Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 am

Currently have 165/2.97.

Grades are taking strong upward trajectory (4.0 last 3 semesters). GPA would be 3.11 in December with another 4.0 semester.

Retaking LSAT in Oct., anticipating significant LSAT boost (7+ points).

So do I apply early with 165/2.97 and ask them to hold until new LSAT & fall grades post, or do I wait until December and apply (hopefully) with 170s/3.11?

User avatar
Bobeo
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby Bobeo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 pm

I am interested in this as well. Very similar situation (3.1/166, expecting a 17x this October).

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:Currently have 165/2.97.

Grades are taking strong upward trajectory (4.0 last 3 semesters). GPA would be 3.11 in December with another 4.0 semester.

Retaking LSAT in Oct., anticipating significant LSAT boost (7+ points).

So do I apply early with 165/2.97 and ask them to hold until new LSAT & fall grades post, or do I wait until December and apply (hopefully) with 170s/3.11?

And what happened to November?

I think that it's OK to hold your apps if you take the Oct test and send your apps soon after the scores are posted. However, applying in Dec (or later) is a bit too late, and in that case I would suggest waiting until the next cycle.

EDIT: Don't hold your apps because of your grades. 3.0 or 3.1, they are going to be below the 25th percentile anyways, and that is what really matters because it affects what shows up on USNews.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Since your GPA is below 3.0, but expected to rise above that level soon, it's better to wait, in my opinion.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 pm

What schools are you looking at?

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby cogitoergosum » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 am

Real Madrid wrote:What schools are you looking at?

Have to stay in NY area, so looking at Rutgers Newark, Seton Hall, Dozo, Brooklyn... ehem... columbia and nyu. Realize last two are LONG shot with my GPA, but hoping if I KILL the LSAT in Oct, and if they take my upward trend and interesting WE into account I might at least get a look.

I feel like for Rutgers/Seton Hall the 2.97/3.11 might not make a difference, but just thinking about sending an app to Columbia or NYU with a 2.97 seems pretty lame.
Last edited by cogitoergosum on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby cogitoergosum » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 am

scammedhard wrote:And what happened to November?

In November I will have my new LSAT score, but NOT my new GPA numbers. So I suppose there is a middle road of applying in November with new LSAT score and old GPA. If I do that, do I ask them to hold until fall grades post?

If I can just vent for a second, I find LSAT's GPA computation very unfortunate and extremely frustrating. I haven't gotten anything below an A in 6 years. I screwed around in school 2003-2005 (when I was 18+19 years old), and now I'm on track to graduate summa cum laude, 4.0, from a T50 school, yet I'm damaged goods, and applying with a FREAKING 2.97!! There needs to be some sort of academic statute of limitations where previous work eventually comes to be overlooked. Otherwise, for myself and others like me, the GPA figure that is reported is actually quite misleading. And even though I can provide an addendum to clarify this for schools, their accepting me entails a strike on their GPA numbers, which nobody wants.

Totally sucks..

MRavvel
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby MRavvel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:05 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
scammedhard wrote:And what happened to November?

In November I will have my new LSAT score, but NOT my new GPA numbers. So I suppose there is a middle road of applying in November with new LSAT score and old GPA. If I do that, do I ask them to hold until fall grades post?

If I can just vent for a second, I find LSAT's GPA computation very unfortunate and extremely frustrating. I haven't gotten anything below an A in 6 years. I screwed around in school 2003-2005 (when I was 18+19 years old), and now I'm on track to graduate summa cum laude, 4.0, from a T50 school, yet I'm damaged goods, and applying with a FREAKING 2.97!! There needs to be some sort of academic statute of limitations where previous work eventually comes to be overlooked. Otherwise, for myself and others like me, the GPA figure that is reported is actually quite misleading. And even though I can provide an addendum to clarify this for schools, their accepting me entails a strike on their GPA numbers, which nobody wants.

Totally sucks..


Don't wait until December... wait until Fall 12 to apply if you want to take full advantage of the GPA you earned and apply early.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby cogitoergosum » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

Yeah, unfortunately waiting a year is not an option for me.

MRavvel
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby MRavvel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:51 am

cogitoergosum wrote:Yeah, unfortunately waiting a year is not an option for me.

Wait till December then. Better numbers are better numbers. You'll be at a slight disadvantage for applying late (even though it's not THAT late), but in a better position than if you had lower numbers and applied earlier.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Ask schools to hold apps or wait to submit?

Postby cogitoergosum » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 am

Think applying in December is better than sending apps in Nov. and asking schools to hold them until fall grades post? Do schools honor these requests?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zeglo and 9 guests