Send applications before retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Futuristic

New

Send applications before retake?

Post by Futuristic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:40 pm

I am retaking/reapplying this fall. I'm retaking the LSAT in October (156), but want to apply as soon as possible. Should I send my apps in as soon as they are available or wait for my retake score?

FYI:
I'm an AA male shooting for a 170+ and currently scoring between 160-165 on pt's. I also have a low GPA (pm for exact #). Thanks

scammedhard

Silver

Re: Send applications before retake?

Post by scammedhard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:24 pm

I don't think it matters. No one will touch your application w/o an LSAT.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:30 pm

There are pros and cons of sending in your application prior to receiving a new LSAT score.

Pro:
Your file will typically go complete sooner than if you had waited to send it.

Cons:
You can't know exactly what your score will be, you may end up applying to schools you have no chance at, or schools that you wouldn't attend with a full ride. Basically, this can cause you to loose some money.

You also will have a much harder time getting fee waivers, since you will have already applied. Again, this will cost you money.

If you want to ED somewhere, it's kind of hard to make an informed decision without knowing exactly what your score is.

My advice:
If your applications are finished and polished up, go ahead and send them to schools you realistically expect to get into that you would also seriously consider attending. Wait to send apps to safety schools and reaches until you have your score in hand.

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks for the above.

I have another question regarding fee waivers. LSAC granted me one for the past cycle, but it says it is still in effect until some date, 2012. Is this a mistake or can I use the fee waiver for this upcoming cycle as well?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Futuristic wrote:Thanks for the above.

I have another question regarding fee waivers. LSAC granted me one for the past cycle, but it says it is still in effect until some date, 2012. Is this a mistake or can I use the fee waiver for this upcoming cycle as well?
I have no idea. Also, I'm not sure if you are talking about a fee waiver to a given school, or an LSAC fee waiver.

If it's a waiver for a given school, the best way to find out would be to contact LSAC and/or the school he waiver is for.

If you are talking about a LSAC need based fee waiver I would assume that it may still be useable, given that your financial situation has not changed; contact LSAC to find out one way or the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 pm

The LSAC fee waiver. I will just contact them to make sure.

I also think I will just submit my apps as soon as I get my score. However, if I feel comfortable with my pt average and I'm confident after sitting on the exam I may send a few off immediately. Anyway thanks again buckilaw

acadec

Bronze

Post by acadec » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:32 pm

AA males command an unbelievable amount of influence on their LS apps. You could apply the day of the deadline and get into schools way above your medians. Go ahead and wait until you have your scores; it won't affect your cycle. And good luck! Just out of curiosity, what's your GPA?

Futuristic

New

Post by Futuristic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 pm

acadec wrote:AA males command an unbelievable amount of influence on their LS apps. You could apply the day of the deadline and get into schools way above your medians. Go ahead and wait until you have your scores; it won't affect your cycle. And good luck! Just out of curiosity, what's your GPA?
Sent you a pm!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”