OSU v UNC for national reach

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

OSU or UNC

OSU
19%
UNC
81%

Total votes: 21

Zach0901

OSU v UNC for national reach

Postby Zach0901 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:33 am

So I know both these schools are considered regional schools but as someone who isnt sure where they would want to work long term I was wondering which of these schools is better at placing outside of their region, specifically in NY or CA. Thanks for the helping me further explore every possible outcome of my June LSAT results.

almightypush

Re: OSU v UNC for national reach

Postby almightypush » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:43 am

Zach0901 wrote:So I know both these schools are considered regional schools...

regional != national reach. hth.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 am

Do you have residency in either state? If so, go with that school. Don't expect to get to NY or CA, at least not for awhile.

Zach0901

Postby Zach0901 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 am

Zach0901 wrote:So I know both these schools are considered regional schools but as someone who isnt sure where they would want to work long term I was wondering which of these schools is better at placing outside of their region, specifically in NY or CA. Thanks for the helping me further explore every possible outcome of my June LSAT results.

Yes from Cleveland, not expecting NY or CA Ive just always thought itd be cool to work in both markets at some point.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 am

The correct answer us neither. If you want either of those markets go to a school that places there. You really should become sure about where you want to end up after graduation.

Zach0901

Postby Zach0901 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:35 am

bk1 wrote:The correct answer us neither. If you want either of those markets go to a school that places there. You really should become sure about where you want to end up after graduation.

Its not so much that I 'want' to be there as much as the idea intrigues me. I really have yet to decide and while I would like to follow your advice and become sure I feel like that decision is a little harder than sitting down and deciding. Im really asking which of these schools has a more 'mobile' diploma not which can place better in those markets, sorry for any confusion and thanks for the help

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:39 am

Zach0901 wrote:
bk1 wrote:The correct answer us neither. If you want either of those markets go to a school that places there. You really should become sure about where you want to end up after graduation.

Its not so much that I 'want' to be there as much as the idea intrigues me. I really have yet to decide and while I would like to follow your advice and become sure I feel like that decision is a little harder than sitting down and deciding. Im really asking which of these schools has a more 'mobile' diploma not which can place better in those markets, sorry for any confusion and thanks for the help

Well, your JD won't necessarily be very mobile from either of those schools unless you're at the very top of your class. For median students at UNC or OSU, you'll most like be in NC or OH or the general surrounding area.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Zach0901 wrote:Its not so much that I 'want' to be there as much as the idea intrigues me. I really have yet to decide and while I would like to follow your advice and become sure I feel like that decision is a little harder than sitting down and deciding. Im really asking which of these schools has a more 'mobile' diploma not which can place better in those markets, sorry for any confusion and thanks for the help

Neither will be better in those markets. The difference between them is marginal in that regard. You need to decide whether you would prefer to be in NC or OH after graduation.

I would imagine that if, at some point down the road, you did want to move to CA or NY then your ability to find a job there would have more to do with your job than whether you went to OSU or UNC.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:33 pm

everyone above is right but in terms of lay prestige (which means nothing), i'd say UNC.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Agree with the post above that suggests that you will need a high class rank in order to give significant mobility to a degree from either school. Law review should help.

Zach0901

Postby Zach0901 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks everyone, best of luck in terms of June test takers getting your results back!

veragood

Postby veragood » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 am

You don't want to live in Ohio. Ohio sucks.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 am

cinephile wrote:Do you have residency in either state? If so, go with that school. Don't expect to get to NY or CA, at least not for awhile.

You will have an equally difficult time getting to NY or CA from either school if you want to go immediately (particularly if you don't have any contacts in NY or CA). However, they're both "respectable" schools that won't hurt you down the line in those markets IF you have good experience directly after law school.

I can speak to OSU since that's where I'm heading in the fall and have thought about this a lot. It's a very regional school; most who go there these days stay in Ohio (pre-ITE, I've heard it had good placement in Chicago, but no more). However, OSU is the most prestigious school in a region with three secondary legal markets, and it's located in the most stable of those three (because Columbus is both the state capital and the city with more companies that have continued to do relatively well ITE). There are also a couple V100 firms with offices here, and even more NLJ250 firm offices. So, as far as regions go, Ohio (and particularly Columbus) is a pretty decent one. I contrast this with my home state of Indiana where there are two very good schools and a lot fewer "good" legal jobs.

I don't know about UNC. I think it probably has a little more lay prestige than OSU. I'm also not sure what types of jobs there are in North Carolina. My main concern would be the competition with Duke, but if there are more good jobs in NC overall, then that may be the way to go.

From what I've observed, the most common way to get to NY (and it's probably the same with CA) from a regional school is to a) do very well, b) get a job at a firm or company with national presence (for OSU, this would be like a Jones Day or Nationwide) and then use that to lateral to a similar position at a similar (or slightly less prestigious) firm or company in a bigger market.

gl, and maybe I'll see you in the fall. :)

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
veragood wrote:You don't want to live in Ohio. Ohio sucks.

Columbus is............................all right.

C'mon now, Columbus is nice.

OP, OSU certainly isn't the place to come for NY or CA. We have exactly one NY firm coming to OCI, with maybe another four or five actively looking at OCI resumes via this National Consortium of public law schools we participate in (but you're competing with nine other similarly ranked law schools).

I can't speak for UNC, but OSU places in Ohio and the surrounding area for the most part. If it's between the two of those schools, the correct answer is go where it's cheapest. The options from one is not worth spending much more than what it would cost to go to the other.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”