Cal cc transfer, need some help!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
instra:mental

Cal cc transfer, need some help!

Postby instra:mental » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:34 am

I have completed one year at a California CC, and wish to transfer to either BYU or UC Berkeley (or elsewhere?) after I serve a two-year religious mission. I have a 4.0 transferable GPA, so hopefully getting in to either one won't be a problem. BYU is dirt cheap, and is a little more focused on UG than Cal is (also, I think it would be neat to study with people I have so much in common with at BYU- other than maybe some political beliefs haha) so I guess what my main question is, if your numbers are great, does it really matter where you go for UG? And if it does matter, where would you reccomend I go out of the two ( open to other suggestions, keep in mind I'm a CA resident and am paying for college myself) Oh, one last caveat to Cal is that I'd have to attend another painful year of community college after my mission, whereas I could drop straight into BYU with only a year's worth of credits.

Thanks so much!

P.s I'm aiming for t14. On a side note, will my CC attendance hurt my chances at t14s?

P.p.s please no Mormon doctrine rants, it seems to ALWAYS come up while discussing BYU. thanks again!

Rock-N-Roll

Re: Cal cc transfer, need some help!

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 am

Wait. I'm confused. Have you already taken the LSAT? If you are aiming for the t14 then why BYU?

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:51 am

I'm a BYU undergrad. I went to a T2 for my first year, and I transferred to a T10. I didn't do well on the LSAT, but I finished at the very top of my 1L class.

I would say go to BYU. As an LDS guy, you know that the advantages of going there are huge both for the family life and for your wallet. Just make sure that you rock your GPA during the next three years and that you get a stellar LSAT. (And most firms view the mission as solid work experience).

Most of the classmates at my T10 have ivy league type degrees. But I don't think that the degrees were required for the acceptance. It's most likely that they are smart, good test takers, and they did well on the SAT and the LSAT. But there are also a handful of students from less well-known schools. Really, I don't think that admissions cares too much about your UG. Even if they did, BYU has a solid reputation. What, the average GPA to get in is a 3.8-3.9 and an average ACT of 29?

And lastly if you want to know if you can do well with a BYU UG degree, check out Romney (well, we'll see...!!!)

Postby instra:mental » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:00 am

*recommend

Rocknroll: Sorry I wasn't very clear! I have only just completed my freshman year of UG at a community college. I'm asking for advice where to transfer to for UG. I want to go T14 for law school though.

Journeybound: Thanks much for your perspective! Good to hear from someone who has been down a similar path.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:22 am

Oh. In that case. This is only my own conjecture based on my own application to law school this year, but I don't believe that the undergrad institution or even your chosen major matters as much as your GPA. Granted, all things being equal, a Harvard 4.0 is probably more attractive to law schools than either a BYU or UC Berkeley 4.0, but I can't imagine admissions committees would split that hair between BYU and UC Berkeley.

If it were me, I would go to the school that would make me the happiest and thus give me the best chance to succeed.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Yeah, I think you'll have a better experience at BYU, so I would recommend going there. Going to UC Berkeley won't give you an appreciable bump when applying to law schools, and being more comfortable will mean less stress and an easier time maintaining your solid GPA. Do that, score well on the LSAT, and you're golden (even with a year of CC on your transcript, which isn't a big deal really).

Good luck!

Postby instra:mental » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Wisdom! Thanks so much! I like the idea that where I'm happiest will affect my performance, not the other way around.

Burn'em

Postby Burn'em » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 am

8)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”