work experience (waiter) count as soft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
senorhosh

work experience (waiter) count as soft?

Postby senorhosh » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:07 am

From freshman year to senior year, I've been working working to pay my school fees.
These include server at a restaurant, tutor, manual labor at a warehouse, and working in a chem lab (nonresearch).

As a splitter app, my "softs" will probably be important for that little "push".
I have no volunteering, extracurricular clubs, frats, etc.

My question is, does work experience (manual labor) count as softs?

cinephile

Re: work experience (waiter) count as soft?

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 am

Your work experience counts as a soft. It's not as strong as a some softs (Rhodes Scholar, Fulbright, etc.), but it's decent.

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:17 am

Thank you for your question. As I am sure you know, putting yourself through college is quite admirable. You may want to take the opportunity to discuss balancing work and college, the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. This would help explain why you did not have much time for extracurricular activities. If you explain your decisions and the give a window into the values that motivated you, you will leave the admissions committee with a positive impression and you should advance your candidacy. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Board of Directors, PepsiCo

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:18 pm

senorhosh wrote:From freshman year to senior year, I've been working working to pay my school fees.
These include server at a restaurant, tutor, manual labor at a warehouse, and working in a chem lab (nonresearch).

As a splitter app, my "softs" will probably be important for that little "push".
I have no volunteering, extracurricular clubs, frats, etc.

My question is, does work experience (manual labor) count as softs?

What are your numbers? The range of school you are applying to makes a difference in whether or not they will care. I worked through ugrad and none of the schools I applied to seemed to care or count it as a positive (it's not that uncommon). They went off my numbers.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:28 pm

jdMission wrote:Thank you for your question. As I am sure you know, putting yourself through college is quite admirable. You may want to take the opportunity to discuss balancing work and college, the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. This would help explain why you did not have much time for extracurricular activities. If you explain your decisions and the give a window into the values that motivated you, you will leave the admissions committee with a positive impression and you should advance your candidacy. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Co-Founder and Consultant jdMission

Don't listen to this person. They're just posting here to try to get some idiots to pay for them to be their admissions consultants.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:34 pm

jdMission wrote:Thank you for your question. As I am sure you know, putting yourself through college is quite admirable. You may want to take the opportunity to discuss balancing work and college, the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. This would help explain why you did not have much time for extracurricular activities. If you explain your decisions and the give a window into the values that motivated you, you will leave the admissions committee with a positive impression and you should advance your candidacy. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Co-Founder and Consultant jdMission

Interest in law school must be tanking, and this dude is desperately looking for work.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Your WE would be the weakest soft there is...if it is at all. Lots of people work during undergrad. Many more have 1-3 years of full-time employment between undergrad and law school. While you worked, there is nothing in your list that suggests leadership, intellectually challenging, or a job you'd learn a lot from.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:00 pm

I almost feel sorry for Sunitha. Drumming up business in an internet community packed with members who would gleefully give you better advice than he would, and won't charge you for it. And then getting called out on it repeatedly.

Sunitha... buddy... if you want to contribute fine. But you're not, you're advertising. Take out the signatures with your name and company, edit your profile info so it doesn't have your number and website all over it, just be an honest contributor and then you'll earn some cred around here. I'm surprised the mods haven't done something about your profile info, which is blatant advertising.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:04 pm

senorhosh wrote:My question is, does work experience (manual labor) count as softs?

Only insofar as you can write a diversity essay about working your way through college (and to fill up a resume). But, honestly, it won't be huge.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:13 pm

No it's not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”