Great Books to Read Before Heading to Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Verity

Silver

Re: Great Books to Read Before Heading to Law School

Post by Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 pm

fatduck wrote:
Verity wrote:
WayBryson wrote:If you like The Fountainhead, then Atlas Shrugged is well worth reading. She basically lays out her whole political philosophy in Atlas Shrugged, which makes it the more profound book. Nonetheless, I still prefer The Fountainhead.
AR was a downright lousy writer, a lousy philosopher, a wimp, a fatty, and a nympho. Probably also a Fembot.
you forgot communist
She wasn't a communist, she was a capitalist in the most extreme sense. But she did have that kind of sadistic agenda that reminds one of communism.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 pm

A couple more suggestions...not so much law-related but still very good. "A Problem from Hell" by Samantha Power (<3), and "The Lucifer Effect" by Phillip Zimbardo.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Verity wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Verity wrote:
WayBryson wrote:If you like The Fountainhead, then Atlas Shrugged is well worth reading. She basically lays out her whole political philosophy in Atlas Shrugged, which makes it the more profound book. Nonetheless, I still prefer The Fountainhead.
AR was a downright lousy writer, a lousy philosopher, a wimp, a fatty, and a nympho. Probably also a Fembot.
you forgot communist
She wasn't a communist, she was a capitalist in the most extreme sense. But she did have that kind of sadistic agenda that reminds one of communism.
there was a joke here, but...ah, fuck it.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:22 pm

thecilent wrote:smh at no DFW itt
Been meaning to read Infinite Jest but haven't gotten around to purchasing that monstrosity

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:23 pm

vpintz wrote:A couple more suggestions...not so much law-related but still very good. "A Problem from Hell" by Samantha Power (<3), and "The Lucifer Effect" by Phillip Zimbardo.
Just brought the Lucifer Effect to work because I don't have shit to do. I started reading it at the start of the summer but it kind of fell to the wayside. Only 100 pages in, but it's interesting as hell (no pun intended)

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Been meaning to read Infinite Jest but haven't gotten around to purchasing that monstrosity
What the f is up with all these DFW fans on TLS? I'm starting to get chary of DFW just for his association with quakeroats.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Verity wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
What the f is up with all these DFW fans on TLS? I'm starting to get chary of DFW just for his association with quakeroats.
I've only read a couple of his essays, but no books. I've heard Infinite Jest is great, though an undertaking to read.

I was also particularly struck by the commencement speech he gave in 2008. It's worth a read: http://moreintelligentlife.com/story/da ... -own-words

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

driftwood6

New

Post by driftwood6 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Verity wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Verity wrote:
you forgot communist
one can only hope you're not that obtuse.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:44 pm

driftwood6 wrote:one can only hope you're not that obtuse.
Still don't get why FD's post was funny to begin with.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Dfw was an absolute genius. His essays are all amazing.

And yeah, I've been meaning to read IJ for a bout two years now lol it's very difficult

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:33 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Verity wrote:+1000. People who read Ayn Rand and like it are...I can't find the word, but it's bad. Who has time for 1000+ pages of bullshyt?
Clarence Thomas and Paul Ryan. They both make their clerks/interns read this book (or maybe it was The Fountainhead (I saw the movie of that one, and the basic idea is that the masses hold back the elite and keep them from realizing their potential)).

edit: if you wanna read something long, I just started Anna Karenina (Maude translation) and it's pretty good. I think I'll try War and Peace soon enough (definitely going to get the Maude translation)
False. Pevear and Volokhonsky translation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Campagnolo wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Verity wrote:+1000. People who read Ayn Rand and like it are...I can't find the word, but it's bad. Who has time for 1000+ pages of bullshyt?
Clarence Thomas and Paul Ryan. They both make their clerks/interns read this book (or maybe it was The Fountainhead (I saw the movie of that one, and the basic idea is that the masses hold back the elite and keep them from realizing their potential)).

edit: if you wanna read something long, I just started Anna Karenina (Maude translation) and it's pretty good. I think I'll try War and Peace soon enough (definitely going to get the Maude translation)
Yeah looking around it seems the Maudes and those guys made the best english translations around. I can only say that the Maude translation of Karenina reads very well.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:07 pm

DFW is the most overrated garbage I've ever read, ineptly used as an inaccurate signaling device between faux-intellectuals.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:DFW is the most overrated garbage I've ever read, ineptly used as an inaccurate signaling device between faux-intellectuals.
I'm not a head-over-heels DFW fan, but he's not that bad.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:DFW is the most overrated garbage I've ever read, ineptly used as an inaccurate signaling device between faux-intellectuals.
The footnotes in Infinite Jest are so fucking unnecessary and obviously an attempt at flaunting the ol intellect. No wonder quakeroats loves him so much.

Not all DFW's shit is bad, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Yeah looking around it seems the Maudes and those guys made the best english translations around. I can only say that the Maude translation of Karenina reads very well.
The bolded is usually telling of a bad translation.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

bjsesq wrote:
The footnotes in Infinite Jest are so fucking unnecessary and obviously an attempt at flaunting the ol intellect. No wonder quakeroats loves him so much.

Not all DFW's shit is bad, though.
quakeroats has a major DFW jones.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Verity wrote:
I'm not a head-over-heels DFW fan, but he's not that bad.
Not saying he's bad; he's actually a decent read. Just that the masturbatory praise heaped upon him by self-professed book snobs is painful to behold.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Jfc. If you don't think dfw is one of the most talented writers EVER, you are an idiot. I'm sorry: I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's the truth.

And the footnotes unnecessary? That doesn't even make sense. You have to understand dfw and the way he thinks and writes to really appreciate the footnotes

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:18 pm

thecilent wrote:Jfc. If you don't think dfw is one of the most talented writers EVER, you are an idiot. I'm sorry: I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's the truth.

And the footnotes unnecessary? That doesn't even make sense. You have to understand dfw and the way he thinks and writes to really appreciate the footnotes
You're one of the people I was talking about and this post confirms it. hth

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm

thecilent wrote:And the footnotes unnecessary? That doesn't even make sense. You have to understand dfw and the way he thinks and writes to really appreciate the footnotes
Yup. I just don't "get it." How hipster.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 pm

bjsesq wrote:
thecilent wrote:And the footnotes unnecessary? That doesn't even make sense. You have to understand dfw and the way he thinks and writes to really appreciate the footnotes
Well the fact you said it's an attemp to flaunt intellect really does mean you don't get it

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 pm

thecilent wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Well the fact you said it's an attemp to flaunt intellect really does mean you don't get it
Yup. Really.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”