LOR requesting etiquette

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ohyouknow

LOR requesting etiquette

Postby ohyouknow » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 pm

I was dumb in undergrad and didn't get to know many professors. Now I'm struggling to get recommendations (as I'm sure a lot of people are). I have one academic rec submitted already and had zeroed in on another professor that I wanted to ask. She taught a small class in my major, with a lot of writing, in which I received an A.

I'm a year out of undergrad now, and back in about December I emailed that second professor asking for a recommendation. The response was

"Hi [my name]! Nice to hear about your post-graduation life. This is a hectic time, so can you send this message again after xmas, perhaps a week after?"

Since then, I've emailed her three times. Once I got an automatic response that she was out of the office, but the other two were completely ignored. Should I try calling? (bolded because its the real question I'm asking in this TL;DR post). Its possible she doesn't remember me, but I'm still in the same city as my undergrad and could meet with her and [hopefully] impress her if I could just get in contact with her. I'm struggling to think of other professors that could write me a recommendation, so I doubt anyone else would write me a better one. But maybe she's trying to send me a signal here that she doesn't want to write it?

I could easily get a work reference that I know would be good. That seems to be frowned upon.

I'm beating myself up for being stupid in undergrad and not getting to know more professors. Is it worth it to keep bothering this one professor for a LOR?

Now that I type this out it seems kind of a request for you to read my professor's mind. Still, I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

cinephile

Re: LOR requesting etiquette

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:47 pm

I think trying to meet in person would be the best way to go. It's possible she just got bogged down with other things and forgot to respond/forgot that you had discussed this before Christmas. One year out of undergrad isn't that long. When you meet in person, be sure to bring a writing sample from her class, resume, some sort of statement about why law, and the LSAC LOR form.

Get the work reference too.

swilson215

Re: LOR requesting etiquette

Postby swilson215 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:52 pm

ohyouknow wrote: Should I try calling? (bolded because its the real question I'm asking in this TL;DR post). Its possible she doesn't remember me, but I'm still in the same city as my undergrad and could meet with her and [hopefully] impress her if I could just get in contact with her. I'm struggling to think of other professors that could write me a recommendation, so I doubt anyone else would write me a better one. But maybe she's trying to send me a signal here that she doesn't want to write it?

You should definitely call. You probably should have called in February! Personally, I don't know your professor, but I had a similar situation happen, and I read too much into it, too. Professors get busy, and a lot of them are scatterbrained. Just stalk the potential LOR writer. To you it will seem like nagging, because it's all you're thinking about, but to them it's just a reminder.

Also, I would definitely set up a meeting to talk to her face-to-face. It will serve to jog her memory about exactly who you are and what her impressions of you were in her class. Take a copy of your PS and your resume to give to her so she can reference them when writing her LOR for you, just like cinephile suggested.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”