Grade trends and soft factors? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
three

New

Grade trends and soft factors?

Post by three » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:22 am

Hey all,

I have a feeling that questions like this hHey all,

I have a feeling that questions like this have been asked before on numerous occasions, but a quick search didn't tell me much about my own specific situation. I'll be an undergrad junior next fall quarter, and as of right now I’ve sort of got my sights set on law school

My gpa right now is at a 3.2. my average GPA for my first year and the first quarter of my sophomore year was around a 2.9. My dad killed himself a couple days before I started at university, and it impacted me a lot. I shuttled back and forth between school and home constantly in order to go see him at the hospital (deep coma for about a year), and look after my family. I also wasn’t doing too well myself, mentally… I’ve been able to turn things around somewhat; for the past 3 quarters I’ve averaged a 3.7. I’m confident that I can maintain that for the rest of undergrad…will admissions officers take note? If I do maintain that 3.7, it’ll put me at around 3.4-3.5 overall…will I still have a shot at getting into a top tier?

Again, sorry if this topic has been done to death..just can’t help but be a little anxious about the future. Scary thinking about it! Thanks for all the help in advance.
ave been asked before on numerous occasions, but a quick search didn't tell me much about my own specific situation. I'll be an undergrad junior next fall quarter, and I'm still exploring my options for the future. bnbnmnmn

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: Grade trends and soft factors?

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:36 am

What would you define as top tier? What specific schools do you haver in mind? Also, I understand it was years ago, but I am sorry to hear about father. I can't fathom how difficult that must have been.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:27 am

I don't think anyone is going to be able to predict exactly how that will impact your admissions, especially since it's so subjective and could affect different adcoms differently. Did you take the LSAT though? I don't see a score. Graduating with a 3.5ish GPA your chances are going to vary DRASTICALLY based on your LSAT.

When the time comes to apply you can write an "addendum" about your experience with your dad and your resulting grade drop -- it's rare than I hear a story that sounds worthy of one, but that does.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:43 am

If ever there was room for an addendum to drastically improve your cycle, this is it. Hell, I didn't even have a compelling reason (or any reason, really) for my upward trend, and I'm pretty convinced that it gave me a boost. Keep those grades up, nail the LSAT, and-especially if you're able to come in around 3.5-you should be in good shape for a top school.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:48 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:I don't think anyone is going to be able to predict exactly how that will impact your admissions, especially since it's so subjective and could affect different adcoms differently. Did you take the LSAT though? I don't see a score. Graduating with a 3.5ish GPA your chances are going to vary DRASTICALLY based on your LSAT.

When the time comes to apply you can write an "addendum" about your experience with your dad and your resulting grade drop -- it's rare than I hear a story that sounds worthy of one, but that does.

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

three

New

Post by three » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:54 pm

hey, thanks for all your help guys. my dream is to go to university of michigan... i don't even know that much about the school but friends tell me that it's pretty amazing. i haven't actually taken the lsat yet..i think i'm going to start taking classes next summer. do most people take the test in fall of their senior year?

again, i appreciate all the helpful info.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Lots of people on here had crappy averages after their freshman year of ugrad and ended up with decent final GPA's. I had a 2.5 average after freshman year and a final 3.48. Like others have said though, in this situation the main thing determining your placement at an elite law school will be your score on the lsat. You have a very touching story and an upward trend in grades, now study hard for the lsat and you will have a chance at UM.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:31 pm

three wrote:hey, thanks for all your help guys. my dream is to go to university of michigan... i don't even know that much about the school but friends tell me that it's pretty amazing. i haven't actually taken the lsat yet..i think i'm going to start taking classes next summer. do most people take the test in fall of their senior year?

again, i appreciate all the helpful info.

I think a lot of people take it in their senior year, but that should not be your concern. Make sure that when you actually take the LSAT that you are completely prepared. For Ann Arbor that means your going to wanna be looking at 170+ PT average (preferably 175ish in case you miss a few due to stress on test day).

I would encourage you to check out the LSAT Prep thread and follow one of the methods such as Pithypike's Guide

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:41 pm

I would say taking it June of your junior year is the best bet if you're planning on not taking time off. I'm sorry about your father also; if it isn't too fresh, articulating the experience well could help your application.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 pm

So sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine. Perhaps you can work it into your personal statement or at least a gpa addendum. Good luck.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:12 pm

memphisbelle wrote:So sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine. Perhaps you can work it into your personal statement or at least a gpa addendum. Good luck.
This is solid advice. Although it may be difficult to come back to this place (OP), writing your PS about this struggle will put your PS in a class of PS's that are rare and actually have an effect on your overall profile. When I read your story it was touching, and adcoms are going to take this factor into consideration when evaluating you.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:12 pm

I wish you the best of luck with your applications when the times comes! I hope everything turns out as you want it to.

However, if you don't get into the schools you want and you suspect it might be because of the GPA factor, working for a year or two can help boost your resume, so you can reapply with better chances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”