Consequences of turning down deferred offer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Consequences of turning down deferred offer

Postby asenka » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi all,

I was accepted to a T-10 law school last year but decided to defer for a year to get some extra employment experience. No problem, but having gotten the experience, I think I may not want to attend at all, or at least not for another couple years. But I'm really worried about what might happen if I turn down the offer. There was definitely a clause on the deferral contract saying I will attend X school in the fall of 2011. What are the consequences of turning down an offer once you have had it deferred? Does such an action go on a record, and will I drastically decrease my chances of being accepted at law school in the future?

If you know of any official sites with more info, let me know.



Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: Consequences of turning down deferred offer

Postby deadhipsters » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:20 pm

I could be wrong, but I think as long as you don't choose to attend another law school that same year it shouldn't be an issue.

User avatar

Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Consequences of turning down deferred offer

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:21 pm

I understood from your post that you have definitely decided to not attend. That being the case, I'm not at all speaking from experience, but if it were me in your situation, given that you have already made up your mind, I would contact the school and see how they felt about your decision.

True that T10 school may not be as excited to take you the next time you apply, but I would be surprised if they informed other schools. You should ask them about this specifically.

At the end of the day I would think that a T10 wouldn't have too much trouble pulling a qualified applicant off of their waitlist once you withdraw, and likely ITE your situation is not so uncommon.

Mary Poppins

Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Consequences of turning down deferred offer

Postby Mary Poppins » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:39 pm

If you're undecided now and there's a chance you want to go to this law school in the future, just contact them to see if you can defer for another year. The school is in it to make money. It would rather have you as a possibility in the future than risk having you (i.e. your money) go to another school.


Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Consequences of turning down deferred offer

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 pm

I knew a guy who deferred from CLS a second year (after he had deferred for only one year in the first place) to work on a campaign. You could check to see if this is an option

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests