classes, regardless of whether they were on your transcript. You should hurry up and do that, because technically it's against the rules not to.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:16 am

bdubs wrote:Yes, you are required to provide them if they are college level courses taken prior to receiving you bachelors.
Hmm, I wonder if there will be repercussions for not providing them this cycle.

It may be interesting if any adcomms looked into how I've improved my gpa in a year despite having graduated before beginning the application process. Damn TLS, if I had had you in November of last year, you might have saved my cycle before it began.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:19 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
bdubs wrote:Yes, you are required to provide them if they are college level courses taken prior to receiving you bachelors.
Hmm, I wonder if there will be repercussions for not providing them this cycle.

It may be interesting if any adcomms looked into how I've improved my gpa in a year despite having graduated before beginning the application process. Damn TLS, if I had had you in November of last year, you might have saved my cycle before it began.
Schools have people reapply all the time. Are you retaking the LSAT? Are you getting substantive work experience over the next year? I think either of those would overshadow a small change in GPA.

If you are reapplying with almost no change except for the slightly bumped GPA then I think they would be more skeptical.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:34 am

Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:05 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I'll be applying upwards of 5 months earlier with WE and volunteer experience that is going to shape my personal statement. It was a tough decision to redo the cycle, considering I got in to Northwestern, but I couldn't justify it with no money.

Probably retaking the LSAT in October as well. It'll be like a whole new me, with recycled LORs.
You're fine, they probably won't even go back through your old summary report to notice that your GPA changed slightly.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:37 pm

bdubs wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:I'll be applying upwards of 5 months earlier with WE and volunteer experience that is going to shape my personal statement. It was a tough decision to redo the cycle, considering I got in to Northwestern, but I couldn't justify it with no money.

Probably retaking the LSAT in October as well. It'll be like a whole new me, with recycled LORs.
You're fine, they probably won't even go back through your old summary report to notice that your GPA changed slightly.
Thanks. It's actually a fairly large jump for me though so I'm excited. (I'm at x.x9, so if I'm able to get it to the next point, it'll actually be one of the biggest thresholds one can cross) Do law schools typically round up or typically look at the first two numbers: i.e. would a 3.79 be seen as generally a 3.8 or a 3.7?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 pm

bdubs wrote:

Thanks. It's actually a fairly large jump for me though so I'm excited. (I'm at x.x9, so if I'm able to get it to the next point, it'll actually be one of the biggest thresholds one can cross) Do law schools typically round up or typically look at the first two numbers: i.e. would a 3.79 be seen as generally a 3.8 or a 3.7?
I think schools use the hundredth decimal place when reviewing files, so your 3.79 would be a 3.79. Hopefully your little boost means going from below median to above median at some schools though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:15 am

bdubs wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I think schools use the hundredth decimal place when reviewing files, so your 3.79 would be a 3.79. Hopefully your little boost means going from below median to above median at some schools though.
At that level, it only matters in relation to the median.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:36 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
bdubs wrote: I think schools use the hundredth decimal place when reviewing files, so your 3.79 would be a 3.79. Hopefully your little boost means going from below median to above median at some schools though.
At that level, it only matters in relation to the median.

That's not my actual GPA fyi. The jump isn't to get over the median but to get above the GPA floor. *sighs longingly and wishes undergrad could be done a bit differently*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”