Opinions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
testadura

Opinions

Postby testadura » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:54 pm

I am entering my third year as an accounting major. I am interested in law school, and have close to two years left until I graduate. My university has a business law program. I am starting my first upper-division accounting class in the Fall, and would lose no time by switching to business law because they have the same core classes, the only difference is the sub-plan courses (accounting versus business law). Would it be beneficial to switch? Are there any accounting majors who can give me their experience on being an accounting major and applying to law school? Most people at my university who plan on going to law school are either political science, philosophy or business law. Does being an accounting major put me at a disadvantage? I'd like some opinions.

Thank you

JamMasterJ

Re: Opinions

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:27 pm

No, for the most part, your major doesn't matter. Do whichever you like more, especially if there's a possibility of changing your mind about law school.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:31 pm

You should graduate as accountant, work for an accounting firm doing taxes for a couple years, then go to law school and become a tax lawyer.
Better yet, switch to a science major and do IP.

Seriously- having a science background adds like a full point to your GPA and 7 tiers to your school rank

Momentum

Postby Momentum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 am

lawgod wrote:Seriously- having a science background adds like a full point to your GPA and 7 tiers to your school rank
Lol. Pretty sure that's a huge overstatement.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:16 am

Momentum wrote:
lawgod wrote:Seriously- having a science background adds like a full point to your GPA and 7 tiers to your school rank
Lol. Pretty sure that's bullshit.

Fixed

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:25 am

I think you should stay with accounting. Your UG major doesn't make a whole lot of difference and I think the accounting would make you more attractive to some firms that have clients in the financial/business world. I've actually had a practicing attorney tell me that he thinks a CPA\JD is the best combination a young lawyer could have right now. Plus, if you ever open your own small firm or something you could do people's taxes for some extra income.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm

emciosn wrote:I think you should stay with accounting. Your UG major doesn't make a whole lot of difference and I think the accounting would make you more attractive to some firms that have clients in the financial/business world. I've actually had a practicing attorney tell me that he thinks a CPA\JD is the best combination a young lawyer could have right now. Plus, if you ever open your own small firm or something you could do people's taxes for some extra income.

This is true. One of my former employers has a very successful small firm as a CPA/JD. He's completely autonomous and able to do a variety of things with his two licenses

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:00 pm

CPA requires w.e and like an extra year of academic hours or you can just do a Macc but if I were you I would work for a big four then go to law school...

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:20 pm

If you're deadset on law school, switch to whatever you can get the best grades in without adding time/debt. Otherwise, keep the accounting major. It's a good fallback if you decide law school's not for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”