(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Colorado10

Postby Colorado10 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Last edited by Colorado10 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Re: Know Any Yale Auto-Admits?

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:39 pm

--ImageRemoved--

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 pm

yea, i was admitted in that batch. not a legacy per se, but my family is from connecticut and they've donated a large sum to Yale College. i turned it down, though. didn't get a good vibe from my visit, inter alia, plus the cold weather doesn't suit me.

Colorado10

Postby Colorado10 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Verity wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Okay, so besides those two, anyone else?

Colorado10

Postby Colorado10 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 pm

fatduck wrote:yea, i was admitted in that batch. not a legacy per se, but my family is from connecticut and they've donated a large sum to Yale College. i turned it down, though. didn't get a good vibe from my visit, inter alia, plus the cold weather doesn't suit me.

Can't put a price on comedy.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 pm

Colorado10 wrote:Yes, even someone with a 4.0/180 and a good resume has a good chance of being turned down by Yale.

But browsing the forums, it seems to be a fact that each year Yale admits at least 25% of the applicants as auto-admits, who receive their acceptance letters much earlier than the rest of the pack (whose applications are passed on to faculty reviews). So I was just wondering if anyone actually knew anyone who was an auto-admit at Yale, and perhaps know what may have enabled him/her to be an auto-admit. I'm guessing that there must be some sort of criteria for expediting the review process by several months for the auto-admits. Was it strong numbers? Legacies? Outstanding resume? Just pure genius?

Decent numbers, essays, and LORs + one or more of the following:
- Legacy and/or donor
- URM
- Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, or Fulbright scholarship

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:03 am

glewz wrote:
Colorado10 wrote:Yes, even someone with a 4.0/180 and a good resume has a good chance of being turned down by Yale.

But browsing the forums, it seems to be a fact that each year Yale admits at least 25% of the applicants as auto-admits, who receive their acceptance letters much earlier than the rest of the pack (whose applications are passed on to faculty reviews). So I was just wondering if anyone actually knew anyone who was an auto-admit at Yale, and perhaps know what may have enabled him/her to be an auto-admit. I'm guessing that there must be some sort of criteria for expediting the review process by several months for the auto-admits. Was it strong numbers? Legacies? Outstanding resume? Just pure genius?

- Legacy and/or donor
- URM

Maybe with a Rhodes, but a Fulbright isn't prestigious enough to warrant auto-in status at Yale

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:05 am

glewz wrote:

- Legacy and/or donor
- URM

I was admitted in the earliest batch of acceptances, and I'm far from qualifying for any of those three categories. It's probably a mistake to think admission to Yale requires any sort of extraordinary "X factor" outside the reach of all but a few freak/lucky applicants. If someone has the numbers and can craft an application that communicates their full range of talents (as a student or otherwise), then they have a shot to be an "auto-admit" at Yale.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:23 am

SullaFelix wrote:
glewz wrote:

- Legacy and/or donor
- URM

I was admitted in the earliest batch of acceptances, and I'm far from qualifying for any of those three categories. It's probably a mistake to think admission to Yale requires any sort of extraordinary "X factor" outside the reach of all but a few freak/lucky applicants. If someone has the numbers and can craft an application that communicates their full range of talents (as a student or otherwise), then they have a shot to be an "auto-admit" at Yale.

I'm not saying that any of those soft factors are required to be a Yale auto-admit, but I am saying that those admissions profiles would very likely be auto-admits. (I hope my post hasn't suggested the former) I certainly agree with you on your last point.

Colorado10

Postby Colorado10 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:37 pm

SullaFelix wrote:
glewz wrote:
Colorado10 wrote:

Hey SullaFelix,

thanks for the response (and congratulations!).

My assumption was that a significant number of students who apply have stellar GPA/LSAT along with strong LORs/resumes and that among these, a small percentage gets admitted as auto-admits without their application essays even being read by the faculties.

I was wondering what this small percentage of auto-admits had that 1) distinguished them (in the eyes of admissions officers) from the rest of the pack who, as you said, "can craft an application that communicates their full range of talents" and 2) convinced the admissions officers that they could gain entrance without the need to have their application essays read by faculties.

If you've had the chance to meet other auto-admits, did you notice any particular pattern?

But based on your response, it seems that there really isn't a particular criteria set for auto-admits...then I wonder how the admissions officers reach that conclusion so quickly.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:39 pm

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:09 pm

SullaFelix wrote:
glewz wrote:

- Legacy and/or donor
- URM

I totally agree. I was also admitted in the early batch last year, and although I am a URM, Rhodes/Marshall scholar my lsat was below median for Yale.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:55 pm

elmagic wrote:
SullaFelix wrote:
glewz wrote:

- Legacy and/or donor
- URM

I totally agree. I was also admitted in the early batch last year, and although I am a URM, Rhodes/Marshall scholar my lsat was below median for Yale.

You're a URM AND Rhodes/Marshall scholar?

MRavvel

Postby MRavvel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:55 pm

glewz wrote:

Why is that so hard to imagine?

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:56 pm

MRavvel wrote:
glewz wrote:

Because there aren't many of you, statistically speaking.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Curry wrote:
MRavvel wrote:
glewz wrote:

That, and while you did say that your LSAT was <median, you are an individual with the X Factor that SullaFelix was describing. So I wasn't really sure about what point you were making to OP.

MRavvel

Postby MRavvel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:46 pm

glewz wrote:
Curry wrote:
MRavvel wrote:
glewz wrote:

That, and while you did say that your LSAT was <median, you are an individual with the X Factor that SullaFelix was describing. So I wasn't really sure about what point you were making to OP.

--LinkRemoved--
There's a couple.

Not sure what you mean about my LSAT.

EDIT:
My question was inappropriate. My apologies
Last edited by MRavvel on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Colorado10 wrote:My assumption was that a significant number of students who apply have stellar GPA/LSAT along with strong LORs/resumes and that among these, a small percentage gets admitted as auto-admits without their application essays even being read by the faculties.

Highly doubt the bolded. Out of curiosity OP, are you thinking you might be an auto-admit at Yale? Although certain stellar stats and other qualifications probably can either almost or in fact make some one a shoe-in, I think that even the most qualified applicants would be somewhat presumptuous to count on admission to Yale or to claim they were 'auto-admitted' due to the timing of the acceptance. I think Yale not infrequently rejects 4.0/180s (though I imagine that most with those numbers do get in), and I suspect that some of the rejects may have some fairly stellar qualities besides the numbers.

From what I understand, although law admissions at every level is largely a numbers game, Yale does have an in-depth review process for all applications.

Colorado10

Postby Colorado10 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Colorado10 wrote:My assumption was that a significant number of students who apply have stellar GPA/LSAT along with strong LORs/resumes and that among these, a small percentage gets admitted as auto-admits without their application essays even being read by the faculties.

Highly doubt the bolded. Out of curiosity OP, are you thinking you might be an auto-admit at Yale? Although certain stellar stats and other qualifications probably can either almost or in fact make some one a shoe-in, I think that even the most qualified applicants would be somewhat presumptuous to count on admission to Yale or to claim they were 'auto-admitted' due to the timing of the acceptance. I think Yale not infrequently rejects 4.0/180s (though I imagine that most with those numbers do get in), and I suspect that some of the rejects may have some fairly stellar qualities besides the numbers.

From what I understand, although law admissions at every level is largely a numbers game, Yale does have an in-depth review process for all applications.

My GPA is several decimal points below Yale's median GPA, and I don't know what actual score I'll get on the LSAT (I won't even dare to speculate), and I don't have any outstanding extracurricular activities, so I don't even think I'll apply (and save $75). But I am interested in how top law schools in America pick its students, and how schools compete for rankings. I'm from a country where law degree used to be an undergraduate degree and bar exams were extremely difficult, so it's interesting to see how things are done here.

The part you bolded is an established fact I think...

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:05 am

MRavvel wrote:
glewz wrote:
Curry wrote:
MRavvel wrote:Why is that so hard to imagine?

--LinkRemoved--
There's a couple.

Not sure what you mean about my LSAT.

EDIT:
My question was inappropriate. My apologies

Oh, I think we have a misunderstanding here - I'm not challenging your URM Rhodes status at all. You agreed with a previous poster who wrote, "It's probably a mistake to think admission to Yale requires any sort of extraordinary "X factor" outside the reach of all but a few freak/lucky applicants."

I thought you were claiming that your candidate profile was in some way supporting the poster's position, and I was pointing out that you possessed one of those X Factors.

Long story short,... :? :?:

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:20 am

I recall some folks telling me last cycle I was an auto-admit, but I'm not really sure what that means. I think auto-admits are given a cursory review as compared to other students ("cursory" at least by YLS standards) and are accepted based on one or more factors the initial reviewer found unique and desirable.

For the record, my GPA and LSAT were both below median, and I was still an undergrad. I like to think my essays were well-written and my softs unique (not too many engineers even consider applying to Yale), but who knows. There's a reason YLS's admissions process is considered the blackest of all black boxes.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:21 am

Colorado10 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

My GPA is several decimal points below Yale's median GPA, and I don't know what actual score I'll get on the LSAT (I won't even dare to speculate), and I don't have any outstanding extracurricular activities, so I don't even think I'll apply (and save $75). But I am interested in how top law schools in America pick its students, and how schools compete for rankings. I'm from a country where law degree used to be an undergraduate degree and bar exams were extremely difficult, so it's interesting to see how things are done here.

The part you bolded is an established fact I think...

Where or how is it established that Yale doesn't read the essays of certain people? Just curious where you're getting this from. Even if someone is an 'auto-admit' in the sense that they are pretty much a shoe-in, I don't think that means their PS or 250 isn't read.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:08 am

fatduck wrote:yea, i was admitted in that batch. not a legacy per se, but my family is from connecticut and they've donated a large sum to Yale College. i turned it down, though. didn't get a good vibe from my visit, inter alia, plus the cold weather doesn't suit me.

You keep getting shittier and shittier.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:16 am

The Yale Law Admissions (203) blog and the TLS profile of Yale both discuss the school's admissions' practices. Dean of Admissions Asha Rangappa reads all applications and sorts them into one of three categories: those set aside as likely rejections, those for the faculty review, and those that are presumptive admits. If memory serves, presumptive admit files are sent to the Dean of Students for final approval. I think that about 60 students a year are marked as presumptive admits, but my memory is a bit hazy on this.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:21 am

Curry wrote:
MRavvel wrote:
glewz wrote:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”