How to explain summer gaps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fixxion

How to explain summer gaps

Postby fixxion » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Hello, I have a couple of years worth of gaps in my summer employment history due to playing poker professionally. Should I include poker in my resume or leave it out? Would an addendum focusing on the skills I learned from poker be my best bet?

I have always been a full time student and my work experience has come solely from the gap between spring-fall semester.

bp shinners

Re: How to explain summer gaps

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:53 am

Gaps between years of college? That won't be a big deal. The interesting essay you can write about playing poker professionally more than makes up for not working a traditional job over the summer.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:56 am

It's been discussed ad infinitum at 2p2, don't put poker on your resume unless you absolutely have to.. there is a ton of anecdotal evidence that says it often hurts and rarely helps.

[/supbro]

fixxion

Postby fixxion » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:59 am

So keep it off of my resume and no addendum either? After black Monday I know an even more negative light has been cast on the online poker world so I have been leaning towards not mentioning it.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:03 am

Can't have been that bad for you if you remember it being a Monday :wink:

If it's simply what you did over the summer in between years of undergrad and not what you did as a job for years post-college I would definitely leave it off altogether. You and I both understand what the general stigma still is about it, no matter how many times we explain the difference between grinding and martingaling roulette. It's viewed as a liability. I don't even list it as an interest anymore.

If you were fortunate enough to travel because of it as well (think PCA, WSOP, whatever) then you can always just talk about using that time to travel.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:24 am

What does the 87 crash have to do with poker.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:What does the 87 crash have to do with poker.

the fbi seized a bunch of poker domains recently

on a monday i guess

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:32 am

It's known as Black Friday..not Monday. I think that was a joke or something because no professional player with thousands of dollars locked on FTP would get it wrong.

Also, although it may be tempting to continue playing on Carbon Poker, I would recommend Bodog if you prefer speedy cashouts and non-bouncing checks.

fixxion

Postby fixxion » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:14 am

It was a joke referring to black Friday. I was one of the lucky ones and had my entire roll of ps. Im hoping everyone over at FT gets their money soon. (50/50?) The Merge network is starting to pick up a bit but it is going to be awhile before we get even remotely close to how it was.

fixxion

Postby fixxion » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 am

minnesotasam thanks for the idea. I guess I can use the traveling and life experience idea to explain my one year transfer to UNLV lol

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:20 am

fixxion wrote:It was a joke referring to black Friday. I was one of the lucky ones and had my entire roll of ps. Im hoping everyone over at FT gets their money soon. (50/50?) The Merge network is starting to pick up a bit but it is going to be awhile before we get even remotely close to how it was.

FT money has been selling for .40 on on the dollar lately. Not looking good for those w/ $$ locked up on FT.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 pm

That price has to be low, wish I was more liquid. Wait I know! I'll just cash out what I have and then.. oh wait.. right.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:50 pm

is the poker-nono advice only for the employment section, or should poker not even go on the hobbies/interests section?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:58 pm

englawyer wrote:is the poker-nono advice only for the employment section, or should poker not even go on the hobbies/interests section?

I see no reason why it couldn't go there. The reason people say no to putting it on employment is because you are doing something that the government is trying to make fully illegal (internet gambling). If you actually did it in NV or as just a hobby, there is nothing wrong with that imo.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:01 pm

My interpretation from sporadic discussions over the last few years is that it's ok in hobbies/interests if you really want it. In my case I didn't (and don't) feel like it adds anything of worth and might be a bit of a reverse freeroll, so I leave it off.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
englawyer wrote:is the poker-nono advice only for the employment section, or should poker not even go on the hobbies/interests section?

I see no reason why it couldn't go there. The reason people say no to putting it on employment is because you are doing something that the government is trying to make fully illegal (internet gambling). If you actually did it in NV or as just a hobby, there is nothing wrong with that imo.

I actually disagree quite a bit. For one, the government never has made the act of gambling online illegal and there is no noise that anyone is trying to do so. The UIGEA made interactions between gaming sites and financial institutions illegal, it never discussed players. The reason that people typically cite when omitting poker experience is the societal stigma attached to being a gambler, mainly an inappropriately low aversion to risk, volatile personality, and possible addiction.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:17 pm

minnesotasam wrote:I actually disagree quite a bit. For one, the government never has made the act of gambling online illegal and there is no noise that anyone is trying to do so. The UIGEA made interactions between gaming sites and financial institutions illegal, it never discussed players. The reason that people typically cite when omitting poker experience is the societal stigma attached to being a gambler, mainly an inappropriately low aversion to risk, volatile personality, and possible addiction.

Fair enough. Since you've paid more attention then I'd assume this is closer to the truth than what I said. The question then goes back to what englawyer said, would it be okay in an "Interests" section of a law school app? I guess what I would say is that it is low risk but there really is no benefit to doing it so why bother putting something that could be potentially harmful.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:19 pm

I think it's ok there, but what you said about risk/reward is the stance I've taken and it's the one I'd recommend.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Online poker players have a reputation for being slacker losers. I wouldn't put that shit on my resume. You might as well put SC2 Clan leader on there.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Online poker players have a reputation for being slacker losers. I wouldn't put that shit on my resume. You might as well put SC2 Clan leader on there.

What about MMORPG guild leader? It shows I've had the ability to manage 40+ people doing highly complex tasks for hours on end!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Online poker players have a reputation for being slacker losers. I wouldn't put that shit on my resume. You might as well put SC2 Clan leader on there.

lol good point. i didn't mean to say online poker player or anything like that..more like i host a poker game at my place about once a month. but i guess that could still imply some negative characteristics so why even bother.

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:38 pm

This is true but still, should probly gtfo.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:39 pm

tyro wrote:

This is true but still, gtfo now.

Who the fuck are you, motherfucker?

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:50 pm

bjsesq wrote:
tyro wrote:

This is true but still, gtfo now.

Who the fuck are you, motherfucker?

Good point but damn, some trolling itt.

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:57 pm

fwiw though I wouldn't put it anywhere on my resume just because it's still a form of gambling and a lot of people will put online poker winners in the same category as slot machine or bingo winners.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”