Incorrect LSAC GPA Calculation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cogitoergosum

Incorrect LSAC GPA Calculation?

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 am

Using the LSAC GPA Calculator (here: http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/index.php), I came up with a fairly significant difference in GPA from what LSAC computed for me.

After looking into it further, it looks like one of the schools which appears on my Academic Summary Report was not factored into the GPA calculation. I say this because when I take the credits from that school off the GPA Calculator, I come up with the exact GPA given by LSAC.

Has anyone had an experience where a school appears on the Academic Summary Report, but is not factored into GPA calculations? Is there a chance that this is intentional/supposed to be the case? I have a rather complex Academic Summary Report (4 different UG schools), so I'm hoping this is a mistake, since it would represent a decent GPA boost if so.

scammedhard

Re: Incorrect LSAC GPA Calculation?

Postby scammedhard » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:26 am

Call LSAC. You will be better off asking them than fooling around in TLS.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:45 am

Yes, am definitely calling LSAC Monday, in the mean-time I'm a bit anxious, just curious if anyone has had a similar experience. If it is the case that all coursework appearing on the summary counts toward gpa, then I think there is a mistake.

I wonder though because the courses not included were taken online. Still an accredited school and everything though.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:00 pm

did you take classes after your first "earned" degree...

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:51 pm

No, I'm still completing my first earned degree.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:02 pm

I have a related question...

Is the cumulative GPA found on your academic summary report on the LSAC website the UGPA that will be sent to law schools? It's strange because my GPA is .05 higher than how I calculated it on TLS's GPA calculator. Not a big deal but I could see how it would make a difference if it was .05 the other way.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 am

LSAC does make GPA calculation mistakes--they miscalculated mine by about .08 or so (giving me a 3.80 instead of a 3.89). I believe they accidentally double-counted some of my credits. A phone call to LSAC was all it took to fix it, but it helps to catch it early.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:37 pm

So would it be correct to say that the GPA noted on the academic summary report has already been weighed by the LSAC scale and is the UGPA that law schools will see?

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:03 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:LSAC does make GPA calculation mistakes--they miscalculated mine by about .08 or so (giving me a 3.80 instead of a 3.89). I believe they accidentally double-counted some of my credits. A phone call to LSAC was all it took to fix it, but it helps to catch it early.

Okay, good to know. Thanks, I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”