How early is too early? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sc2012

New

How early is too early?

Post by sc2012 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:09 am

So I basically have everything I would need for my applications completed. Transcripts, PS, DS, LSAT score, LoR, etc. The only thing I need now is for the actual application to be released and I plan on sending it in as soon as possible. The question I have is how soon can I send in the applications and when do schools usually put out their applications for the upcoming cycles. Thanks.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Re: How early is too early?

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:35 am

Apps vary on the day they come up. Usually beginning to mid September. Feel free to send it in on the first day they're released, that's what I will be doing.

sc2012

New

Post by sc2012 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 am

Thanks, and I'll be with you sending them the day they're out. I want to maximize my acceptances and applying earlier definitely should help.

bos2clt

New

Post by bos2clt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 am

Is there any advantage to applying in September rather than early October? I would think that as long as you beat in anyone taking October LSAT, advantage is pretty comparable across those two months.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 am

bos2clt wrote:Is there any advantage to applying in September rather than early October? I would think that as long as you beat in anyone taking October LSAT, advantage is pretty comparable across those two months.
RU-N actually said they don't even look at applications until late October or the first part of November. They said their admissions committee is so burnt out from the previous cycle that they take a break. Is there any downside to turning apps in on day one? No, absolutely not. However, just bear in mind that some schools won't even look at them for a while and you shouldn't kill yourself or neglect other duties to get them done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 am

mrtoren wrote:
bos2clt wrote:Is there any advantage to applying in September rather than early October? I would think that as long as you beat in anyone taking October LSAT, advantage is pretty comparable across those two months.
RU-N actually said they don't even look at applications until late October or the first part of November. They said their admissions committee is so burnt out from the previous cycle that they take a break. Is there any downside to turning apps in on day one? No, absolutely not. However, just bear in mind that some schools won't even look at them for a while and you shouldn't kill yourself or neglect other duties to get them done.
While this is true, keep in mind that many schools review applications in the order they were received. So even though, if you submit 9/1, your app might not get reviewed until Thanksgiving, it will still be on top of the pile ahead of everyone who submitted after you, which is undoubtedly an advantage.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:19 am

Don't sit on your ass, even though you got a jump on the process you should probably continue to revise and refine your PS and DS until the applications open up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”