Does not having a diversity statement hurt you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ignoramus

Does not having a diversity statement hurt you?

Postby ignoramus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 am

I don't come from a diverse ethnic background, my family is upper middle class-ish, and I don't come from a small town in the middle of nowhere.

So I really don't have a topic for a diversity statement.

I'm really ignorant (hence my username) on this sort of thing. Do most people that apply to law schools come up with some kind of diversity statement, or do only the applicants that truly have a good topic for a DS write one?

And if most people submit one, will it count against me to not have one?

AreJay711

Re: Does not having a diversity statement hurt you?

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:27 am

You are diverse, bro. Trust me.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:29 am

I had a diversity statement and I am certain it really helped me approximately .01%

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:34 am

I am a URM. My diversity came across in my P.S. so I did not do a D.S.

I got into several T14s and I will be attending a T14 with a small scholarship in the fall.

I don't think not having the D.S. hurt me.

ignoramus

Postby ignoramus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:53 am

shoeshine wrote:I am a URM. My diversity came across in my P.S. so I did not do a D.S.

I got into several T14s and I will be attending a T14 with a small scholarship in the fall.

I don't think not having the D.S. hurt me.

My PS won't really be talking about "diversity", but will be describing a challenge I was able to overcome. So it may not have hurt you to not have the DS, but that's because you talked about diversity in your PS. I'm wondering if it will hurt me to not really address diversity in my application at all. I mean, the only thing that makes me different from the typical white, middle-class, male is the "male" part. But writing a diversity statement about being a female just seems stupid.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:55 am

1. You're not diverse.

2. Lucky for you 90% of the other applicants aren't either.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 am

ignoramus wrote:writing a diversity statement about being a female just seems stupid.

I agree with this. ^^^

Don't focus on something you don't really have because it won't seem genuine. Not having a diversity statement will not harm your application. Making a D.S. that isn't really about diversity may hurt your application.

If you can't think of legitimate reason you are diverse I would not force it.

MRavvel

Postby MRavvel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 am

Are you URM?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:40 am

Most of the apps, I ignored the diversity statement; one seemed particularly clear that they would really really prefer one, so I wrote one (about being one of the things you said you weren't: a resident of a tiny little town where most people are farmers) and I don't think it helped or hurt. When it says "Optional" on a LS app, it usually means it. Some schools offer interviews as part of the process, and I can attest firsthand that one can choose to not interview and still get in with money.

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:31 am

You definitely do not want to repeat your personal statement, but why not take the opportunity to tell an admissions committee more about yourself? You do not need to focus on multicultural, religious, ethnic or socio-economic diversity to write this essay. Everyone has a complex and compelling story to tell, and the optional essay is another opportunity to persuade the admissions committee that you should be a part of the next entering class. Schools are looking for ideological diversity.

In the words of the Assistant Dean at Yale Law School:

Finally, I hope that the examples above make clear that we do have a very broad definition of "diversity" which we do consider in putting together our class. However, if you do choose to write a diversity essay, please, PLEASE try to be serious about it and make sure it is something that has truly shaped your experiences and perspective. Do NOT write a diversity statement on how you are "a good listener" or something similar. Seriously, that's just lame.

Hope this helps!.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”