Addendum Required?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nids333

Addendum Required?

Postby nids333 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:09 am

I took a semester off of undergrad to complete an internship. I listed this position on my resume, but should I include a separate addendum noting this? I noticed Cornell's past application asked one to explain a gap in their education. I don't want to insult adcomms by pointing this out, in the case that they noticed it. However, I do want to bring it to their attention incase they did miss this position on my resume.

DocHawkeye

Re: Addendum Required?

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:16 am

Did you recieve credit from your UG for the internship? If so, then its not really a gap, right?

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:23 am

If I were in your shoes, I'd call admissions; and if admissions gave me a wishy-washy response, I'd include the addendum just to be safe.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:38 am

I did not receive credit from my Undergrad for the internship. Should I call the admissions office for all law schools or just those that ask you to explain a gap?

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:41 am

Pretty sure the gap will be self-explanatory when they see your resume. It's common for student to take a semester off for fall term and spring term internships and they see numerous applicants who do so each cycle. I seriously doubt this needs an addendum, but calling them wouldn't hurt.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I'd definitely call them to see what they say. Though I'd err on the side of caution here - explaining why you took the semester off for the internship. It's usually better to make something clear than risk a misinterpretation.

If you are getting a third LoR from someone at the internship, you could also have them mention it there. It might be a little more fluid there than in an addendum.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks for everyone's advice! I think I'm just going to contact the office of admissions for each law school I'm applying to and then determine if an addendum is necessary.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:02 am

nids333 wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice! I think I'm just going to contact the office of admissions for each law school I'm applying to and then determine if an addendum is necessary.

FWIW, every time I had to contact an admissions office to ask a question like this (whether having completed a graduate degree five years ago and now entering law school constituted a "break" in my graduate education), they were very helpful and had a pat answer - they were able to tell me straight up on the phone. Good luck with your applications!

Edit: spelling.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”