Weird to ask this prof for a LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
utopian_grrl

Weird to ask this prof for a LOR?

Postby utopian_grrl » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:38 pm

So, here's the deal:

I plan to apply to all of my law school by the end of November. I currently have one LOR in from a former college professor. That's it. Obviously, I lacked forethought in my LOR quest... There's potential for an employer LOR but it'd probably be weak.

However, I did have another professor very early at university and I got a good grade in his class. However, I never talked to him outside of class during that time and only talked to him again this past semester. Since they were somewhat important events for the academic department, I think he'll remember me in that environment, but not as a student in his class. I just graduated in May. Would it be weird to send him an email asking for a LOR? And if yes, how would you go about it?

In August I'll probably take a few college courses and am thinking about trying to wiggle a few LORs out of those professors. However, by the time I ask these new profs, it will only be about 2 months into their classes - so they'll hardly know me...

Thanks in advance.

Pufer

Re: Weird to ask this prof for a LOR?

Postby Pufer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 am

Writing LORs for folks they hardly know is part of the job description for being a prof. In the grand scheme of things, virtually nobody has ever known anyone that they have written a LOR for, and virtually every LOR that has ever been written has been pure, unadulterated bullshit. This is the way of things.

Even if this particular prof has missed the memo on all this, the worst thing he can do is turn you down when you ask him. In that case, you are entitled to steal one (but no more than one) potted plant from his office.

-Pufer

jetpack joe

Postby jetpack joe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:24 am

Pufer wrote:Even if this particular prof has missed the memo on all this, the worst thing he can do is turn you down when you ask him. In that case, you are entitled to steal one (but no more than one) potted plant from his office.

-Pufer

Agreed, nothing to lose by asking, and something to gain. No reason not to at least ask.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:47 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:Since they were somewhat important events for the academic department, I think he'll remember me in that environment, but not as a student in his class.

I think that will actually give the letter depth. Obviously, the letter should focus on your academic abilities. However, having another paragraph about his experience with you outside of the classroom will make it stand apart from all of the other LoRs that are essentially form letters about how awesome of a student ____________ is. It's a LoR, so it won't be huge, but every little bit helps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”