LSDAS GPA and High School College Courses

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greentea3

LSDAS GPA and High School College Courses

Postby greentea3 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:14 pm

I've read on these forums that all classes taken for college credit count towards the GPA reported for law school - even college courses taken in high school are factored into the adjusted LSDAS GPA, regardless of whether or not one actually receives credit for them when enrolling in actual college. This includes dual-credit courses and classes taken at a local CC.

The problem with this is that most people in high school, including myself, didn't realize these things would haunt us 4-5 years down the line. I automatically assumed that nothing from high school mattered after high school, just as nothing in middle school mattered after middle school. Some people took college courses for fun or to challenge themselves. Some people thought it would look good for college admissions, which it does. And then some people, like me, had no choice in the matter because our high schools required us to.

It just seems unjust because at the time, we were young, and no one told us there would be such severe consequences if we didn't do well; they just encouraged us to take the challenge. Heck, I didn't even know I wanted to go to law school back then, and now my GPA's going to go down .16 because of it. That doesn't seem like much until you realize how numbers-based law school admissions are.

Anyhow, I didn't just come here to whine and rant lol. I was wondering, is there any chance this rule will ever be changed? I don't know about the rest of you, but I still have a year or 2 left (depending on whether or not I decide to take some work experience) before I apply. I doubt anything will change by then, so it probably wouldn't even affect me or most of you guys, but would any of you be interested in signing a petition to the LSAC even?

Wade LeBosh

Re: LSDAS GPA and High School College Courses

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:23 pm

greentea3 wrote:I've read on these forums that all classes taken for college credit count towards the GPA reported for law school - even college courses taken in high school are factored into the adjusted LSDAS GPA, regardless of whether or not one actually receives credit for them when enrolling in actual college. This includes dual-credit courses and classes taken at a local CC.

The problem with this is that most people in high school, including myself, didn't realize these things would haunt us 4-5 years down the line. I automatically assumed that nothing from high school mattered after high school, just as nothing in middle school mattered after middle school. Some people took college courses for fun or to challenge themselves. Some people thought it would look good for college admissions, which it does. And then some people, like me, had no choice in the matter because our high schools required us to.

It just seems unjust because at the time, we were young, and no one told us there would be such severe consequences if we didn't do well; they just encouraged us to take the challenge. Heck, I didn't even know I wanted to go to law school back then, and now my GPA's going to go down .16 because of it. That doesn't seem like much until you realize how numbers-based law school admissions are.

Anyhow, I didn't just come here to whine and rant lol. I was wondering, is there any chance this rule will ever be changed? I don't know about the rest of you, but I still have a year or 2 left (depending on whether or not I decide to take some work experience) before I apply. I doubt anything will change by then, so it probably wouldn't even affect me or most of you guys, but would any of you be interested in signing a petition to the LSAC even?

Just get straight As next year and suck it up. If they didn't count your college classes taken during high school, then they couldn't count anyones college courses taken during high school. That wouldn't be very fair. Actions have consequences yadda yadda yadda.

BTW, I wish you good luck petitioning the LSAC sir.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 pm

You were practically an adult in high school. I don't care what people say, a 17/18 year old is old enough to make his/her decision.

Be responsible for your actions. You're not a little kid anymore.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:45 pm

You weren't five years old, you were IN HIGH SCHOOL. If it didn't occur to you that COLLEGE CLASSES might actually count somewhere down the line, you deserve every crappy grade you got.

Plenty of us got good grades in those classes back in HS. We deserve the GPA boost we got from them, and you deserve the GPA hit. Own your bad decisions, dude. Weaseling is unattractive.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:16 pm

:twisted: You could just not send LSAC the high school transcript and then apply anyway. :twisted: If you do that, please let me know how it turns out.

EDIT:

I'm not suggesting you do that btw, it's wrong and huge a risk in the long run.

greentea3

Postby greentea3 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 pm

^I can't just do that...the LSAC uses this thing, I don't remember what it's called, but it shows every college you ever enrolled in.

I didn't expect such a negative response lol. From the threads I read, most people seemed to be against high school classes counting.

Also, I was actually only 15 years old when I started taking them, and no, I wasn't a little kid back then but most people don't know what they want to be when they're 15, and they certainly don't know what steps they need to take to get there (ie. get straight A's in advanced differential equations while most other teenagers are still taking high school geometry). In my case, I didn't exactly do horrendously in those classes - it was simply because I had to take a very significant number in order to graduate (so my high school stuff is weighted more than most people's), and my GPA for those was low but only by law school standards.

It just seems absurd to me that something so long ago should still haunt me 8 years down the road. Of course, you guys deserve to be rewarded for doing so well, but were you aware when you were in high school that those classes would affect you for LS admissions? Or was it more of a surprise later on when you were about to apply, like, "Oh cool, my LSDAS GPA got a boost!"

oshik87

Postby oshik87 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 pm

greentea3 wrote:^I can't just do that...the LSAC uses this thing, I don't remember what it's called, but it shows every college you ever enrolled in.

I didn't expect such a negative response lol. From the threads I read, most people seemed to be against high school classes counting.

Also, I was actually only 15 years old when I started taking them, and no, I wasn't a little kid back then but most people don't know what they want to be when they're 15, and they certainly don't know what steps they need to take to get there (ie. get straight A's in advanced differential equations while most other teenagers are still taking high school geometry). In my case, I didn't exactly do horrendously in those classes - it was simply because I had to take a very significant number in order to graduate (so my high school stuff is weighted more than most people's), and my GPA for those was low but only by law school standards.

It just seems absurd to me that something so long ago should still haunt me 8 years down the road. Of course, you guys deserve to be rewarded for doing so well, but were you aware when you were in high school that those classes would affect you for LS admissions? Or was it more of a surprise later on when you were about to apply, like, "Oh cool, my LSDAS GPA got a boost!"

+1. What a stupid practice this is. I doubt at 15 or 17 or 18 anyone told you you would have to report this score to LSAC once you apply in like 8 years.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:23 pm

oshik87 wrote:
greentea3 wrote:^I can't just do that...the LSAC uses this thing, I don't remember what it's called, but it shows every college you ever enrolled in.

+1. What a stupid practice this is. I doubt at 15 or 17 or 18 anyone told you you would have to report this score to LSAC once you apply in like 8 years.

Whether or not a high schooler is likely to know the ins and outs of law school applications, they're old enough to know that college classes are probably somewhat important and grades might matter for whatever amorphous future plans they might have.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:26 pm

No one here has any idea if the policy will change soon, so all we can do is speculate. My speculation: don't hold your breath.

As for the rest of the post, write about it in your LiveJournal.

oshik87

Postby oshik87 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
oshik87 wrote:

Whether or not a high schooler is likely to know the ins and outs of law school applications, they're old enough to know that college classes are probably somewhat important and grades might matter for whatever amorphous future plans they might have.

I'm sure they knew their classes were important, but that doesn't mean they were developed or smart enough to succeed in them. I also think colleges/high schools/parents pressure high schoolers to take on massive loads of college-level coursework because that'll supposedly give them a "leg up" on admissions without the kids really understanding the sometimes rigorous level of analysis required for some of these classes.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:37 pm

Are we really acting like there is a huge difference between a CC class my senior year of HS and a 100 level class 6 months later?

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 am

At my school the 100 level classes are upper division. But maybe that says more about my school than anything else.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:06 am

While I can sympathize with your situation, I don't think LSAC is going to change that rule anytime soon, if ever. Many people would probably be pissed that did do well during HS.

Besides, there's a lot of things that LSAC doesn't account for such such major difficulty, school difficulty, schools that don't offer A+, and LSAC counts a fail in a no-credit class as a 0.0 but a pass is not factored in.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”