NYU or Columbia for International Stuff Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sven

Bronze

NYU or Columbia for International Stuff

Post by sven » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm trying to figure out if the difference in employment outcomes between these two schools is great enough to justify an ED application to Columbia. I want to work on international trade (preferably for a firm in Europe or NY). According to the past two cycles on LSN, I have above an 80% shot at NYU and just about a 30-40% shot at Columbia RD. I do want a shot at Harvard and Stanford, but if Columbia is better than NYU for what I want to do, I'd consider EDing. If anyone here can offer any insight about the reputations or job outcomes for these schools with respect to international trade or transaction law, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

bp shinners

Gold

Re: NYU or Columbia for International Stuff

Post by bp shinners » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:40 pm

With the percentages posted (as opposed to numbers), I would think that HS might be a bit of a long shot. Based on what you said, I would apply ED to Columbia, but having your LSAT/GPA would make me feel more comfortable with that recommendation.

Retracted based on posted numbers.
Last edited by bp shinners on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:44 pm

sven wrote:I'm trying to figure out if the difference in employment outcomes between these two schools is great enough to justify an ED application to Columbia. I want to work on international trade (preferably for a firm in Europe or NY). According to the past two cycles on LSN, I have above an 80% shot at NYU and just about a 30-40% shot at Columbia RD. I do want a shot at Harvard and Stanford, but if Columbia is better than NYU for what I want to do, I'd consider EDing. If anyone here can offer any insight about the reputations or job outcomes for these schools with respect to international trade or transaction law, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Did I read right in another thread that you got rejected RD from Columbia this year? If so, ED may be your only way in. I think Columbia will help with London Biglaw more than NYU, although NYU may get you to other places through their duals. My gut says Columbia has a bit stronger international placement, but it would be interesting to hear the numbers. Certainly, if nothing else, Columbia's reputation abroad is a lot stronger than NYU's.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:52 pm

One thing about Columbia ED that is a little different than (I presume) the other top schools, once you are deferred (they rarely, if ever, reject anyone outright from ED), you've pretty much been given the kiss of death there. What is your LSAT?

sven

Bronze

Post by sven » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Just to clear things up, no I have not applied to any schools yet. My numbers are 168, 171 and 3.95. No shot at all at Harvard or Stanford?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:30 pm

sven wrote:Just to clear things up, no I have not applied to any schools yet. My numbers are 168, 171 and 3.95. No shot at all at Harvard or Stanford?
False. You definitely have a shot at both Harvard and Stanford. Not a lock at either, but you're GPA puts you in a very good position. Have you considered re-taking your LSAT?

sven

Bronze

Post by sven » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm

I think I underperformed (preptested at above 172-180) but I think that a 3rd test would hurt me more than help me. Plus, I'll likely be in at least one T6 in the worst case scenario anyway, so I don't think that retaking is too compelling...

sven

Bronze

Post by sven » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 am

If anybody else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

jbates14

New

Post by jbates14 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:19 am

If you think you underperformed, then why not give it another shot. A third score at 173+ would not hurt you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”