Should I take the new job or head off to Vandy? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Head to Vandy or take the job?

Vanderbilt
58%
Job
42%

Total votes: 26

nosaj123

New

Should I take the new job or head off to Vandy?

Post by nosaj123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm

I have been planning to head to Vanderbilt in the fall, but a corporate recruiter just called to offer me a new job (the job is mine as long as I don't blow the interview). I've already (mostly) made my decision about whether or not to take the job, but I'm curious to get your thoughts, just in case there is something I overlooked when making this decision.

Vanderbilt: Vanderbilt seems pretty awesome. I am very interested in going to law school, look forward to the challenge, like to learn, and have a lot of friends in Nashville. Also, a rich relative who I never knew just died and left an educational trust; Vandy will be almost entirely paid for, but I can never touch the money for anything other than college or grad school.

The Job: The job is in a (smallish) city where I'd be very happy, the work is interesting, and the pay is ~80k/yr. There is some room for upward mobility, but not a lot. Of course, there is always a chance that I take the job and then we realize that it's not a good fit, and I may be pressured to leave at that point. There are very few opportunities for somebody with my experience, so if I lose this job, it is very unlikely that I'll be able to find another job anywhere close to as good. Finally, I would have to work hard my first 1-3 years to develop a framework for my projects (8-7 with some weekends), but would then work consistent 8-5:30 M-F to just maintain my projects.

So what do you think and why?

Edit:
- A management job in the corporate headquarters of a retailer
- After Vanderbilt I would be looking to return to a medium/small city
Last edited by nosaj123 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTal

Silver

Re: Should I take the new job or head off to Vandy?

Post by MTal » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Need more description as to the type of job. Management, sales?

nosaj123

New

Post by nosaj123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 pm

MTal wrote:Need more description as to the type of job. Management, sales?
Management. I would work at the corporate headquarters for a retailer.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:24 pm

IB Mtal says "take the job"

nosaj123

New

Post by nosaj123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:IB Mtal says "take the job"
IB Mtal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 pm

I'd take the job. If nothing else, it'll look really good if you later decide to go to law school.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:27 pm

btw, I wouldn't trust the recruiter that the job is "all but yours". Recruiters can be a slimy bunch. I worked in a recruiting office and while my office was very nice and responsible, some of our competitors were a slimy bunch.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Definitely take the job. Management and leadership skills are highly valued everywhere and are transferable to a multitude of places.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:29 pm

You can always go to law school later. If you think you'd enjoy the job, why not try it out?

In reality both of your options are fairly low risk so go with the one you prefer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:30 pm

How old are you, fresh out of undergrad?

nosaj123

New

Post by nosaj123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Cade McNown wrote:How old are you, fresh out of undergrad?
I am a few years out of undergrad. The recruiter contacted me because I work for another company doing exactly what this new company wants someone to start doing for them.

nosaj123

New

Post by nosaj123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:btw, I wouldn't trust the recruiter that the job is "all but yours". Recruiters can be a slimy bunch. I worked in a recruiting office and while my office was very nice and responsible, some of our competitors were a slimy bunch.
Thanks for the warning. The recruiter's feedback actually came after I had a phone interview with the VP I would be reporting to if I took the job, so I'm feeling pretty good about actually being able to get the job if I want it. I know where you're coming from though, I've spoken to recruiters who called me in for jobs that were horrible matches....

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:44 pm

nosaj123 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:btw, I wouldn't trust the recruiter that the job is "all but yours". Recruiters can be a slimy bunch. I worked in a recruiting office and while my office was very nice and responsible, some of our competitors were a slimy bunch.
Thanks for the warning. The recruiter's feedback actually came after I had a phone interview with the VP I would be reporting to if I took the job, so I'm feeling pretty good about actually being able to get the job if I want it. I know where you're coming from though, I've spoken to recruiters who called me in for jobs that were horrible matches....
I've been working for a few years as well and if you're interested in law school and it's something you really want to do, go now. I would not wait a moment longer. Life happens and if you're getting it paid for, why on earth would you delay?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:44 pm

nosaj123 wrote:
Ok, if you've already had an initial interview than you are likely fine.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:IB Mtal says "take the job"
nice get.

OP, come back to us when you have an actual job offer

nids333

Bronze

Post by nids333 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 am

Go to law school! Even based on your descriptions of both options, it seems that you are leaning towards this. You have also worked for several years and understand what it is like to be in the real world. In addition, your trust is another pro for going to law school.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 am

nosaj123 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:How old are you, fresh out of undergrad?
I am a few years out of undergrad. The recruiter contacted me because I work for another company doing exactly what this new company wants someone to start doing for them.
I say LS. Youve already been in workforce for a few years and are still considering LS. If it is something you truly want then go for it. It sounds like this job is "just a job" to you. I could be wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 am

The answer for me is law school.

Mainly the fact that you're a few years out (aka still young) and you want to do it. And especially with it paid for.
And if you're going to have to put those hours in, why not put those hours in at a law firm(in a few years) and have greater upward mobility for your 70 hour work weeks?

To me its completely backwards to work for a few years and build your way up, then go to law school and start back at the bottom of the ladder, when you can go to school for free and build your way up in a field you're obviously wanting to go in to.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 am

If you want to go to law school, go now. If you want to workin middle management, take the job. There's no point in delaying law school longer if you know know you eventually want to go.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 am

duckmoney wrote:If you want to go to law school, go now. If you want to workin middle management, take the job. There's no point in delaying law school longer if you know know you eventually want to go.
The middle management job could lead to upper management in time (whether that's 5 or 20 years).

I have a decent job and credentials, and if I don't get the kind of employment prospects out of law school that I want, I can return to that job, and continue leveraging those pre-existing credentials. However I will have lost three years of income and have accumulated a significant level of debt. Likewise for you, if you don't get the employment prospects you seek, you can return to your field. If we looked at this from a financial perspective only, then yes it is a huge risk. My rationale was, that even if I don't get the job I want out of law school, it's okay because I still will have gotten three years of education at a great school in a topic I am genuinely interested in, and I will have learned how to be a more logical and thoughtful person. That education will, hopefully, make me a better and wiser person in perpetuity until I die, and therefore is worth the financial risk. If it pays off financially in the long-run, then that's even better (and I think it probably will for you, if you seek the right opportunities). But people shouldn't attend law school for strictly vocational purposes.

It's definitely better to do while you're younger. But the job seems like it pays well, you're already talented in that field, and it's in the type of region you want to be in. You won't find a lot of law jobs that will compensate better in the long-run than that management job in small/mid-markets. But you could find jobs that compensate comparably.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”