Will only know professor for 3h/week; enough for LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sighsigh

Will only know professor for 3h/week; enough for LOR?

Postby sighsigh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:45 pm

The class is small (15-20 students), seminar-type, and upper level in my major (philosophy). There should be plenty of discussion. This makes it a prime choice for me to ask the prof for an LOR. The thing is, it's only three hours a week, and it's a half-course which means it's only three months long. Is that enough time spent with the prof (assuming I do well in the class, contribute, etc.) to ask for an LOR?

I'm asking because my other LOR will be coming from a prof where've I've spent 10h/week for over a year working with.

Thanks.

EarlCat

Re: Will only know professor for 3h/week; enough for LOR?

Postby EarlCat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Not likely. Ideally you want a professor like you described spending 10h/week with, or one you've taken 2 or 3 classes with.

What is so great about getting this one's recommendation? Are there other opportunities to get to know this professor (like office hours)?

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for answering.

Well, yeah, I'm sure he will hold office hours. So I can see him then too, although that won't add much.

Nothing is special about the prof. I just need a 2nd reference, and all the small, discussion-based seminar courses (i.e. where I'm not in a sea of several hundred students - my university is a big one) are only a half-course (three months) long.

The other prof I'm doing research with. But I just don't know how else to get a second academic reference, because there aren't many ways to get to know professors intimately at this university. I'm def. not a gunner-type student who will make himself known to the prof in a course with several hundred students.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I knew my LOR professors for only about 2 months in 40-80 person classes. When I wanted the recommendation I just talked to them for about half an hour during office hours and they were happy to write it. Show up to class and act like you have a pulse and get good grades and you will get a suitable LOR.

FYI - My cycle turned out just like (and maybe slightly better than) my numbers would indicate

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”