"Soft" application items- how far can they take you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: "Soft" application items- how far can they take you?

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:55 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Teaching is fulfilling, it's just not sustainable for me. It probably makes a difference that I teach in a very rough neighborhood.

There's a lot to say about our education system as a whole, but the short version of the story is that no one knows what's wrong with it, so no one knows how to fix it. If only it were as simple as just teaching and learning. lol.

I've spent four years teaching at a community college, dealing with kids of have failed at virtually everything, are afraid of school, and just want a second chance, so I know how you feel. For me, teaching has been an interesting game to play for a while but I don't feel like I'm making a big enough difference so its time to move on.

Re: "Soft" application items- how far can they take you?

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 am

bp shinners wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:For example, by some projections, an applicant with my same gpa and a 161 has about a 5.26% chance of getting into Hastings (about 1/18).

P.S.- I know there are people who are children of politicians, and people who performed some one-in-a-million tasks. I mean on average.

Those 5.26% of people who applied with your numbers and gained admissions were URMs.

Your softs are certainly strong, and stronger than average, but you really can't tell who will be applying with you. A 5% chance means that you have a chance; if you can raise your LSAT, though, you'll have a better chance (much more so than adding more softs). I'd focus on the LSAT, then write an amazing PS and roll the dice. Softs aren't going to redefine your application chances, but they do sometimes help you roll the hard six.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”