(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gecko of Doom

Re: 10 years from now, will Yale still be #1?

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 am

bgdddymtty wrote:Also, as I stated before, the question of which is the best law school in the country depends greatly on the question of what makes a law school good. Given that a JD is a professional degree, I submit that a significant factor in that analysis ought to be how well the school prepares its students to practice law.

Or the quality of the jobs its graduates get. I mean, it's not like half of the Supreme Court went to Yale or anything...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:31 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Also, as I stated before, the question of which is the best law school in the country depends greatly on the question of what makes a law school good. Given that a JD is a professional degree, I submit that a significant factor in that analysis ought to be how well the school prepares its students to practice law.

Or the quality of the jobs its graduates get. I mean, it's not like half of the Supreme Court went to Yale or anything...

I think the VAST majority of people going to professional schools rank them on the ability to get jobs, not how good the education actually is. I don't care what I learn, I care about where I can go.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:13 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

I think the VAST majority of people going to professional schools rank them on the ability to get jobs, not how good the education actually is. I don't care what I learn, I care about where I can go.

Yeah, the most important thing about educational quality is the outside perception of educational quality.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:40 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

Yeah, the most important thing about educational quality is the outside perception of educational quality.

Practically no professional programs teach anything that will help you in the work force anyways.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Practically no professional programs teach anything that will help you in the work force anyways.
Um...
Medicine
Dentistry
Nursing
Optometry
Accounting
Architecture
Engineering
Physical Therapy

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Practically no professional programs teach anything that will help you in the work force anyways.
Um...
Medicine
Dentistry
Nursing
Optometry
Accounting
Architecture
Engineering
Physical Therapy

Sorry for my use of hyperbole. The point being that a large number of post graduate and professional programs are close to useless as far as material taught. And even in the programs you mentioned, much of the material won't be relevant to the individuals. Some will, some won't.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Um...
Medicine
Dentistry
Nursing
Optometry
Accounting
Architecture
Engineering
Physical Therapy

I feel that law schools are unique from other professional schools in that law schools teach you a method of thinking as opposed to a practical trade. My understanding is that most practical law is learnt on the job as an associate. The theoretical aspect is what is supposed to be explored in law school and Yale is an obvious choice for that. Yale is superior choice because their small class sizes, gifted student body, and great faculty facilitate exploration. Unless that changes, Yale will be #1.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:19 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Before you go tearing into the methodology of the above study, realize that I'm not saying that Yale is the 39th-best law school in the country. But it isn't necessarily the best, either, and the fact that "everyone" believes that it is is due mostly to the fact that a supposed authority on the subject keeps saying so over and over again.

It's reasonable that the USNWR rankings reinforce hierarchies, but to argue that the rankings themselves determine hierarchies is a stretch. Do you really think that the rankings influence school perception more than school perception influences the rankings? It's a two-way street, to some extent, but to say the former is what's "mostly" responsible for the way we look at schools doesn't seem right. Everyone thinks Yale is number one because it has the highest yield rate, highest selectivity, highest student numerical quality, and, per capita, bests other schools' placement in pretty much everything. This was true before the USNWR rankings ever existed.

Yale is not the top school because the USNWR says it is. The USNWR says it is because Yale is the top school.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:29 pm

No. Eventually USNWR will recognize the profit potential that an "upset" could create.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm

mrman17 wrote:No. Eventually USNWR will recognize the profit potential that an "upset" could create.

This.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 pm

notanumber wrote:
mrman17 wrote:No. Eventually USNWR will recognize the profit potential that an "upset" could create.

This.

Disagree. Everyone "knows" Yale is the best. Devalue their brand like that? Why kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 pm

ahduth wrote:
notanumber wrote:

This.

Disagree. Everyone "knows" Yale is the best. Devalue their brand like that? Why kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

To have an even bigger upset by having Yale return to #1 a year later and reclaim the throne. Everybody loves a comeback.

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 pm

M, V, and P will bring their talents to South Beach to form the University of MVP. They will surely overtake Yale and create a new dynasty.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Deep Trench wrote:M, V, and P will bring their talents to South Beach to form the University of MVP. They will surely overtake Yale and create a new dynasty.
This South Beach native approves:
--ImageRemoved--

PhilEconCS

Postby PhilEconCS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Colorado10 wrote:I'm asking this in light of NYU's recent drop in ranking to #6. I may be wrong, but I thought NYU was once in the top 3~4 range about a decade ago. So given how schools can really climb the ladder if they tried -- or fall if they dont -- do you think in 5, 10, or 20 years, the top 3 can swap spots with each other?

Um, NYU's current ranking and reputation is better than it ever has been (right now wavering around 5/6 on US News). In fact, if you ask lawyers of an older generation they'll remark their surprise at how much better NYU's rep is now than it was a decade ago. I don't think NYU Law has ever been top 3/4 since that would mean it would be ranked ahead of Columbia and that hasn't happened yet, so far.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 pm

PhilEconCS wrote:
Colorado10 wrote:I'm asking this in light of NYU's recent drop in ranking to #6. I may be wrong, but I thought NYU was once in the top 3~4 range about a decade ago. So given how schools can really climb the ladder if they tried -- or fall if they dont -- do you think in 5, 10, or 20 years, the top 3 can swap spots with each other?

Um, NYU's current ranking and reputation is better than it ever has been (right now wavering around 5/6 on US News). In fact, if you ask lawyers of an older generation they'll remark their surprise at how much better NYU's rep is now than it was a decade ago. I don't think NYU Law has ever been top 3/4 since that would mean it would be ranked ahead of Columbia and that hasn't happened yet, so far.

Wasn't it fourth just a few years ago?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:40 pm

ahduth wrote:
PhilEconCS wrote:

NYU was #4 in 1999, 2000, 2006, and 2007

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:54 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
ahduth wrote:
PhilEconCS wrote:

NYU was #4 in 1999, 2000, 2006, and 2007

Y>H>S>everything else who cares

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:Y>H>S>everything else who cares

Naw S>H.

And that's your contribution? Really?

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 pm

ahduth wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:Y>H>S>everything else who cares

Naw S>H.

And that's your contribution? Really?

It's called a joke :roll:
I forgot that sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.
Besides, I'm free to voice my opinion.

EDIT:
"Naw" isn't much of a refute to what I said btw.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:11 am

Wade LeBosh wrote:"Naw" isn't much of a refute to what I said btw.

Over time, you'll find that quietly dismissing people without arguing with them is one of your most effective ways of dealing with some people.

"Naw" is perhaps just my simplistic way of doing that.

edit: Ya, sarcasm fails on the internet, I wouldn't let it get you down. Really wouldn't worry about getting trolled more generally, it's good for the TLS ecosystem.

veragood

Postby veragood » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 am

I approve of the USNews conspiracy theory that they'll drop Yale to #2 and then bring them back the next year all in a clever ploy to increase sales.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 am

veragood wrote:I approve of the USNews conspiracy theory that they'll drop Yale to #2 and then bring them back the next year all in a clever ploy to increase sales.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:25 am

veragood wrote:I approve of the USNews conspiracy theory that they'll drop Yale to #2 and then bring them back the next year all in a clever ploy to increase sales.

Like anyone actually buys a copy of USNews.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”